The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kid heckler situation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Hi Billy that's also why the number of spoilt unruly brats is increasing.

I do that as well george if ignoring them doesn't work.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1322 Posts

Profile of lynnef
This is kind of related to the overall topic ... but what's the earliest age set for card tricks? I've noticed pre-teens who try to burn you ... but still love the entertainment. On the other hand, I've had an 8 year old actually examine cards midway thru the trick!! yikes! By the way, I don't consider either case to be "heckling".
ericsharp
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ericsharp
The hecklers question had Muriel and I thinking and us never having this problem and why. In the forties and fifties, just after the second world war the new generation of children had never seen a magic show and children’s entertainers were few. Only the rich had birthday parties with entertainment included with Factories and the numerous coal collieries and clubs etc wanting entertainment at Xmas time. We learnt a sharp lesson very early on when we did a birthday party at a mansion at Monmouth, the next day were at another mansion near Manorbear near Tenby in the opposite direction by about 150 miles, a long way in British entertainers term, and there were exactly the same nine children as the day before and we had exactly the same tricks. We did have time to reappraise, and with the use of four silks produced our live rabbit from a girls hat and produced the dove from the drawer box instead of the rabbit, a couple of games and a different extended P & J show got us fortunately. From then on we never did a set show. Muriel would ask the booker where we had been seen before (giggling mothers would usually say their child wanted Uncle Earache and the clock trick, the birthday child knowing they would win a nice present with the clock dial trick) and even if we were doing four or five shows in the day each show would be changed to make sure nothing was repeated. Even then the beauty of it was that we always worked together so if we suspected someone had seen a particular trick before, a glance towards Muriel and it would be changed. Also if the age group were older or younger for the age a glance to Muriel and with the replacement of a couple of tricks would solve that problem. We have also given thought as to what to do if someone should say ‘I’ve seen it.’ Well the first thing is you must not et the child realise you heard them. Next put the trick down say ‘Oh yes! Here is something I wanted to show you first.’ You then do another trick and by the time you continue they would have forgotten about the other. We did this now and again if a prop was set wrongly or damaged, but working with Muriel it did mean that a wrongly set trick would be usable by the end of the nest trick.Eric and Muriel
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
It's OK doing different tricks for different audiences if you don't have too many shows. I now do well over 400 shows per year, and if I were to do a different show for every audience that had seen me before, I would need hundreds of tricks. The magic would not be as polished as it is now, and I probably wouldn't come accross as professional as I do now either. Children arn't bothered if they've seen it before. My rabbit puppet routine has been going now for nearly 2 years, nothing much has changed in that routine, yet the children cant wait to see him. I get asked over and over when Dusty (puppet)is coming out. So they don't worry if they've seen it before, it's only the entertainers that worry. I certainly don't.

I do however change my normal show once a year, but that's mainly to stop me from getting bored with doing the same thing year after year.
ericsharp
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ericsharp
We also did over 400 shows per year and 70 to 80 shows every year during the first 23 days at xmas,(recorded in Abracadabra Weekly Magazine at the time) which was quite possible here in S.Wales as Traffic was light and distances were short owing to villages and venues here in the Rhondda very compact. We found no trouble adapting each show. We did have a Volvo Estate and Muriel was there to pack so that with Punch & Judy being last and the booth made to go up or down in less than fourteen seconds we were out of the building in half a minute of ending the show. Cannot be done now as traffic is now too conjested and speed cameras. Xmas day we were tired bit happy. Eric and Muriel
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1608 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2004-12-08 14:25, RJE wrote:
Hahaha, I love the blindfolded thing Eric, I'd do it. It would satisfy Philip's theory of the kid wanting attention. There they'd be up front. If they got a little goofy about it, play it up, what the heck, if the audience laughs and is being entertained, then it satisfies Emazdad's idea of being entertaining. Roll with it. Some kids are goin' to be a pain in the a...udience, expect it and go with it. One thing I would try to avoid is looking mean in the kid's eye's, otherwise, have fun.

My favourite story about troublesome kids is from a magician friend who used to go over and shake the kid's hand while standing on the kid's foot and applying the weight. Under his breath, he'd tell the kid to smarten up. Now that I would never do, but it makes a great story.

I wonder who told you that real story?
It must be someone goes by the name of T/R.
You should be at a mall making lots of money.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Haha, yes indeed Tricky Ricky, it was you who told me that great story. Although I admit it is something I have thought of doing (and worse, hehehe)I wouldn't dare.

Merry Christmas Richard!
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Great stories Eric and Muriel. When we first started there was a Mr and Mrs Stanley Woods in Cheshire who travelled round in a VW campervan with a portable single manual electronic organ, Punch and Judy, Magic, Vent Doll etc. They both apparently lived well into their 80s. Don't know whether you had ever heard of them? We came into the business 26 years ago, and well, time moves on doesn't it?

What used to be an hour between lunchtime and afternoon parties now has to be 2 hours due to traffic.

Regarding hecklers, we just treat kids with kindness for as long as possible. It usually works. If it doesn't then a quiet but firm schoolmaster type word in the ear . . . you know the score. Of course, we all have Political Correctness to deal with now Eric and Muriel - but that's another thread isn't it! (Hey Ho!).

Tony (and Sue)
:birthday:
ericsharp
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ericsharp
Billy Whizz we appreciate your comments with regards blindfold. Richard Lyn has the right approach, do it the correct way and everything is turned into a laugh.

The child say's 'Seen it.' You ask them up and sit them on a chair facing right. Perf. 'Johnny here has seen this trick so he doesn't want to see it again, I have a cure for that, This blindfold.' Place the blindfold on as if you have ttriumphed and turn the chair facing the audience and it is seen that whilst the left eye if covered the other isn't, there is a hole in the blindfold or silk ovrer the other eye. You carry on but the childreen cannot make you realise the child can still see. You boasting all the time they cannot see what you are doing.
You did of course put the child at ease when they first came up with your usual laughter making introduction of comic shaking hands or whatever. Eric and Muriel
thesecretllama
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Oh
41 Posts

Profile of thesecretllama
I'm not sure how the child saying "I've seen this one" spoils the show. Now, if the the child runs up, tries to grab a prop or whatever, then you have a situation. That can be handled differently. I'm not talking about providing positive immediate and certain consequences for undesirable behavior. I'm talking about gifting the whole group. Not every kid thinks "getting" to help in the show is a reward. There are many children who do not like the attention. I'm talking about learning to control the whole audience with the one child and precisely at the same time, dealing with a POTENTIALLY difficult child. My solution deals with the child before it becomes a problem.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Hi Eric and Muriel, your last post makes a lot more sense to me. I can understand the fun and business side of it now, but your first post on blindfolding them gave the impression that you got them up, put a blind fold on and then left them sat there for the whole trick.

Billy
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Last night I had one, all the way through the show a 11 year old girl kept saying from the back "i know how you did that" "Theres a pocket in the hankie" "i know how you did that tin trick" I ignored her for a while, she wasn't spoiling the show for the others they were having fun and not listening. Finally though once she started explaing her theories to her friends around her I decided one may turn into 3 so I said "Wow you must be a magician as well, don't forget though you must not tell anyone how it's done it's our secret" she looked at me, did the zip the mouth move and never said another word.

I had one once who told everyone what was happening, his dad was a hobbbiest magician and had shown him how everything worked. but not to keep his gob shut.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
AlmostAmazingJames
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of AlmostAmazingJames
If someone says "I know this one" say I do too. Usually this works
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Usually when they say this, they say it not because they hate it.. it is because they are telling you that they have seen it before, had fun with it, recognize it and will want to see it again. It is strange how the minds of kids work, but by teaching them for over 10+ years now, I have come to understand what they are really trying to tell me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
First, try to ignore it.
johnjack
View Profile
New user
Staten Island New York
38 Posts

Profile of johnjack
At the beginning of my show I ask the audience who has ever seen a magician b4? Then I ask who wants to be one? I tell them that the most important thing about being a good magician is knowing how to keep a what...and b4 I can finish, my hands go to my mouth and usually several children say SECRET. It has worked for me!
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Quote:
On 2004-09-20 11:58, magic4u02 wrote:
I could do the same show to the same group of kids maybe 2 weeks apart.

Kyle

I have a hard time understanding what kind of tricks you do if that's possible. In my show I do many tricks that contain a twist at the end, and if someone tells what will happen, it destroys the fun for the others, and I lose the gasps and laughs from the audience.

Mikael
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I'm currently honing a second show for using on the odd occasion a group of kids have seen me little too much or have seen me really recently.
It's usually not a problem that they have seen you before. I have a lot's of surprises in my show but I think if the conclusion to a routine is magical or funny, as well as surprising, it still works well. Children love it even though they know what's going to happen. When I perform my second show although they enjoy the new routines a lot of them still come up after and ask about parts of my other show that they where hoping to see.
For kids that start telling everyone what's going to happen I simply ask them that if they've seen it before not to spoil all the surprises for their friends. Kids aren't daft. Most of them will see the logic in this and not want to spoil it for their mates and shut up.

George
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I did 2 shows at a pre-school the other day, 1 for the morning group, 1 for the afternoon, at least 15 of the kids are there all day and saw both shows, which means 2/3's of my afternoon audience had seen me in the morning.

Did it make a difference? yes and no,

No because they didn't care, and Yes, because the ones that saw it in the morning laughed even louder in the afternoon because knowing what ws coming built up the excitment for them.

Mind you you don't get the I know how you did it with that age group, you get more of a "Mr magician whens this going to happen" or "Mr magician you havn't donbe this bit yet."
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Erik:

I was saying that I COULD do this easily without any problems but not that I get into the habit of doing so. The main point is that I know my show is a LOT of fun and a good time and the kids enjoy it. SOOOO if I HAD to, I could do the same show to the same group and still have a great time with them. I just adapt the tricks and change my patter for them. I have learned over the years to change patter and presentation on the fly and adlib a lot in situations that call for it.

Also, remember that in my show kids do NOT enjoy the ending effect as much as they love the JOURNEY you take them on. The kids love the journey more. They love to laugh, giggle, get dressed up, have funny moments happen, have the magician mess up, have them get soemthing right etc. To them, THIS is more fun then the rabbit appearing or the rings linking again.

I am constantly learning new routines for my kids and festival style shows. Do I have to do this? NOPE. I just do it for the love of wanting to always expand my knowledge and to always strive to learn soemthing new.

By always working on new stuff, I have learned to think creatively and I have become a much better creative thinker. Each time I try it, the routines get better and better.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kid heckler situation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL