We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Banachek products (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1178 Posts

Profile of Banachek
I hate to promote my own products, I kind of feel dirty when I do so. However, many can't remember the magicinspirations.com address when it comes to purchasing my products as a result I now have the

http://www.banachekproducts.com

address to make it easier. It forwards to the other address. Hope this helps. Also the fact we now take credit cards and paypal should help our customers. Thanks again and sorry for the advert.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Graham_Salisbury
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Profile of Graham_Salisbury
I'm shocked and appalled!

;o)
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yes, how dare you Steve, I'm going back to being a plumber immediately!!!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1420 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Say, "Five Our Father's and Three Hail Mary's", and you will be forgiven. And then I'll check out the new address, to see the great stuff and enjoy ! Thanks Steve!

Peace
John
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
What a fantastic looking website! You must have hired a very talented person to help you out with that Smile
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Banachek,

You're in the enviable position of being someone who can only help us by promoting your products.

Best,
James.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Banachek,
That first photo (in the upper-right corner) - is that a shot of you performing PK Touches?
It certainly looks like it, and I don't remember that specific moment from the DVD set...
Hello.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Banachek, chances are that if you hadn't put that info up you'd get about 3000 e mails wanting the info any way, you've saved yourself a lot of work Smile

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2004-09-20 16:37, Stephen Long wrote:
Banachek,
That first photo (in the upper-right corner) - is that a shot of you performing PK Touches?
It certainly looks like it, and I don't remember that specific moment from the DVD set...

I think there is a lot of stuff performed at the L & L place but not all is put onto the dvds.

Like on the Osterlind dvds during the credits at the end there is a shot of a girl like rubbing her head and Osterlind is doing the same. Maybe like she is sending him something or he is. But my point is, she wasnt even used during the performances of the dvds (To my best memory)
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Quote:
On 2004-09-20 16:37, Stephen Long wrote:
Banachek,

I also noticed that
And if you check the site, you'll see several other photos for the same performance for L&L, with material that didn't make it to the final video :

http://www.magicinspirations.net/specials.htm

Check Banachek Blindfolded and the last photo with that strange figure on the table.
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1024 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Quote:

And if you check the site, you'll see several other photos for the same performance for L&L, with material that didn't make it to the final video :

http://www.magicinspirations.net/specials.htm

Check Banachek Blindfolded and the last photo with that strange figure on the table.

Many of the audience reaction shots used in the promos and on the website were taken from a special performance that was done for the studio audience only but not explained nor shown on the finished DVD's. Perhaps they might be on a future DVD [tease].

The strange figure in the bottom photo and referred to is a voodoo doll that Banachek used in one of his routines.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Quote:
On 2004-09-20 18:00, Scott Wells wrote:
Perhaps they might be on a future DVD [tease].

.... ahhhh I hope so,
The thing with this kind of material (Psi-Series in this case) is that it is so good, that even after 4 feature-packed Videos, One is still craving for more!
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1178 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Thanks Salsa Smile yes a very talented web designer Smile and a very much appreciated one at that too as you well know!

As for the question of the other footage. I really do not want to put my own stage show on video as I am using it to make my living. Already I feel I have put too much of what I actually use all the time into books and on videos. When I stop using a routine then maybe I will put it on dvd or in a book, but I don't want a bunch of people doing my show, otherwise there would be no reason for a company, college or tv show to hire me over someone else.

This often becomes a problem for people like Osterlind, Max Maven, myself and others. Quite often people see us perform and assume that something we are doing in our live show must be up for grabs since it is probably in our notes or books somewhere, they then go out and start using lines and bits of business without asking or doing any research to see if it is public domain. It is a common easy mistake to make.

Hence many people quoting Max at a lecture when asked what he would do if some incident sould happened when he was performing the effect he was teaching, "what makes you think I would teach you anything I would perform?" Now not sure Max actually said that, but I have heard the quote a few times and at first response it sounds a little rude, but when you really think about it, it is not. What could be more natural than teaching things you do not do? So long as they are usuable and entertaining there is nothing wrong with this. We don't want a bunch of clones in mentalism. How many times have you been to a convention and seen the same effect performed by almost every magician in the lineup? Zombie ball, color changing silks etc;. Now we have tons of people doing a flashback booktest, pk touches and all looking the same. It is something I keep hoping will not happen in mentalism and at times something I wonder if I contribute to?

Please keep in mind, we do keep a few things for ourselves or we would go crazy every time we see someone doing out act Smile Keeping our live show private and not purchasable is how it should be. We are not singers, our uniquness partly comes from our characters however it is also deriviative of the effect we leave on our audience and a major part of that is the effects we perform. I would hate to hear someone say about a mentalist, "oh, I have seen that one before!" much as they often do with magic.

IF there was a way to teach people to create their own effects by showing what we do live, I might be more open to it, but as is I have not found a way to inspire that, and that alone by showing all my patter and routine that I use.

I hope this all makes sense and does not sound too abrasive, it was not meant to be, just an explanation of why I have no intention of putting my show on tape just yet to sell.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Totally Agree!
I my case, I was refering to the performance pieces, not to the effects at all.

You see, I've already posted the same kind of message on several other threads : I'm located in a country where it would be more that impossible to see performers as you, Osterlind or Maven.
Even on TV, the programs are extremly dated!

So, my only recourse are videos.
And by watching those pictures I can only fantasize about how great it'd be to be there watching what a live audience sees when you perform live!

Juan D
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
For the quality of the materials you offer Banacheck, your products deserve the promotion.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
I remember Max Maven saying on one of his VideoMind tapes that the effects he's teaching were no longer in his working repertoire. I would never expect anyone to teach something they still use, but I do hope they would teach something they used in the past. That's why I stay with the established names in buying material.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I am appalled by the self promotion. Now I shall go to the site and spend all my hard earned money from my new theater show at the Live Bait theater in Chicago which will air every weekend in October. You could always see the websites below for more info.

Now off to support Banachek.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-09-20 19:05, Banachek wrote:
Thanks Salsa Smile yes a very talented web designer Smile and a very much appreciated one at that too as you well know!

Banachek,

It was a pleasure to work with both of you, I should make my apologies for slipping in a plug for my own services on top of yours Smile

I wish you all the success with it, and I will also add that if anyone is UK based, the speed of service is excellent! Take advantage of the exchange rate.

I agree totally that you should keep your best effects close to your chest, this area of 'magic' is, as you say, in danger of becoming an army of clones, which is a shame as it has so much more potential to be something a lot more theatrical and individual.

On the other side of the coin, those that grow and develop ideas and presentation will stand out from the crowd. I guess in these instances it is at least good to have a crowd to stand out in Smile

Regards,

Richard
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
507 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
I am afraid I disagree with Banachek (ut ohhh!!!)

As someone who spends a lot of time around kids in schools, I cannot imagine anything worse than someone teaching something that they do not use / practice.

I may be able to give a brief summary of who /what / how but I wouldn't even begin to start trying it and helping someone else to try it if it wasn't something I do.

For example, Penn and Tellers Bullet catch, which was invented by Banachek. Would this be as well performed by them if it was taught by Scott Wells??

Curt.
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Curtis,

I understand what you are saying but the principles you are talking about are slightly different.

Within the teaching there is a basic understanding that must be taught first, I think performers like Banachek, Osterlind et al provide this within their literature/DVD's etc.

The development of character and ideas must be from the individual after learning the basics, they can be guided in the right direction from this point. I think what Banachek is talking about is teaching the effects that are his key, signature pieces that are the mainstay of his show. In effect he is giving away the basics but allowing people to develop their own intermediate work with assistance.

If I was to learn all your effects as a beginner, what would then stop me from stealing your livelihood?

Let me give you an example from another field of performing art, a big love of mine, dance. I have taught for many, many years and I teach thousands of people things that I never use myself. The reason for this is that when I dance I keep to basic moves that I have developed over the years with my own style and energy. When I dance these basic moves alongside someone else they are unrecognisable, yet they are the same.

I give people the basic moves and then with guidance I help them develop their own style. This is no different to what we see in this art.

I disagree with the sentiment that beginners are not allowed to adopt a 'style' of a performer. I just think that at some stage they should break free and gain the freedom of their own personality, sadly this happens very infrequently.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Banachek products (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL