The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Making Large Crates for Too Many Props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Hi everyone,

I am trying to make some large crates for my stage show. I am trying to keep them under 150 pounds and under 165 inches so I can ship them Fed Ex Ground. The crates will be large (close to the limit on size and weight). My problem is, I don't know if I should use 1/2 inch plywood or 3/4 inch. I would like to use 1/2 inch to keep the weight down but I don't know if they will be sturdy enough? Also, should I use recessed handles? Any ideas on the best wheels to use?

I read an article that Lance Burton wrote, and he said that your crates should be painted "red" so they are less likely to get lost. Any ideas on this?

Thanks for your help,

Dakota Rose
Dream things that never were and say, "Why not."

Junior Editor Linking Ring - Youth Forum

www.dakotarosemagic.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Legend was there was a magician who painted his crates orange to make certain they stood out. They said that if something was backstage that his people thought they could use, somehow its crate got a coat of orange paint!

I don't know wood strengths well enough to give you a recommendation. I would go with 1/2" and make certain the dimensions were small enough that you wouldn't have a catastrophe! But I do recommend some really bright color or distinctive color scheme so that you can always find your stuff backstage.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Half-inch should be fine. Previously, I'd posted the idea of using large coolers as crates. They're really light, fit airline standards as checked baggage, and, if they get busted up, they're cheap to replace. (and no one ever thinks about stealing them.)
glassbox
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of glassbox
And they REALLY make you look professional!!!!

Just thinking outside the glass box!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
How Heavy will the Crates and your Props Weigh Inside of Them will they still be the Limit.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Speaking of painting orange, I painted mine blue to match my show....just bought one from a thrift and use it as a stand and carrier.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Great Ideal how about if I paint prison stripes on mine. Don,
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Someone must make molded plastic crates of the right size. They can be rather sturdy and light. Also, the prices are quite low.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Dakota:

For the size crates you have in mind, 3/4" plywood is overkill -- not always a bad thing, but since you'll be paying for shipping, go light.

Using 1/2" ply is more than sufficient for normal usage, but construction is going to be critical. The dynamic loading on a case (shifting forces applied to various points inside and outside) will require careful attention to detail, most especially at the corners.

Sincerely,
Leland Stone
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Making Large Crates for Too Many Props (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL