The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Run Rabbit Run Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Can anyone point me to a good routine
for "Run Rabbit Run"? Any advice on
"do's and don't's"?

Thanks--

Flimnar

P.S. My apologies if this has already been
answered a dozen times--I have no luck
with the Café search option.

Additional question--how do you run the rabbit
back and forth while appearing not to notice? Isn't
it obvious how the rabbit is running?

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Keep in mind that kids are not as much in to the effect or trick as they are in the JOURNEY to get there. This means they are more into the laughter and comedy and fun along the way that leads up to the effect ending.

When you move the rabbit. Just do NOT look down at it. look straight ahead and be talking to the kids and using hand motions as your talking as the other hand moves the rabbit. The kids will be laughing to much at the rabbit moving, to really care or wonder how it is. To them, it is just good fun.

As for a routine, you have to use your imagination. When doing this for younger children, I always try to come up with patter ideas and presentations that they can relate to.

With this in mind, for b-day parties I use a story where it is the rabbits b-day and next store grandma rabbit lives. Grandma went to hawaii on vacation and the parents are keeping the presents over there so that little junior can not get to them before it is time to open them. of course all the by play along the way with the rabbit sneaking over is just good fun and humor. But the basic story line the kids can relate to and it gives a good lesson learned at the end.

Now this basic plot can be used during the holidays by just changing it around to presents or holiday gifts. Just change the patter slightly and you customize the routine to fit the show.

Let me know if you would like additional ideas.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
This is a very popular routine, and sure to get a great response from younger children, so don't fear the obvious mechanics of it. Main thing is not to pad these sucker tricks out for too long. I still also use the old Supreme 'Harry The Happy Ghost' version which I find has even more impact than Rabbit. I think anyone who refuses to apply these type of routines to very young children for various reasons, is missing out on a lot, and so are their audiences!

Cheers, Tony.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
I think anyone who refuses to apply these type of routines to very young children for various reasons, is missing out on a lot, and so are their audiences!

HI,
I agree with you Ace except I would change the words "these type routines to" to "these types of business for" As you said it is the business part not the mechanics that the kids enjoy. So I just take the same type of business and apply it to an effect that is a little less obvious mechanicaly and suits my personality better.
phillip
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Oooooooh, you're so defensive Phillip. Now why did you think I had you in mind here . . . ?

(How does this smiley thing work? - oh blow it I'll just type in SMILEY SMILEY SMILEY!)
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I always talk about his girlfriend lives in the other side this gets a laugh with the girlfriend, not wife as they don’t find it funny. So you do the usual then I say he can also do a magic trick, the world famous disappearing rabbit trick then I go into a sort of die box routine with the rabbit he eventually does disappear. Sometimes I use Elwood’s magic bag to make the rabbit reappear in and I say do you know why he was in their? It was because of the carrots he likes carrots, the kids notice there are no carrots in the bag so as you turn it out it turns into a two foot 3d carrot.

Matt
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
I intro it by asking the kids if they have pets. I ask a few to tell about them and then tell them I have a pet too and he is a rabbit named Rockey.
I then tell them I bought him a real nice little rabbit hutch with two doors. Then I tell them he's a little shy about meeting new people. Then I start into my routine. When I produce him I say silly Rabbit tricks are for kids.-Hey it works.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7414 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-09-21 20:42, flimnar wrote:
P.S. My apologies if this has already been
answered a dozen times--I have no luck
with the Café search option.

I typed "run rabbit run" into the search function, and narrowed the parameters to "the little darlings" section, and came up with 5 pages of threads. Here are a few:

Magic Café thread titled... Help on run ...... egg bag

Magic Café thread titled... Run Rabbit Run

Magic Café thread titled... What is you ......r trick?

Magic Café thread titled... Sucker Tricks

Magic Café thread titled... Too Many Sucker Tricks?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
The real strength in run rabbit run is that it easily allows you to milk the look don¡¦t see principal for all the laughs you can get. What makes this a little stronger than usual is you have a character/puppet/cutout that is apparently pulling the wool over your eyes. The rabbit takes on cheeky personality of its own and comes to life. You can get a similar situation happening with many puppet routines but these often don¡¦t involve any magical element at all.

For me the real weakness of run rabbit run is most of the props you see are poorly made & designed. You need the type that works with a lever that provide some leverage to have your cutout move the maximum distance with the minimum movement on your part. I have seem some run rabbit run props where you need to slide you entire arm across the base on order to get the rabbit to move. These props would be unacceptable to me.

I did buy a ¡¥Bakery Bear¡¦ a few years ago, but promptly returned it to the magic shop. It has quite a nice design but it not designed to last. Even the instruction say not to keep it in your car on a hot day, because it will melt out of shape.

My solution was to get my own run rabbit run custom made. I had an artist design the graphic for me. Unlike the props you see at the magic shop I had the graphics designed to enhance the illusion magical effect rather than detract from it. I even have older kids come & ask me after the show how the trick works. It is still the weakest routine magically but kids ask me how it is done more often than many other stronger effects.

If anyone is interested in doing something similar PM & I can put you in touch with my artist.

Click here to view attached image.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
That's a mighty fine rabbit hutch you got there, Andy. Very original!
Just out of curiosity how many start this routine by placing the rabbit in the hutch? I have heard some do it this way. I never have. I try to introduce my rabbit to the kids,-and he keeps running Away!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I also present the rabbit to the kids but it is him always nipping at my ear which makes me have to teach him a lesson by putting him in his room for a time out. This gives me a reason to place him inside. It alsoi adds a bunch of funny business for the kids at the start.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Run Rabbit Run Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL