The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
Hi all, Can anyone tell me if Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic is for beginners. Thanks
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Rices Encyclopedia is for every level and most of what is in the books can be adapted for use with various props. I put the complete set on my top 20 magic books.
POOF!
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Buy them all. They are well worth the money.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I'd say that the Rice's Encyclodedias should be owned by every professional who does silk magic, but I'm not so sure they're good for a beginner.

The amount of material is truely awesome. You can get a real good idea of the vast amount of effects/routines that can be done using silks. However, the Silk books were written about 40 or 50 years ago (except volume 4), and reflect those times. Back then, performing on stage with audience in front of you (and with proper distance) was more of the norm than today. So, I think a lot of the information in the books isn't very relevant to the typical performer who has to worry about angles and the audience close up. There is super material in the volumes, but my experience is I have wade through a lot of unusable information to find them. And I'm not so sure that's what a beginner wants to do.

My advice for a beginner is to start with some of Duane Laflins video tapes/DVDs and get a better idea of what you want to do in silk magic, then at a later date, get the Rice books.

I hope this helps you.

Ron
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will second Ron's reccomendation. Rice has so much material within that it overwhelms you.

Even after 25+ years, I still find new things in it that I missed or had not thought about fully before.

Duane's stuff is easy to digest and gives a very good starting point.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I love my Encyclopedia of Silk Magic set! Some stuff is for beginners and is rather easy to do and some requires more work. I agree about Duane Laflin's material. Jeff McBride also has some good tips and routines on his Stage Magic videos/DVD's. Pavel also has a silk video, however, you need different gimmicks for almost every routine that is on this video. And I would also recommend Paul Diamond's video, Symphonette in Silk, which is available from L&L Publishing for $10.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Ricardo_magician
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_magician
Hi I have read the book from my local magic club and I have found lots of useful information in it. It's a great read.

Ricardo the Magician
Leppy
View Profile
Regular user
Eden Prairie, MN
161 Posts

Profile of Leppy
How many volumes are in the full set? I have three that came from Ebay...Two of volume two, and one of volume one. The second volume of #2 was autographed, so that's why I picked up the second. I am slowly trying to build up my collection and would like to get full sets if possible.

Thanks again,

Patrick
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
There are three Volumes in the Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic series. There is a "Fourth" Volume that is often advertised as part of the Rice's series, but it is NOT part of Rice's ESM. It has a different author and different publisher and was written by Mark Trimble after dad died. It is called Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, Volume 4, not Rice's ESM, Volume 4! Dad had quite a good start on his volume four before he became ill. I still have his work on the real fourth volume. Before my dad died he sold the rights to publishing the first three volumes of Rice's ESM. They have been reprinted and available from many dealers for years. I still have some of dad's ORIGINAL Volume 3 of the Encyclopedia of Silk Magic for sale at http://www.silkkingmagic.com. if you are interested.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Are there any Easy to Do Silk Tricks in any of the Books I'll like to do a couple Silk Tricks that may not of been seen in a while. Don,
Leppy
View Profile
Regular user
Eden Prairie, MN
161 Posts

Profile of Leppy
Thank you Ruth...I will be checking out the website and looking forward to completing my collection.

Patrick
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Let me say this about that:

Get Vol 3 from Ruth, while you can. These are the ORIGINAL! They are a true collector's item, and I'm so glad I got that one when I did!

Check here for the other volumes:

http://www.tirofoginc.com/RICE'S%20ENCY......AGIC.htm

Best collection of silk magic in the world, IMO

Doug
lhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
151 Posts

Profile of lhughes
Rice's books are excellent! From the lettering to the diagrams to the extensive coverage of the topic. They really feel like a work of art. Get them!
Sleightly yours,
Lorne
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
The artist Francic B Martineau is still alive and well and living in Vancouver. He'd probably autograph them if you were in the area. He is in the phone book. You would probably have to buy him lunch though
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My last telephone conversation with Harold Rice was nearly twenty years ago about this time in 1986. He spent a great deal of the time in that conversation praising Francis B. Martineau. Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic is art in many forms. They certainly have good reason to be proud of it.

One of the odd things I remember about the mail that followed was that he signed it H.R. Rice. It was the only correspondence I ever got from him signed that way. It caught my eye.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
No Doubt, The ESM is a terrific referance piece. However for someone with a limited budget who can only buy one volume which would it be. My understadning is that each volume has a bit of everything.

Any recomendations?

Same question for Tarbell

Thanks,
Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
For those beginning in silk magic then I would recommend Volume 1 since it has a variety of silk productions and vanishes both gimmicked and ungimmicked as well as color changes and transpositions.

Jimmy
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Does Vol 1 also deal with fountains?
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Now I am confused. I thought that Hank Lee obtained the printing rights for the Rice ESM. He then published Vol. 4. The late Neil Foster told me he gave his silk fountain to Harold Rice for publishing in Vol. 4. If the partial manuscript that Harold Rice was working on for over 10 years was given to Hank Lee to publish, then it should include a section on Silk Fountains.

None of the 1st 3 Vol. deal with the silk fountain. Hopefully Ruth Rice Crone will clear this up.

Hank Lee made a special computer font from the original books so the final vol. 4 would look just like the 1st three. This was in his advertisement story.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Hi, William! Only the rights to the first three volumes were sold. Ruth Rice Crone has previously commented on this and here's the link:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=3825493

She does have her father's material he was working on for Volume 4 but no immediate plans seem to be in the works yet to have these published.

And Bruce, there is a little bit of material on the silk fountain in Volume 4 but it is not extensive. I think you are better off with Duane Laflin's DVD on the silk fountain, Paul Diamond's tape "Symphonette in Silk", and Jeff McBride convers it for a few minutes in one of his "Magic on Stage" DVD's.

Jimmy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL