The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New to mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I have never really performed mentalism, I guess because the stuff I had seen had been pretty lame. But after seeing, and hearing of some cool stuff, I would like to learn it. What would be a good learning source for someone not wanting to spend a lot of money. Where should I start?

Thanks
Brian
The great Sandwich!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6392 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
The simple, but yet effective answer: Buy 13 Steps by Corinda... read it then read it again, get some coffee, sleep some, then read it a dozen more times.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
You can start by reading all the posts in this section of The Magic Café. Pay special attention to the ones that begin with the same question as yours...
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
The classic advice is:

If you can only spent $10 or so, get Annemann's Practical Mental Effects book.

If you can spend another $25 or so, add Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism book.

If you could spend about $100 in all, I'd suggest also getting one DVD each of Osterlind's Mind Mysteries and Banachek's PSI series (but be warned, you'll want all the other DVDs of both series.)

You'll see lots of great effects that are anything but lame.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
This is the question where it is good to jump on the bandwagon - 13 Steps To Mentalism By Tony Corinda
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Go to OnLine-VISIONS and read everything I've written over the past few years... (Craig Browning's Psychic Perspectives)... You can also check out some of what's been shared at TOP HAT Ezine in the UK (via the Magic Bunny Forum).
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Another vote for Annemans Practical Mental Effects.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Get acting classes and balls of steel.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3390 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I can appreciate the mentalist's acting ability. I was not interested in mentalism either until I discovered the effects become miraculous commensurate to the acting ability of the mentalist. Much different than regular magic effects. Difficulty is finding what works for you.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6392 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2004-09-23 22:56, salsa_dancer wrote:
Get acting classes and balls of steel.

If you get the "balls of steel" at Penquin's there's no charge for shipping.
:rotf:
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
treysdaddy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of treysdaddy
Be wary of knock off "balls of steel" They'll fail on you. As always, make sure yours come from the originator.

Seriously, Corinda and Annemann texts are the foundation.
Bill
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I found it is more worthwhile if you make your own.
gareth123
View Profile
Loyal user
Rotherham UK
245 Posts

Profile of gareth123
Cant go wrong with 13 steps my friend
*is tihs migac or am i sineg aonhter wlord in wihch i nveer lvied UNTILL NOW*
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
It seems to me that the effect is nothing, it is your manner that has to make the trick. I had feed back from matrix poker, that it was lame. I just took it back out after not using it for many months, and had someone say it's the best one they've seen me do. I changed a little bit though. I'll pick up 13 steps this weekend, and maybe a video or two, thanks.

Brian
The great Sandwich!
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
What the...? don't be put off by the book seeming a bit dated, presentation can make the effects in it wonderful.
I have 3 favourites out of it I use.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
I agree 13 steps is realy what got me properly started though I did experiment with my own effects and creations before I bought the book. I did this for a while and I think it helped me a lot as I developed my way of performing, which I don't claim to be original just that I feel best in this way. I then bought 13 steps after a long time of saving. I'm realy bad with money and saving...:-(
One day I will write a book
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I'm not worried about how dated it is, as long as it has good stuff. I have seen quite a few people come to the shop and buy Theater oof the mind, how is that? I'll pick up a copy of 13 steps when I go to the shop this weekend.

Brian

I was just on Banacheck's site, now I'm interested. I'm getting a DVD this weekend.

Brian
The great Sandwich!
bluefred
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of bluefred
I relly like the fourth dvd of banacheck, the dvds of osterlind are great too and the max maven.but for the price whi you don't get some of the books mentioned here? are more cheap and you get more effects
oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
Quote:
I have seen quite a few people come to the shop and buy Theater oof the mind, how is that?
Brian

It's a great book, mixing mental magic and mentalism.
It has many powerfull routines in it, and the methods are really well described and taught.
But read 13 steps first to learn the basis and then you'll feel more confortable with a book like TOTM.
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
Although I started reading Corinda, the biggest kick for me came after watching Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries vol. 1.

Afterwards the contents of the 13 steps made much more sense to me.

And although Banachek PSI Series is brilliant and should belong to your collection, get Mind Mysteries before (and if you are really short, get the vol.1 first).

Matt
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL