The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Using Makeup for your Schools Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I don't use stage make-up on my birthday parties, however, having some theater background, make-up under the lights keeps one from looking dead (white ghost look). (News anchors use it as well as TV talk hosts and guests.)

Do you use makeup for your school shows? How does it react to sweating? Any suggestions? Makes or brands?
Dennis Michael
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2004-09-23 07:41, DenDowhy wrote:
make-up under the lights keeps one from looking dead (white ghost look).

Maybe it's your old age Den. ;o)

But it could be a good idea to hide the shine on my boldy head.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I use make-up when ever doing stage work of any sort. It does take a little while to apply, but as Den says, it helps you from looking like a ghost to the audience. besides I also have that super receeding hairline so it helps me from blinding the audience.

I am not sure what exact brand I use as my wife is the one who usually handles the make up part of things.

I do not sweat much any ways, so I have never really had much problem with it coming off in the heat of the lights. I also put a bit of poweder on after I get the make up applied. This is what clowns do and it really does help to keep you dry longer and from the make up coming off.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Always apply powder to make up. It will keep it from coming off and getting onto things you don't want it on. I would only use makeup for working with lights. If your "stage" is a gym floor and your "lights" are the mecury vapor gym lights, I wouldn't worry about it. And always remember, less is more. Make up is one of my weaker points around the stage. So, if you have any specific questions please ask and I can consult my sources.
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I am not so sure on the less is more statement. Usually, pending the stage your working on, you really need do overdo the makeup for it to look and appear normal and natural to the audience under the lights. That is why Vegas performers or dancers always look hidious in makeup when you see or meet them up close.

Just an observation.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I do school shows mostly now and I would say in most cases there is not a lot of lights in the schools. It is important to look good. I go to a tanning bed from time to time to get color in my face.

I think the point is less is more is saying you don't have to over due your make up. I seen a lot of performers that use WAY to much makeup and it looks caked on.

I met David Copperfield after one of his shows and I could not see very little makeup on him. He had NO time to take it off after his show. He has a very dark or tan look about him that helps.

But again I am not sure that a school the students will say to one another "He needs some makeup".

Ken
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Yes, I used to grumble a lot about working in schools, as they are void of any decent lighting or atmosphere really. Even with my 8 spot bulb light boxes either side of the stage/work area still not much better. My wife used to constantly remind me they are places of education and not theatres. Have never used any form of make-up either in my musical or kids entertaining careers although do apply a very thin coat of sun cream occasionally (probably because the smell reminds me of holidays by the Med.) I too think a moderate tan is best. In England after a Summer like 2004 it probably is caused by rust. Probably the area which may need a spot of make-up the most is on receding foreheads. I do recede, but with the greatest of respect, not quite as much as the gents in the above avatars (with the exception of Ken, who has removed his head altogether).
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Kyle,
I suppose it depends on what type of makeup you are using. If you are using a creme based stage make up. You need to apply it very thinly or you will look much older then you really are on stage. That "cakey" look is probably (now I'm just theorizing here, because like I said, make up was not my strong point in school) caused by reappling powder to makeup that they have sweated through. Also if you use a cake makeup (water based) it will tend to look more "cakey" close up.

Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I sweat too much. I would be afraid the principal would think I was a cross dresser of sorts.
Guess I'm just too paranoid.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1085 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I don't use special lighting in schools, and therefore do not use makeup.

Ken, wow, you tan for the kids. That's pretty cool. I'd like to be there when you explain to the accountant why you want to deduct your tanning sessions.
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Yes I use makeup in all my shows. NO I was not born this way.LOL I don't know if it helps though, what do you think?
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Chuck . . . you're kidding . . . you look so NATURAL!! Next you'll tell me that isn't your real hair color!

Speaking as an actor for some 30 years now: The only real way to get it right is to have someone who knows what she is doing, sit and watch you under the lights you will be using. Colors, angles, intensity of lights all matter. And you must make up in a brightly lit mirror, duplicating the colors as closely as possible. Good luck accomplishing that in a school!

However, there are some general principles you can use. Get under some lights that are typical for what you'll be working under, and have somebody (again) with a good eye for these things help you get a basic makeup. Then you'll know about what you'll need.

Failing that: a base a little darker than your skin, a little eye shadow and liner or mascara, and some rouge and maybe lips. That will keep you from looking like Casper the Friendly Magician at least!
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
I heard that very sane thing at the last funeral I directed. I am also a funeral direcy=tor. OK w=every one gets amake up and a smile. Well thanks but my hair is falling so yes that is a wig. LOL thanks to the Yak that gave his hair so my clown may live don't tell PETA ok.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
There's a product out called "No-Sweat" that blocks the pores. It's for use under make-up. Lots of clowns, including Ronald McDonald, as well as the outdoor actors at Walt Disney World, use the stuff. I've tried it and it really does help prevent sweating of the face. Many clowns supply dealers carry it. I got mine from LaRock's.
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Please make sure you read and follow the directions with products like No Sweat. Since sweating is your body's way of cooling itself, shutting it off, may not be good.
Edd
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Edd, I'll assume you're not going to put the stuff over your entire body! Just used on the face, this shouldn't affect the body's natural cooling funtion too much.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Using Makeup for your Schools Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL