The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Learning a Memorized Deck (Memdeck) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Amccrawford wrote:
Quote:
... having used the brute method myself, you actually do subconsciously or consciously create associations.

To the extent that one is doing this, however, one is using classical mnemonic techniques, not simply brute force; consequently, some of the benefits of mnemonic association will apply.

This said, however, if one is not using a consistent mnemonic strategy for the entire stack, one will not reap the full benefits of same. The associations will be more arbitrary/random, and thus less amenable to systematic recall; in this sense, they are similar to the approach of rule-based systems, such as those by Joyal and Matt.

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
I learned 2 a day. Spent 10 minutes on each card.

I did a review every day as I brushed my teeth and twice before I nodded off (like counting sheep).

I had the Tamariz stack down cold after 26 days with not much work. (It was easier for me to find 10 minutes a day, than a block of 4 hours).

All of these techniques will work. You just have to pick one, FOCUS, and GET TO WORK.

Asper
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
I believe that any reasonably intelligent person who knows 6-7 people's phone numbers has the prowess required to memorize a deck. You can do marathon 4 hour sessions or you can break the task up into smaller chunks. For me, in 3-4 days I can get a stack into my head, and by the end of one month of drill, I can know the stack cold, and I'm ready to get to work on effects.

Learning a stack is SO much easier than learning how to do a moderately difficult sleight-of-hand move like a pass! But I think I already know why memorized deck work isn't being done by most magicians.

I have many magician friends who say that they want to do memorized deck work, but they believe that they can't memorize a deck, no matter what method they might try. I suspect that these folks are correct. Smile
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Renaldi
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
106 Posts

Profile of Renaldi
StackView mentioned above is both an excellent learning and refresher tool. It has a great test feature. Thanks Nick for this invaluable resource. It is a gem and must have taken a lot of work to put it together.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

Hi I always record new patter and stacks and listen and repeat them as I drive.

When I was learning to fly I always did landing checks as I was driving along.

Breaks
Undercarriage
Mixture
Fuel pump
Flaps
Altitude
Radio check

BUMFFAR

LOL

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
falcon
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of falcon
I had memorized the Nikola's deck using word association. Initially it took a lot of time. But when I learned about the Aronson stack it took only 45 minutes to memorize. The accuracy was excellent but it took a few day before the speed was proficient.
anthonyb
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of anthonyb
Has anyone adapted Stackview for Mac or Unix?

As said by several, the best way is what suits you. I am learning Aronson's by "Brute Force" from number one onward but am wondering if by suits is better? I am doing it the above way because my first use for the MD is a diary-type trick where I have to associate a card with a known number.

I do confirm that writing numbers on the back of cards is very helpful, providing a test for the learner..
Anthony Brahams
www.thecairnpress.com
munger
View Profile
Loyal user
austria
265 Posts

Profile of munger
Read loraynes "develop a supper power memory",
I memorized a deck in 2 days and worked with it the next week.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Have you tried Osterlind's Breakthrough Card system?
I think this is one of the best stacks.The card seem so random that nobody will suspect a thing.
Andre
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
I have written manuscripts on how to quickly learn both the Aronson stack (I learned it in an hour while driving) as well as Mnemonica.

I taught a 10-yr. old girl the Aronson stack in 90 minutes.

If interested, check out http://gwilliamsmagic.wix.com/gwproducts......eck/c2yw (or PM me with any questions you may have).

Geoff
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
383 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
Either that, or if you have an Android phone, you could do worse than download this free app: MemDeckPro

Excellent app for any memorized deck. Many settings, very intuitive and ads free.
Protect me from my friends, I'll deal with my enemies.
Mikey7938
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mikey7938
Does anyone know a good source for sealed standard cards (preferably Tally-Ho Circle Backs but I'll take what I can find) that come pre "stacked"? I know that the Méliès deck does but I'm looking for a standard looking deck. Please PM me if you have a source. Thank you!
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2016, Mikey7938 wrote:
Does anyone know a good source for sealed standard cards (preferably Tally-Ho Circle Backs but I'll take what I can find) that come pre "stacked"? I know that the Méliès deck does but I'm looking for a standard looking deck. Please PM me if you have a source. Thank you!

Mickey: I found this through google: http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?t=1633
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
Mikey7938
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mikey7938
Thanks Tom- much obliged!
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2016, Mikey7938 wrote:

If this is something you do often I would suggest investing in a Wonder Sealer (if you can find one) so you can seal your own decks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXJRo0xUWgI
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Shikanominarazu
It's also not terribly difficult to open up a deck and reseal it. It is, however, tedious.
Imirik
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Imirik
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2016, Francois Lagrange wrote:
Either that, or if you have an Android phone, you could do worse than download this free app: MemDeckPro

Excellent app for any memorized deck. Many settings, very intuitive and ads free.

Decent app but I found it even easier in the end to just use a regular flash card app instead. Then you can even mix the face to position and position to face cards together. I find it a lot easier to memorise while learning both directions together. The one I'm using is called Ankidroid.
goochelen
View Profile
New user
Hexagonia
76 Posts

Profile of goochelen
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2016, Imirik wrote:
Quote:

Decent app but I found it even easier in the end to just use a regular flash card app instead. Then you can even mix the face to position and position to face cards together. I find it a lot easier to memorise while learning both directions together. The one I'm using is called Ankidroid.

Did you create your own Mnemonica deck or is there one already available on the Akidroid website (I did not find one, hence my question) ?
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Best apps in my opinion.
Samuel Gherman : ultimate Mnemonica trainer, ultimate Aronson Trainer, ultimate stack trainer, and ultimate major system trainer.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
383 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2016, Imirik wrote:
Quote:

No disrespect Imirik, but I don't think you have even scratched the surface of what MemDeckPro can offer. You can mix face to position and position to face, even better you can practice with (fixed or random) intervals such as +1,+2 etc... i.e. what's the card x positions away (positive or negative) from the one displayed.

Furthermore you can use audio, instead of visual, clues if you're on the move. If you like to learn using mnemonics, you can set hints for your cards and be tested on them, etc. You can even group hard-to-recall cards together and train specifically on them. If you're training to recall the stack as fast as possible (as you would need in some effects such as Aronson's Histed Heisted), this app is difficult to beat.

As I said, many more settings. In the end, this app might not be for you, but you won't know until you give it a fair try. It comes with a thorough help file which is well worth reading. As you can tell I'm a fan, and I am not the only one as it has hundreds of downloads. It's allowed me to learn my stack cold in 2 weeks, and in French as it allows for nearly any language. Best of all it's free and ads free. If you need some extra stuff, you can contact the Italian developer who's very friendly.
Protect me from my friends, I'll deal with my enemies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Learning a Memorized Deck (Memdeck) (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL