The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Learning a Memorized Deck (Memdeck) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Stromberg
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Stromberg
I used Tamariz method as described, with one addition: architectural mneumonics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_of_mem......mnemonic

I basically took 13 spots in my apartment, and the four directions of each spot. Taking note of artwork, views, things or whatever. For example six of hearts is my laundry basket. That way when I was doing the rest of the method I had tangible place to add to the learning. A further boon with this method is that you add relations between groups, e.g. facing same direction, same room etc.

I got the entire stack down with this addition to the bunch of methods described by Tamariz after a couple of hours.

The architecture will be useful in doing any kind of memory work in the future as well, so time well worth spending.

/Stromberg
Imirik
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Imirik
Quote:
No disrespect Imirik, but I don't think you have even scratched the surface of what MemDeckPro can offer. You can mix face to position and position to face, even better you can practice with (fixed or random) intervals such as +1,+2 etc... i.e. what's the card x positions away (positive or negative) from the one displayed.

Furthermore you can use audio, instead of visual, clues if you're on the move. If you like to learn using mnemonics, you can set hints for your cards and be tested on them, etc. You can even group hard-to-recall cards together and train specifically on them. If you're training to recall the stack as fast as possible (as you would need in some effects such as Aronson's Histed Heisted), this app is difficult to beat.

As I said, many more settings. In the end, this app might not be for you, but you won't know until you give it a fair try. It comes with a thorough help file which is well worth reading. As you can tell I'm a fan, and I am not the only one as it has hundreds of downloads. It's allowed me to learn my stack cold in 2 weeks, and in French as it allows for nearly any language. Best of all it's free and ads free. If you need some extra stuff, you can contact the Italian developer who's very friendly.

None taken! I did use the +1 + 2 feature which I agree was very useful. Maybe I should take a deeper look at it again. One thing though which a flash card app like Ankidroid has is being able to mark if a card was difficult/Ok/Easy to remember and then it will on purposely show some cards more or less based on what you told it. I found this feature very useful for getting those hard to remember cards to stick better. I'll definitely take a another look at MemDeckPro though!

(And for the previous question, I just made my own set of cards on Ankidroid)
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
I took me only 3 days to memorize the stack.
I also used flash card app on my phone to help me refresh my memory, it actually kinda addicting once you get the stack down.
Forty Six & 2
View Profile
New user
Three cheers and some toasts for my
97 Posts

Profile of Forty Six & 2
May I recommend 'The Ultimate Mnemonica Trainer' app on Google Play. I originally learnt the stack using rote memory and repetition and had it down in a few weeks, but this app has cemented the stack in to my long term memory without even trying Smile
Seek and you will find
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Learning a Memorized Deck (Memdeck) (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL