The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Keller Levitation Poster Question...please help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
Hello, I'm interested in who was the artist was who created and painted the Keller Levitation poster where he is levitating the woman and she is about at knee lefel on her back and he has lightning bolts coming from his fingers. Sorry for the poor description, but I believe it was originally from around 1864 or 1894??? It is for an art piece and I need to give credit to the original artist, all and any help is appreciated! Thanks!

SperriS
DANSPERRY.COM
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7408 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe it was a staff artist from the Strobridge Lithographic company in Cincinnatti, Ohio.

I know Strobridge is out of business but there was a touring exhibit of many of their works several years ago. They did circus and a lot of other venues.

As I understand the stone lithography process, various artists had various tasks in making the the stones (seperations by today's language). One guy might do the background, another the people, and another the lettering. So it was a composite image.

I don't know if it is still up or not but Charles Greene had some good information on his website on the posters.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
A fellow poster collector who is quite in the know said much of the same thing. Basically, he said, unless you get lucky, you'll never know who worked on a particular poster. That's the way the grease smears ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Keller Levitation Poster Question...please help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL