The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Coin holder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
I´m looking for a coin holder for slightly bent coins - e.g. a penny, a nickle and a dime (3 to 4 coins of each). I experimented for a while, but the outcomes are inadequate for repeated performances.

I hope I made myself understood - and there is somebody in here to help me...

pm me if something is not clear
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
What type of holder? A dropper or something in which to carry them when not in use?
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
A dropper does not quite work, because the coins have not all the same shape.

in my routine, I have the spectator remove a coin (a penny, a nickle or a dime) from their pocket and hold it in his/her fist. I tell them what coin it is and bend the coin in their hand after.

therefore I need some prepared coins ready to use...
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
Put them in your pockets (different coins in different pocket) Smile

God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
Thought of that already.
But: I don´t want to have three pockets blocked for just one effect. another problem: how do you keep your little friends from talking to each other?

sure, it would be the best solution if you perform this effect just once (and maybe I should, because its a good effect, and only some people deserve to see it).

thanks king of pop, may god bless you too!
(to be honest, I don´t love you from the bottom of my heart... what do you expect, I just met you once?)

...i´m still looking for the perfect solution, and there IS a perfect solution. believe me.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Roth uses a Bull Dog clip for many of his routines.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
jrbobik
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
104 Posts

Profile of jrbobik
Ok going to sound wierd! What about a pick holder for guitar picks. They are plastic but you might be able to attach it to a pocket or something. They depress in but have tension from a spring inside.
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted"
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
I would think that you could Velcro the pick holder into your jacket some place that it would be very easy to steel the coins out as needed. It is a good idea for many purposes. Another idea on the same line may be to use one of those plastic term paper covers with the hard plastic spine that slips off and on in the same manner if you cut it in 1/4s you could have one to hold three or for of each coin it would be easy to put these in your jacket pockets and still know which coin is which and they would not talk.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
I´ll give it a try!
thank you very much for your input
jcanuck
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of jcanuck
Did you think of using a magnet(s)? you could sew it to the inside of your pants or your jacket and then just click the appropriate coins onto the magnets. I would use rare earth magnets since they come in different sizes and are very strong. See "LEE VALLEY" hardware distributors for them.

Cheers

LOTHAR
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
He lothar!

I just used penny/nickle/dime as an example, because I don´t know how familiar the people here with the coins of my country are. and I think that most magician are very well conditioned (trough thousands of books and videos from america) to american coins. my mistake.

our coins are not magnetic.

thanks
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
You can use a bulldog clip (as already suggested) but you need to stick felt to the inside of it to prevent it talking.
If you want to put 3 coins in the same clip you need a piece of felt between each coin. These little felt inserts are stitched together at the top and are also joined onto the bulldog clip.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
It makes sense. thank you.

I thought about it for a while.
main problem: where would you put such a clip?
jacket may not be good (i don´t want my whole jacket to move while I pull out a coin...)
trouserpockets may be too small.
you could attach it to your belt. but what do you do when you work without your jacket...
I´ll keep thinking.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
If you work without a jacket and don't carry a case, all that is left is your pockets. Put a few in each pocket and move on. If you have a case, stick the clip to the top of the case and when you put something away or get something else, steal the appropriate coin.

Sew elastic to your belt and stuff coins under that. Cover with vest, jacket or long shirt.

Kirk G
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
The version with the elastic in the belt sounds good. because it works even when you are sitting.
whereas the pocket version is difficult if your sitting - especially if there´s no table ("what the *** is this guy doing in his pockets?")

thanks kirk
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
I'm assuming these are separate and youre not trying to pull a bunch of various shaped coins out of the same device at the same time.

In one of Eugene Burger's books he shows how to make a coin clip using a clip you get at the stationary store, bend it and wrap it with electrical tape (no noise). It would hold odd shaped coins. Just come up with a way to sew it into a vest or jacket.
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
Thanks alchimest!
in which book is it?
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I do a bent coin routine when doing restaurant walkaround...they get free choice of the type coin I borrow...penny, nickel or dime. I keep a nickel and dime in my left pocket (it's very easy to tell those apart) and a shiny penny and a dull penny in my right pocket. Now I can borrow any of the 3 coins and do the bending in their hands effect. Drum up the fact that you're borrowing a FREE choice of coin, and it makes it more astounding.

Steve Thomas
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Steve Thomas, that's my dad's name! Smile Anyway, I have something that I use to carry 4-5 half dollars. I use one of those metal clips that come on those plastic hangers. They stay together nicely in those. It also works as a jim dandy vanisher if you are seated at a table.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Coin holder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL