The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Comedy Barriers. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
raymond
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of raymond
I must say that I have observed that Clive is very good at dishing it out but not very good at taking it in return.

I dare say that if a "humorous" response were made to him in reply he would be the first to scream blue murder.

I think a little humility might be in order.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Back to the topic at hand:

My wife can't stand any of the British commedy material, while I find it quite amusing.
Many years ago as a teenager, we used to memorize Monty Python Flying Circus skits, but I know people who considered them to be nothing short of crude.

When it comes to movies and TV shows, I think that Jim had it right earlier. Action is much more universal than is commedy.

To go back off topic: I have noticed that it doesn't take much to put someone on the defensive on a board like this one. Then we start exporting our own ACTION. I must admit that I find it entertaining for a post or two, then wish that we would go back to exporting COMMEDY.
Magic is fun!!!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I must say I do wish someone would throw in some good humourous responses, instead of throwing their toys out of their pram every 5 minutes. After 23 years in the navy I love a good bit of banter it livens up what can be pretty boring discussions.

Unfortunately if you do engage in a little too much banter, those with sense of humour deficiencies complain and get the topic locked and once again we get our wrists slapped. This sometimes tends to limit the fun value, unless we carry on in Private.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Now, as an entertainer of 25 years and ten months, I would wish to come down off the mountain, my white beard trailing alongside my satin cloak, and proclaim:
There are only two types of humour involved in entertaining children; 1) the type that works for you in your locality and creates genuine laughter and repeat engagements; 2) the type that shoots over the children's heads and doesn't work. Whether it be slapstick from a clown, or routined comedy from a magician.

There are only two types of entertainers: good/average; and poor/awful. I believe it does not matter whether one is a full-time professional or a part-time professional. I know of part-time professionals who "live" for the business, and here we are, full time pros. who "switch off" as soon as we leave a party. My thread on "what do you do for a living" does not suggest any inferiority of part-time performers compared to full-time, it merely highlights the reality of being a full time performer.

Regarding the Forum. I don't like or agree with everything I read here. There have been two members over the years who may have tried to 'have a go' at me. But what does it matter? I know what we have done, what we have got and what we can do. I think we just need to come here to listen to the views of others with an open mind. We all apparently have an aptitude towards working with children don't we? So none of us can be all that bad!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I just whatched Jack Dee,s Happy Hour made me think what are international friends would think of his humor?
Phillip
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I think many of our friends would see a visually depressing individual making equally depressing and unfunny dialogue Phillip.

But this is what makes us so different, and so interesting. As a very young man I was always required to sit late on a Sunday night with an older cousin and watch "Rowan and Martin's Laugh In" from the USA. To this day I cannot figure out just what I was looking at!

Tony.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I quite like Jack Dee. although not as funny as the guests on his live at the apollo. Do you like him Philip?
Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Comedy Barriers. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL