The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help on Banachek (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Murfmind
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Murfmind
On the new Banachek dvds he does a design duplication effect using a specially constructed clip board notebook. Does anyone know where to find these? I've checked our office supply stores and they don't have them. Murf
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
446 Posts

Profile of Rick
Maybe you should pm Mr. Banachek.. He is on the Café from time to time...
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I guess they should be possible to find everywhere.
I just picked them up at my local Staples in Oslo

Sven
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1738 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I found them in a dollar store.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1170 Posts

Profile of Banachek
One does not need a clipboard, one can indeed use just a spiral notebook, Get two and remove the cover, if you have the DVD you know what to do.
Or try http://www.business-supply.com/dept/2511......der.html

or http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det......2Z381HKD

or
http://www.business-supply.com/dept/1601871/pad-holders.html

or
office depot at http://www.officedepot.com/txtSearchDD.d......padfolio
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Murfmind
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Murfmind
Thanx, everyone. Most helpful. Murf
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I have made a few of them, just in case. I found the stuff I needed at W H Smith in the UK, bought two and pasted them to create the gimmick. It really is excellent!

Kind thoughts,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Here here Kennedy...

That is exactly the same shop I went to and I made a few of them 'just in case'.. The clipboard is one of those things that I instantly fell in love with as it has so many applications waiting to be created. The use of it is so natural, looks professional and is cheap and easy to put together.

That application alone made Banacheks DVDs worth the price of admission, but I also got Stigmata which I think many will just look over but is a killer, Ring Of Truth is also an anytime anywhere performance piece..

M.S.
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
MIC
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MIC
Ring of truth didn't fool me at all :S Smile
nor my little sister... who has no idea of how things work... :/

I havent even gone through the explanation of it...

am I the only one?
am I missing something?
have you had success with it?(i cant imagine how..?:(?)

MIC

PS. I don't want to seem arrogant... On the contrary I Love Banacheks material... and feel sad that I cant see the potential of the particular effect... (well I see the potential .. I cant see how it can fool)...
chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
142 Posts

Profile of chanor
Ring of Truth, based on an old principle, has had different resurrections, including Menny Lindenfeld's "Chaos." Its success is based upon impeccable technique. Banachek claims that he would not put anything on DVD that has not worked for him. But as Lincoln said, you can't fool all the people all of the time. Still, I am constantly suprised when I try something that I can't imagine will fool anyone and it DOES!
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-09-27 07:36, MIC wrote:
Ring of truth didn't fool me at all :S Smile
nor my little sister... who has no idea of how things work... :/

I havent even gone through the explanation of it...

am I the only one?
am I missing something?
have you had success with it?(i cant imagine how..?:(?)

MIC

PS. I don't want to seem arrogant... On the contrary I Love Banacheks material... and feel sad that I cant see the potential of the particular effect... (well I see the potential .. I cant see how it can fool)...

As with vitually every simple effect that is out there, the fooling is in the handling and the presentation of the performer.

As we tend to know a lot of methods, it can be easy to deconstruct and then say how is that going to fool anyone. Until you have added all the subtleties of your own handling you will not be aware of it's full potential.
oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
The principle of "Ring of truth", can really fool audiences.

Sometimes, some spectators will guess how this could be achieved, but if they start thinking about it a bit further, they'll often get stuck at one point in the process and will get away from this possible method.
That's why the presentation is really important to lead them away from the real process.
Remember that the spectators can't watch twice an effect and have nothing to write on every single thing that happened during the routine. If they miss just one little thing, they won't be able to find how it's done.
Check out Barrie Richardson subtlety from "Theater of the mind", it really helps in that way.

And the most important ,is that this routine involves the audience in a nice way, it's a really entertaining piece, it's not made to be the killer effect of the year; that's why I love this one.
MIC
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MIC
The fact that it didn't fool me wasnt very worrying.. the fact it didn't fool my sister was.

I thought about it (and maybe I found the solution).. we have a very famous riddle (everybody must have heard it at some point) in the country I am coming from:

"You are a prisoner ... you escape and there are two (2) exits you can escape from... if you go one way you will surely die if you go the other way you will live... On each exit there is a guard... The one tells ALWAYS the truth the other ALWAYS lies. You don't know who is who... (ok here we go)
You can only go up to one of them and ask him only one question... and figure out which way you should go... Only one question to only one of them.... and you should be able to escape!"

I guess if people have at one point in their life pondered about that riddle they would be very hardly fooled by ring of truth... (thats my theory at least)

ta!
MIC

Quote:
On 2004-09-27 09:00, oxygen wrote:
Sometimes, some spectators will guess how this could be achieved, but if they start thinking about it a bit further, they'll often get stuck at one point in the process and will get away from this possible method.

Oxygen... I don't like that at all.. Smile
MIC
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Well I can only speak for myself and those I know who have used it. It may well be the case of the riddle that your younger sister knows that makes the effect easy to her and you.

A point to be made is this:
If you asked my sister to draw a simple image and then duplicated it she would be able to tell you 15 methods of how you did it.. why? Because the poor girl has endured duplication after duplication from me. That certainly wouldn't put me off using a duplication, in fact I LOVE duplications.

I have seen some very prominent performers do amazing effects only to over hear someone say "Well he just saw it!" and they are 100% correct in most cases, but that doesn't put me off as the majority of my audiences want to see an entertaining show and to be honest I'd rather entertain the rest of the audience and try to work with or around the sceptic as no matter what you do that sceptic will always say those four words some hate to hear "It's just a trick!"

Also Ring Of Truth will occassionally evoke a puzzle factor with certain individuals but the same would apply with most effects to those who like to solve mysteries.

I have overheard people listing off possible methods to some of my work. The ironic thing is a 7 year old girl was absolutely right on one occassion and the adults told her not to be silly..

I guess ones mans food is another mans poison..

M.S.
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1170 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Presentation is pretty much everything when it comes to ring of truth. Notice I point out that asking a question tells you nothing and give examples. Notice the build up of body language. This is something that also should be taken in context. What I mean by that is I have pretty much convinced my audience (or will) that I can indeed read non verbal clues. If one points out things the spectator are doing, the emphasize is no longer on the puzzle, but becomes one of them looking to try to see the same non-verbal ques you are looking for. This becomes the game so to speak.

Again, point out the impossibility of the real method itself to cancel it out as an explanation. The logic is one that is hard for people who even know to wrap their minds around. I know this because of the fact it is so hard to convince people of the trick method itself when trying to explain it.

Main thing, have fun with it. I recommend looking up other versions as well so you can alternate if you feel so inclined the questions and outcome.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
As far as other people detecting methods such as ring of truth, I have found that I have gotten better and better in all area's, misdirection, slight of mouth etc as time has gone on I have also noticed that those close to me who have followed my progression are also the best at detecting any sort of methods, if I get a method past them I know I'm on to a winner that no one could almost ever figure out.
Though those close to me ae better at detection then most I know that the average person will not come up to thir skill level for method detection, so just because they see somthing doesn't mean most people will, this has been proven to me time and time again.
That's just my take on the question.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
MIC
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MIC
Maybe so ! Smile

Thanks Everybody... I ll think about it a bit more.. and see what I can come up with...

MIC
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Ring of truth, for me is presentation, but which mentalit efefct isn't. I perform it as part of a whole area of "lie detection" I use it where I use Max Macen's Kurotsuke (sp?) as well as a few other bits 'n' pieces. What I like about it most is that you can apply the methodology to any object at all, plus it has a logical explanation and makes the rest of your efefcts more credible due to its direct link with reality (lie detection)

As always in my opinion (for what its worth) if the performer invests in the effect, and believes himself that he really is readind subcounscious signals then that is what the audience see.

When I perform it, I talk to the audience "did you see when she twitched her mouth just then, of course that means..." and they agree and nod as if they know what I'm talking about.

Kind thoughts,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help on Banachek (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL