We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Entire tarot deck stack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
Hello all,

Can anyone point me to any method or to a reference for stacking an entire tarot deck?

Poker card stacks don't translate well to Tarot cards due to the four court cards (Pages, Knights, Queens, Kings) instead of the 3 with poker cards (Jacks, Queens, Kings) plus the added complication of the 22 major arcana.

However, I'm sure I'm not the first person to have considered stacking an entire tarot deck!

Any insights?
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
There was another thread on this somewhere. Where there's a will there's a way! My daughter figured out a way to stack the Major Arcana. I can give you her email if you'd like?

Proud Father
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
Maybe Osterlind's BCS would work with the Major Arcana being carefully placed.
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
For the previous thread on stacking a tarot deck, please look here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14

Dave
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
Quote:
On 2004-09-25 23:44, ptbeast wrote:
For the previous thread on stacking a tarot deck, please look here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14

Dave

Dave, that post only tells you how to stack the 22 major arcana cards, not the entire deck .
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Get rid of those extra cards and everything will be fine..LOL
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Why must the entire deck be stacked?

Just asking!

Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
You can stack the Minor Arcana easily if you remove the pages (as is mentioned in Mind, Myth, and Magick). If you have a way to associate each of the suits with a number, you can use Richard Osterlind's BCS on this reduced Minor Arcana. For that matter, you could use any 52 card stack on the Minor Arcana with the pages removed.

You can't just stack the full 56 card Minor Arcana using Si Stebbins. The values will work out but the suits won't. (For those who care, that's because 3 (the step factor in Stebbins) and 14 (the number of cards in a suit of the Minor Arcana) are relatively prime (no common divisors), but 4 (the number of suits) and 14 are NOT relatively prime.)

You can stack the full 56 card Minor Arcana with a modified Si Stebbins that requires remembering one exception (applied four times). Using 3 as your step factor, aces follow knights. Instead of going to the next suit in your cycle, REPEAT the suit for the ace. This will give you a completely cyclical stack with the one exception repeated for each ace. I cycle the suits as Wands, Swords, Pentacles, and Cups, and remember "WASP-C," but of course the cycle is arbitrary. Remember with the 14 card suit, pages are 11, knights are 12, queens are 13, and kings are 14. So my stack of the Minor Arcana is:

AW 4S 7P 10C QW 2S 5P 8C PW KS 3P 6C 9W NS AS 4P 7C 10W QS 2P 5C 8W PS KP 3C 6W 9S NP AP 4C 7W 10S QP 2C 5W 8S PP KC 3W 6S 9P NC AC 4W 7S 10P QC 2W 5S 8P PC KW 3S 6P 9C NW

Combining the Major Arcana and Minor Arcana will be problematic, since the Major Arcana consists of 22 cards. It can be done, but there will be many more exceptions to remember.

:pepper:
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
Rgranville is on to a good thing. I would just eliminate the pages completely and use either the Si Stebbins or Eight Kings stack.

Cups = Hearts
Pentacles = Diamonds
Wands = Clubs
Swords = Spades
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Entire tarot deck stack (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL