The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Room Service - Performed by D.C. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AngelMerlin
View Profile
New user
Madrid, Spain
59 Posts

Profile of AngelMerlin
Just a little help....

As I am just about to buy it, could anyone tell me if you can just carry around the key with its tag, or do you have to carry "extra" things? I mean, can I use this tag as my normal key ring? Another thing, can you perform it close-up, or not?

Thanks a lot. Smile
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
This is NOT the exact same thing as Copperfield does. This is much the same as Koran's "original" Medallion effect and as such is NOT for beginners and is NOT what you saw Copperfield do. If you want something similar, with an "engraved" look, you need to look at a modified item like the Borodin Locket.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
A friend of mine performs this in his show. It is not really a close up piece. But I can attest to its power. I would highly reccomend it to anyone.

Chad
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Quote:
On 2002-08-20 12:18, Thoughtreader wrote:
This is NOT the exact same thing as Copperfield does. This is much the same as Koran's "original" Medallion effect and as such is NOT for beginners and is NOT what you saw Copperfield do.

My understanding is that that's partially true, but the supplied instructions include David's method for it, which only differs from the standard method in the one detail that allowed him to show the key on camera. That said, I don't like the standard method, for the same reason that he couldn't show it on camera, and you can only do the DC method with an assistant.

Also, I should point out that very few hotels nowadays use that kind of key on a keyring; instead they all use magnetic key cards or, less frequently now, those plastic punch cards (Ving cards, I think they're called).

I haven't seen the locket Paul mentioned myself, but I've heard equally good things about it from some others in the know, too. It's pricy, but if you're into that kind of effect, you may want to check it out. It seems quite cool, and I may eventually add it to my shopping list once I have some more cash in the spending account :o)
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
AngelMerlin
View Profile
New user
Madrid, Spain
59 Posts

Profile of AngelMerlin
Thanks to all of you.

By what I can see, and for what I hear from you, it is nothing near to be "examinable", not even at close sight.

I´ll have a look at these other methods that Paul suggested.

Thanks Again. Smile
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Check out "Key-Know" in Mind, Myth, and Magic. It's not a close-up effect, but I still find it more logical than Room Service.

--Christopher Carter
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Mikame Craft puts out an expensive ($295) version of Room Service that allows you to show the audience the number on the key.

However, it's not for close-up work, because the effect includes an attache case and a pad for writing the number. These items are integral to the method.

Steve Shaw (Banachek), I believe, has a nice version of Room Service in which the audience-generated room number appears "printed" on the little paper sleeve or folder that holds a hotel's magnetic key card.

I've thought about combining Andy Leviss's "It's a Match" -- which has a spectator choose a matchbook from among a pile of them, and the hotel matches the key card -- with this Banachek version of Room Service. That would give you two "hits" of increasing bafflement.

Jerry
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
As a matter of fact, Jerry, after Banachek shared that idea with me, I started doing that same combination (although I've lately been playing with a slightly different method for the room number). It works quite nicely :o)

One piece of advice is to make sure that you reveal the hotel first, then the room number, that way you're moving from a 1 in 20 match to a 1 in 999 match (I've made the mistake of doing it the other way around, oops!)

I've also been working on a killer third phase at the suggestion of Alain Nu, and if I can get it worked out smoothly, it'll give it that extra punch that just turns it into a miracle.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
It's interesting, Andy, to imagine a third phase for It's A Match and Room Service.

How about a letter from the hotel management mentioning that you had left some item in your room?

With Confabulation (or Ron Wilson's Confabulous, more precisely), the audience could name any outlandish item and yet it would appear in the hotel manager's letter to you.

Just a thought (as they say in mental biz).

Maybe you'd like to suggest an idea for a third phase, too?

Cheers,
Jerry
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Ooh..that's in intriguing idea, Jerry, I like it!

As for my third phase, I have a specific rather hard hitting idea in mind, but for the moment I'd prefer to not post it--between having released the match effect, and Banachek's routine and the suggestion to combine the two having been published here at the Cafe and elsewhere, I want to keep the third phase as something exclusive for my show :o) Suffice to say that it is likely to result in jaws hitting the ground and, if the method I am toying with works out, it'll be quite simple and incredibly bold.

--Andy

P.S.-I was bored and doing some Google searches today--are you the same Jerry Dunn who wrote the (non-magic related) book Idiom Savant? If so, it looks very cool, do you have any copies available for purchase direct before I order one elsewhere (I always like supporting the authors/creators :o)
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Quote:
On 2002-08-23 22:45, Andy Leviss wrote:
...are you the same Jerry Dunn who wrote the (non-magic related) book Idiom Savant? If so, it looks very cool, do you have any copies available for purchase direct before I order one elsewhere (I always like supporting the authors/creators :o)

Guilty as charged. I don't really sell copies myself, although I really appreciate your instinct to support authors. In this case, Henry Holt & Co. (NY publisher) pays me royalties on sales, no matter where.

I hope you enjoy the book, which for those unfortunate millions who haven't seen it is a collection of the often hilarious lingo used by more than 100 American subcultures, from Harley bikers to birdwatchers. The groups include magicians, con men, and other related (?) subcultures.

If you want me to autograph your copy, PM me and I'll send you my mailing address. Meanwhile, all the best to a discerning reader.

Jerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Room Service - Performed by D.C. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL