The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1177 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I would like to include a vanish of my assistant in my next show. I have considered a tip over trunk but I find them too bulky. I have also considered a Dakolta Chair but my assistant, who is also my daughter, is still growing and I would hate to have to rebuild this illusion every year.

Also I don't have a backdrop curtain, rather I use what is at the venue, so B. Art is out.

Anyone care to share some thoughts or suggestions?

Mike
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Appearances are a lot easier to pull off under the conditions you outlined. The best would be a "sneak off" type illusion. If you can come up with a "sucker" way to do this, all the better. In other words, make them think she is hiding under a table or such, only to reveal that she's not there well after she's already snuck away.

I would stay away from box-props, for two reasons 1) as you indicated, rebuilding is an issue, and 2) with no curtains or backstage, how is she gonna get out of the prop after the vanish? Too direct a line to the method.

You're best bet is to make a backdrop. This will come in handy and improve your show, and can be made cheaply from PVC pipe and close-out fabrics.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hey Mike,

I know your show is pretty compact i.e. fits in your car, so you probably don't want some big bulky illusion. Why not, as Starrpower suggests, use a sneak off type vanish. Instead of sneaking off stage she could sneak into a roll on type table. This way you could do it center stage and it could easily be made to fold flat for transport. PM me if you need help.

John

P.S. Failing this, you could contact Blair and see it maybe one of his 60+ illusions would fit the bill. Uh...maybe not!!!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
The trouble with the table is, what then? It's the *only* place she could possibly be, so people are gonna key in on it right away. Then what? How's she gonna get out of it?
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1348 Posts

Profile of reedrc
I'm going to agree with StarPower. I call this "sleight of person".
without spending a BUNCH on high priced self contained props. Using effective yet simple means of performance, shadowplay misdirection and so-on you can VERY VERY effectively pull off a major effect. I had an illusion builder build this prop. Knew all of its secrets. Once he saw this thing on stage. All of the performance and Sleight of person, shadowplay and so-on included he came up to me after the show and said: "How the hell was that done?"

I'd say that was the most rewarding moment. The point being. evean know pepple use technology and lavish props self contained with workings. One can use simple things to advance magic by a thousand times. good luck Let us know what happens!

best,

Ryan
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
In Paul Osborne's Illusion's System Book 3 there is a vanish illusion called "The Sacrifice" by Masklyn ye Mage.It could probably fit the bill for what you are looking for. If you do go this route you will probably want to completely re-theme it, Masklyn ye Mage's style is not for everyone...and maybe that's the way it should be.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Jeff Hayden
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hayden
Those are all good ideas. For about the cost of a dakolta chair, you could get a two step deceptive base. It doesn't take up a huge amount of room and provides for a vanish under the conditions you specified. If you need a source for the steps PM me and I can send you to the guy that built mine - very high quality.

-JH
Did you see that?
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1177 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Some interesting thoughts and ideas. Keep them coming, things are starting to become clearer for me.

Mike
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Probably best to go with the sucker idea!

John
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Firstly, I have to agree with Ryan in that you can do some outstanding things using the "Slight of Person" method. I've got two or three key peaces in my stage programs that use this kind of technology and it has yet to not fool the educated within the audience (My Spirit Cabinet driving many a designer, crazy.)

The first "Vanishing Lady" I ever did (keep in mind, I was all of 7) was in a living room using a bed sheet. I covered my mother and in an instant, she was gone!

How?

I used a mop with a coat-hanger attached so as to create the fake and simply pushed it over, stomped on the sheet and voila! Everyone was stunned... especially when she rang the doorbell to get back into the house.

Another wonderful and easy method is akin to Lance Burton's "Girl in Cape" vanish. It's portable, easy to make, takes a beating, and astounds those that see it done. All you need to do is figure out when, where, and how to time the switch.

PM me should you have any questions.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Osiris,

I'm sorry to disagree, but, I wouldn't exactly call Lance Burton's cape vanish easy, however, it may be wonderful. While the cape itself may be "easy" to make, there is a whole lot of "renovations" needed on and under the stage, plus one or two stage hands to pull it off! Not exactly your Sunday afternoon illusion.

John
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Mark Wilson's first video in his series on Illusions has a train station built on a sort of card table arrangement. With one male assistant this could be a real inexpensive answer for a vanish.

You could do it alone but there would be some "dead air" during the illusion that just would not look good.

Frank
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Vanish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL