The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay at The Café Royal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Well, after getting back oop Norf at 5am this morning after seeing the performances last night I thought I would make some comments.

First of all it was a very enjoyable evening, so congratulations to James Cheung for organising it. I took a few friends with me and they thoroughly enjoyed it, especially some of the close up mentalism that James performed in his corner Smile

Unfortunately I didn't get an opportunity to see much of the other James do his stuff or see any of Daniel perform so it would be nice if someone who saw them could add some comments.

The highlight of the evening was, of course, the sword swallowing antics of the mad Australian, but this was closely followed by Luke's Smile

I must say that Luke's performance was brilliant, there have been threads on here about his performance in the past and I will just say that this performance was a million miles away from what you see on his DVD. Clearly his stint at the Edinburgh Festival has polished his act completely.

Luke reminds me of an East End Barrow boy pitching his wares, and I mean this in a good way. His handling of the audience and his timing is great, totally believeable despite his age. In fact the non-magic members of my party had him as much older.

Starting out with the tossed out deck I felt for him as he called out the cards and was left with one person standing. The reason I felt for him was that I was sat behind the girl left standing and had seen the card she looked at and it was one that Luke had called out. I guess alcohol and mentalism has it's problems! Luke recovered this extremely well and very professionally.

I won't go into all the effects as I just want to give an overall congratulations to all the guys involved. It is great to see some major development in Luke and this guy is going to be astounding the more years he adds on. A world class performance!

Anyway enough of that, and if anyone saw Luke handing me money after the show it was not to do with this post in any way. Smile
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Bravo Luke.
You are obvuously a force to be reckoned with in the future.
One day I will write a book
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
That's great to hear, I think we can expect luke to just get better and better as time goes on.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-09-27 21:48, The Hiphopopotamus wrote:
I thought it was a shame that Luke decided to bring mentalism into the gutter by associating with tattooed riff raff. The dark side may beckon him over to cross the line and we wouldn’t want to loose him to them.

Haha! If that is a tongue in cheek remark then it is very funny. If it is a serious remark then you need to step up from out of the dark ages my man Smile

I think Luke did an outstanding job of helping to bring mentalism out of the rut that it is so often in.
mishmash
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of mishmash
I hope this is OK to put here.

For those who are interested in Luke, he is giving a lecture for International Magic, this Saturday afternoon in London.

It starts at 4:30 and he says it will contain two thirds new material. He says it will also more than likely be his last lecture. I;m not sure if that means for a while, or forever.

Tickets are £10 and can be purchased from International Magic.

I'm going, and hope to see one or two of you there.
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
I thought Lukes performance was ok - not great. It was certainly very polished which you would expect from a long run in Edinburgh.

My only negatives would be that he talked TOO much about what he does, rather than perform the effects. I know most amateurs, mainly magicians, fall foul to not having enough, if any, presentation, but I felt Luke went too far in the presentation direction, leaving little chance for the effects to shine through - it was almost a distraction from the effects themselves.

Secondly, I felt that several effects had a loss of clarity. The rubiks cube magic square effect was simply confusing and made no sense at all, and it didn't really help he got it wrong ! Smile The suggestion effects whilst good, did not go down as well due to the lack of suggestibility of the subjects. Surely an audience hypnotic routine, like hands stuck, would work here to identify the suggestible members?

I also found the twisted plam to be a weak finish.

It may sound from the above that I hated it, no, on the contrary, Luke is a very talented young man, with good acting skills and showmanship. I did admire the two scenarios where he had to think on his feet to get out of an almost hopeless situation, where a lot of other performers would clam up. I just think with some more reliable effects and a toned down patter, he would be up there with Derren - but he's not yet.
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-09-28 11:04, Mesaboogie wrote:
My only negatives would be that he talked TOO much about what he does, rather than perform the effects. I know most amateurs, mainly magicians, fall foul to not having enough, if any, presentation, but I felt Luke went too far in the presentation direction, leaving little chance for the effects to shine through - it was almost a distraction from the effects themselves.

Ahh, but you are looking at this from a performers viewpoint not a spectator. You want to see more effects because that is what pushes your buttons. It is easy to say 'ok I know that one lets move on'.

I totally disagree on this point as I think the patter was the interesting part and it held my attention far more than the effects themselves.

Quote:
Secondly, I felt that several effects had a loss of clarity. The rubiks cube magic square effect was simply confusing and made no sense at all, and it didn't really help he got it wrong !

I agree that the addition of the magic square, whilst entertaining added little value to the effect. I don't think it matters that he got it wrong, personally I would have spent the rest of the night looking for any opportunity to utilise the mistake Smile

Quote:
I also found the twisted plam to be a weak finish.

I will join with you slightly here, theatrically I would have liked to see the twisted palm in the middle and maybe the chair test at the end? Who knows, it could be that it finishes stronger during other performances.

Quote:
I just think with some more reliable effects and a toned down patter, he would be up there with Derren - but he's not yet.

I will stick by Luke on the patter. It added an enthusiasm to the performance that draws the spectator in and holds their attention. Granted it is not going to be to everyone's liking but not all mentalists should come across as 'terribly mysterious' Smile

Was great to meet you by the way mesaboogie.
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
Hmmm, Salsa, I disagree with your comment stating that I was coming from a performers point of view - I actually think that YOU were.

Basically, I think that, at times, Luke was lecturing more than performing, talking endlessly about how he does what he does, rather than performing and entertaining with his effects. The audience want to SEE bizarre stuff happening, not be told constantly that he can do it. Derren, in his show, states at the start how he does what he does then lets the effects show it off. Osterlind doesn't even say how he does it, he uses the effects to give the audience something to think about.

I just felt that Luke could have probably cut down on the 'how I do it' speak and do more effects thus entertaining and wowing the crowd. It's just a balance thing.

I wanted to be entertained and was, to a point...I always watch a performer from a layman viewpoint, as much as I can, anyway. I would be interested to hear a laymans view on the show, but that's unlikely on this forum.

Again, let me stress, I think Luke is a great performer whose career I look forward to following in the years to come.
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-09-28 13:49, Mesaboogie wrote:

Hmmm, Salsa, I disagree with your comment stating that I was coming from a performers point of view - I actually think that YOU were.

Well I am not sure about that. As always I could be wrong so it would be nice to hear some other thoughts on this from different people.

Quote:
I wanted to be entertained and was, to a point...I always watch a performer from a layman viewpoint, as much as I can, anyway. I would be interested to hear a laymans view on the show, but that's unlikely on this forum.

Well the strange thing is that I took three layman along with me and as we ate afterwards they said they thought Luke's part of the evening was extremely professional and highly entertaining.

I asked them for input on the evening and to be honest about it so I would appreciate what they were seeing.

Not one of them raised the points that you did.

We are, of course, individuals so I will happily accept that your points are valid for although you are a performer too you are still an audience member.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2588 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Hey just interested how much of a punter crowd the guys managed to pull in?

Glad it was a success,

Bev
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
Hey Bev!
It was more or less sold out, 84 guests.

//Daniel
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2588 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
That's good news! Congrats.
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
The Guys did a great job, as with anything new it is obviously going to have a few teething problems, I didn't get to see you Daniel as your corner was very busy (which is a good thing as you obviously had them totally engrossed.) It was overall a fun night and good fun.

I liked the rubiks cube effect especially the solving of it in a paper bag, I agree that it may have been a little confusing to some with the math section but Luke is always thinking up new twists (excuse the pun) One thing I definately have to mention is Lukes back up solutions which he used once or twice, this shows experience as he was ready for tricky situations like the girl who actually looked at the face card of the tossed out deck as opposed to one inside.

James was as ever very charming and as always very nicely suited and booted. The Space Cowboy was not only a seasoned performer who you could tell has worked many times but was also very friendly.

James Lavier was very smooth with his close up and had a good response from those around his table.

M.S.
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay at The Café Royal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL