The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How would you complete this sentence? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Great stuff Star. By listening to your prospect first, you can really learn to key in on their wants, wishes and the problems they are trying to address by contacting you in the first place. Key in on these issues and you can really make a difference.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2004-09-27 21:56, Andy Walker wrote:
How would you complete this sentence?

I am one of the more expensive children's entertainers, but...

Apologies can be even more costly.

Cheap leaves a first impression too.

I have no arguement with those who know what their work is worth.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
667 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
I must agree with most of the previous posts, BUT I would change the whole sentence and drop the but and expensive.

I am the highest value for a family show, because I prepare a customized experience that your family will remember. My show includes personalized magic effects that will include your children in the magic, and make them the star of the show. Several times during the performance your child will be the VIP and make the magic happen.

There are several easy to prepare items I learned from Eric Paul's books that make each show unique and special for the family. Also including some goodie bags and a giveaway magic bag-o-tricks, shows to the parents that you provide more value hence justifying a higher fee. If you sell the experience (benefits/solutions), instead of selling tricks, you have a unique product that will elevate you to the premium level of expectations and fees.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I am one of the more expensive children's entertainers, but... I have a 3 wives and 7 kids theres more every day.

I think drop it. if yor are opening it might put them off talk them through it explain your tell it will benefit them and if you want I am one of the more...

matt
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Donald is right, AND is a far better word BUT if YOU want to use BUT, then EXPECT those problems that come with BUT and HOWEVER.
Dennis Michael
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Cut out the word "but". Just simply wait and see if they ask why you are one of the more expensive entertainers in your area.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
But why even tell them your expensive in the first place, unless they tell you? Is there a marketing reason or logic behind a magician telling a prospect that they are exspensive? I do not know... I am just asking.

I would never go this route. I always listen to the prospect and ask questions to them such as:

- what would you like as the total outcome for your event that your having?

- how can I be of service to you to make this happen by meeting and answering your own needs for this event?

Questions like this get them talking. It gets them to give me critical information that I can use. I can then listen to their needs and their wants for this event and then tailor my answers to meeting these needs.

If I go through this process, by the time the price comes into the picture, I have already won them over and have them not seeing me as a product but as a person who can solve their problems. In this way price does not becomes so much the issue.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
If someone says "Gee your more expensive then they other guys..." I say:

"Absolutely, that's because I give the best value for money. You don't just get a magic show...you get a full package with entertainment, balloon animals and audience participation. I'm fully booked up almost every weekend."

This says a) I'm good b) I offer more then the other c) Other people book me at that price and d) you better book soon or you'll miss out.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Quote:
On 2004-09-28 15:36, magic4u02 wrote:
But why even tell them your expensive in the first place, unless they tell you? Is there a marketing reason or logic behind a magician telling a prospect that they are exspensive? I do not know... I am just asking.

There are only two situations I would tell a client I am the most expensive. The 1st is if I get an obvious price shopper who is only interested in hearing what my fee is. Rather than quote them anything I tell those callers I am the most expensive and that they probably could not afford my show. This does one of two things. It either gets rid of them or it sparks their interest in why I might be the most expensive. If they realise price may not be the most important concern I can usually proceed with my regular sales script.

The other situation is if they tell me I am expensive after I have quoted a fee. In that situation I want them to know I am the highest priced entertainer. I don¡¦t mind if they shop around for something cheap as long as they don¡¦t shop around for someone better.

The other little point in here is that when people think you are expensive that usually has nothing to do with your actual fee. Even they cheap guys get people telling them they are expensive, probably more so than someone like me. Funny but true. A couple of years ago my fees where less than half what they are now and I used to get much more price objections than I do now.

Yesterday I had a caller, (a father) after asking him how my offer sounded said it sounds expensive. I replied my saying my show is one of the more expensive available, but ¡K. Then as I paused to think what to say he politely terminated the call. I never got to finish my sentence.

Now I realise he was probably not the sort of client I want anyway, but I don¡¦t like being at a loss for words. Next time a similar situation happens I want to have a slick response.

Now I think those are very good points about not using 'but' or 'however' as a bridge. That tends to couch your statement about your fee in negative terms. You never say a positive thing but a positive thing.

I also agree that there are more positive words that can be used other than expensive, like simply higher priced for example. I am more interested in meaning however than semantics. To me what you say is remembered more than the words you use.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7424 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-09-28 17:30, Andy Walker wrote:
Yesterday I had a caller, (a father) after asking him how my offer sounded said it sounds expensive. I replied my saying my show is one of the more expensive available, but ¡K. Then as I paused to think what to say he politely terminated the call. I never got to finish my sentence.

Andy -

In this situation, here is what you say:

"I understand that you are concerned about price. Aside from that, was there anything else about the show information that concerned you?"

By doing this you confirm their concern, without acknowledging that it is correct. Then you also work to smoke out any other objections.

Then, as I stated earlier, I would answer their objection with some reference quotes. You can draw attention to them generally, or get real specific with an applicable quote.

Possibly one that even states a parent's concern about the price, but that they were happy in the end, after realizing they made a good investment. (I have quotes like these, and think you do, too, Andy.)

Here's my quote, from a birthday show customer named Judy Wilson: "Thank you for supplying such splendid entertainment at our granddaughter Alexis’s birthday party. I must confess that when my daughter first mentioned the price of the package you offered that I hesitated at spending that amount of money... In the past we have had ice-skating, swimming, bowling, and McDonalds™ birthday parties but this one by far was the best one. This was well worth the money spent. I would whole heartedly suggest other parents or grandparents hire you to provide entertainment that will create memories that will remain with their children forever.” (Yes, this customer legitimately wrote this in a reference letter to me.)

Answer the objection with a "cushion" (the "understand" statement about their concern), then make an effort to smoke out any further objections, then let a testimonial answer their objection.

If you let a testimonial or analogy answer the objection, you take the heat off of the fact you could brag about how great you are or how busy you are (that is "me-me, I-I" thinking). Let a past customer do that for you, because it carries more weight.

If you want, it would also be a good time to explain your guarantee, if you use one. This might have helped to deal with his concern, in addition to sharing the quote.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI Donald,
Handling objections ext like you do is fine and you can pull a certain percentage back this way if you want. I would personaly just follow Andys route if they cant afford me or don't want to afford me there are plenty more out there who can and will book me so why be bothered trying to talk them around unless of course you are desperate for work
Phillip
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12011 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I'm not the best but I'm one of them.

Seems people in these parts follow a comment (when I provide the price) with "how long does the show last?"

Then they look at the hourly rate at $125 or so and think it is insane. They have no clue what goes into the show etc.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
well $125.00 equates to about £69.00 (very low rate for magician 1 hour) However, if your washing mashine broke down you would be charged at least that for call out then time and parts. you are being called out, performing at thier selected venue for a private audience. providing top quality entertainment that will create happy memories for their child to cherish for a lifetime! I no who I would prefer to pay my $125.00 to (unless my washing mashine broke... TE HEE)
Phillip
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Donald do you really quote from customer testimonials over the phone? I'd never considered that because it just would feel so weird. But maybe it is not as silly as it sounds. Anyone else do it?
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7424 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Philip -

It depends how many prospects you get that call, and also what percentage you want to close, whether you choose to overcome objections or not. (Some people don't even track this sort of thing.)

Some people don't deal with objections because they choose not to bother (like you have stated). But some don't deal with them because they don't know how, or don't even understand what objections are.

-----------------------------

Wayne -

I would encourage you to have a sales script written out (eventually can be memorized, but use the written as a guideline when talking on the phone).

Your sales script can start by asking the customer relevant questions, then describing your show in detail offering features and benefits, and lastly quoting the price.

Even though the customer may ask for rates early, you don't have to answer that question immediately. If you need to understand this better, read this post I made on the Dean's List, especially towards the end, where I share how I deal with the price question from an overly-anxious customer.

If it comes down to it, I basically tell them that I am going to ask them some questions, then give them show information, then tell them the prices. They have to wait until the end to hear the rates.

Even the UK members, who often approach kid show marketing with a different slant, use a phone script / pitch (a consistent sales presentation, written or memorized), and quote the fee at the end. The show prospect should know more about your show and the length BEFORE the rates are quoted. It will increase response. Smile

-----------------------------

Andy -

Yes, in every sales presentation, I try to quote a testimonial. This was something taught to me in my Sales Advantage Course. AND IT WORKS!

It feels awkward at first, and you have to memorize some quotes, or at least have them on hand. Quote the appropriate type of quote for that type of customer.

However, even though it is a difficult thing to learn at first, it is to your benefit.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Depending upon what you want for the outcome, "but" can be just the word to use. The word "but" negates the preceding part of the sentence.

For example, imagine a prospect said "I really like what you're offering, but I don't have the budget for it." Assuming you want the sale and are willing to work with them, find out what their budget is and perhaps reply with "I understand your budget is limited, but I think we can perhaps have a 30 minute show instead of the 40 minute one and that will fit the budget."

As for being considered expensive, I am. I find that most of my kid show bookings come from the same part of town. I do get people who call, ask my price, and then move on to window shop more. There are cheaper magicians in my area and I'm sure they book them. But I'd rather do 10 shows for $x than 100 shows for the same amount.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Is everyone on this forum the highest priced entertainer in their area?

I feel that I am the best in my area but I do offer several different shows with competitive prices for different markets. If someone main concern is the price of the show I offer what I call the bargain package, they will still get a great show, just shorter with less give away’s and perks. I do not try and undercut the competition just try to keep my prices competitive in the market place.

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
I feel that I am the best in my area but I do offer several different shows with competitive prices for different markets.

Hi,
ultimately it matters little wether you think your the best. the trick is to get your clients to believe you are the best.
phillip
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Phillip:

Absolutely correct. It is not what YOU think of how good you are. You have to change the perceived value of what the prospect or client thinks of you and the services you are offering them. Get THEM to see you as the personto solve their event problems, and they will not care as much about the price.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
When someone says it's more than they imagined it's often because they've never booked anyone before, and didn't really know what to expect.

If I get the impression from their tone that I really am out of their price bracket, I don't push it, They've been told the fee, it's take it or leave it. If they leave it another booker will call and take the slot.

If they start to try and haggle "do you give a discount for cash?" etc, I ensure that I put a mark on their paperwork to ensure I get full payment before I start, just in case they try and haggle again afterwards. There are people out there who no matter how good your show is will still try and rip you off for a few bob if they can.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How would you complete this sentence? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL