The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How would you complete this sentence? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
They sure will. Which is why I use contracts and confirmation letters almost all the time. It really does help protect myself as much as I can.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2441 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
If all you want is "the cheapest entertainment you can get," look elsewhere. I offer you the lowest prices for a QUALITY SERVICE. If you're going to cancel me when you find someone $5 less, I'm probably not the guy for you. I'll price-match a show with features as good as mine, if you can find one. There are plenty of guys doing tricks they just bought at the magic store yesterday — they charge less because THAT'S ALL THEY'RE WORTH and because THEY DON'T OFFER NEARLY ALL THE FEATURES I OFFER.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<<"I understand your budget is limited, but I think we can perhaps have a 30 minute show instead of the 40 minute one and that will fit the budget." >>>>>

Why? when another booker paying the full price will ring for that slot. I often get the "oh how much for just a 30 minute show instead of an hour" question, when they can't afford the fee. I tell them it's the same price. my lowest fee is my 1-hour fee I don't go out for less. I never barter they get told a fee and it's take it or leave it.

I offer a one hour or 2- hour package, but I never tell them about the 1-hour unless they ask. Even if they start the conversation with, "I'm looking for someone for an hour at a party," I still go into the full 2-hour explanation. most don't even realise they could book for 2-hours and book it.

Those that are insistent they just want the 1-hour get told they can have the 1-hour magic show if they want, but only on a weekday, not a weekend.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Genuine snippet from phone conversation last year after quoting price:

Booker: We had ***** last year and he only charged X pounds.
Me: I charge Y pounds.
Booker: You should charge the same as *****
Me: Why don't you just book ***** again?
Booker: Well, he wasn't very good.......

I don't mention that I'm one of the more expensive magicians in my area in my phone pitch. I just matter of factly quote my price. I'm probably too curt with people who argue over the price. I'm offering a professional service not selling a fish at the market.

George
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Thanks for all you thoughts on this, especially Donald & Phillip. I've been thinking about this a bit & I agree some people that have price objections I probably am not going to want to bother with. That is part of the reason I have set my fees higher. I want to screen out people that don’t value what I do. To help me judge early on whether price of going to be an issue or separate the wheat from the shaft I have finally got a caller ID display unit. I can tell from the 1st three digits of a phone number what part of the city people are calling from. I know what regions most of my work comes from & if callers are outside these regions I can expect price objections.

As far as dealing with a price objections I've decided to say something along these lines.

The shows I do are not cheap, but they are good! I believe Johnny deserves an unforgettable party with all the fun & excitement a good magic show can bring. It is also worth it for you to not have to worry about the entertainment. This will give you the opportunity to relax & enjoy Johnny's special day yourself.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2441 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
"I'm offering a professional service not selling a fish at the market."

True, but sometimes a $10 "budge" in response to a request will nail down a sale ... IF you really want to fill that time slot very badly.

[Thoughtfully...] "I could give you ... (X-$10) ... my business manager (there is no such guy, but the caller doesn't know that) will be really upset with me, but I could do that for YOU."
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Andy, this might be just a local thing but I find the people who argue over the price are quite often the ones from the richer areas! I suppose that's how they got rich...

Ross, that's true, people do love to think they're getting a bargain. Maybe when I was starting out I'd be tempted to knock a fiver off to seal the deal on a weekday gig but nowadays I like to have a set price and stick to it. I feel it's more professional.

George
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
George, it must be a local thing. Local people never try haggling here. Actually the only callers that think my show is too expensive are people that only heard about me from my yellow pages listing. People that have seen me before, read my web site or been referred to me from a friend never seem to think that. Perhaps that is a sign I’m still too cheap. Sometimes I get people that have seen my web site say things like 'It sounds like your show is worth every penny, but I just can't afford to spend that much'. Usually these are the same people have already committed to a PlayStation II gift and a bouncy castle before thinking about a magic show as a possible extra.

The only people that ever seem to want to bargain over the price are immigrants from particular countries. Even then it is not usually a real price objection; it is just a cultural thing they always do.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Same here, it's only the folks who have just come across my name in the YP that have price issues. Haggling actually happens very rarely. (I just can't get the image of Eric Idle selling a gourd out of my mind everytime I say that word) but the few times it has it's been the rich folk. The example of the phone convo I gave above is a prime example. The woman spent ages trying to get me to knock a tenner off my price. I actually felt a bit mean for sticking to my guns when I put the phone down because I thought if she was trying that desperatly she must really need the extra £££'s. When I turned up at the mansion she lived in my jaw hit the floor.
George
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Quote:
On 2004-10-03 19:35, magicgeorge wrote:
Same here, it's only the folks who have just come across my name in the YP that have price issues. Haggling actually happens very rarely. (I just can't get the image of Eric Idle selling a gourd out of my mind everytime I say that word) but the few times it has it's been the rich folk. The example of the phone convo I gave above is a prime example. The woman spent ages trying to get me to knock a tenner off my price. I actually felt a bit mean for sticking to my guns when I put the phone down because I thought if she was trying that desperatly she must really need the extra £££'s. When I turned up at the mansion she lived in my jaw hit the floor.
George

Thats exactly right - you don't get rich by spending money.

I dropped my price for a party - Turned up to a big house and drive full of Mercs , BMWs and Jags.

Never did it again.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Sometimes dropping your price will cost you a gig.

Snob appeal, for want of a better term, is often something that can close a deal faster than anything, especially among the yuppie set and the upper crust types. They are VERY competetive, especially when it comes to their children and what they do for them.

In many cases, I have found magicians to be woefully underpriced for their markets and, in some cases, by underpricing as they do, they kill the credibility of magicians as a whole with certain portions of the buying public.

How many times have we heard "magicians are a dime a dozen?" That comment does not only relate to how easy it is to find a magician, but to our perceived pricing out there.

Just a couple of thoughts from a guy who won't work little kid's parties, but will work Bar - bat mitzvahs, Sweet-16's and the like and who found out the hard way that he'd been charging too little.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12006 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I have a script, think it's just I get soft sometimes.

Some great advice on this thread, keep it coming:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How would you complete this sentence? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL