The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Charming Chinese Challenge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
This looks GREAT on DVD. I'm definatley thinking of buying it. Any comments would be appriciated, but my main question is this. Is there anywhere you can buy this with the needed equipment, so you don't have to pay 30-40 bucks JUST on the coins? (Like a package deal?)
Mark Butcher
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, NY
116 Posts

Profile of Mark Butcher
You could always buy some brass washers at a hardware/home improvement store and polish them up. They would work just fine.

Mark
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Jordini,
This is not exactly what you are looking for, but here is a link:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......31&0

It is a review of the overall lecture, but I can tell you that Charming Chinese Challenge was a nice effect.
treysdaddy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of treysdaddy
Joanne's fabric store sells a ribbon that has a tape measure printed on it that goes nicely with the hardware brass washer theme. The ribbon is a little wide ( I'm still looking for something thinner), but it will work. Perhaps "Hardware Hijinx" could be an option for those who own the dvd or Destroyers and know the handling.
Bill
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Jordini - No set exists, as far as I know. The routine is great, and is excellent for walk-around, as well as stand-up. Any hole coins will work, and you can sometimes find East Africa 10 cent coins for cheap (these are excellent for the routine, as they are thin, like the Sasco coins Troy uses.) I like Papua New Guinea 1 Kina coins, because of the design on the coin, but they are thicker and larger than a half dollar. Good luck -
treysdaddy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of treysdaddy
Those east africa coins are good. I have seen them for around 4.00 each. Just to play with, I bought Japanese yen coins that are about nickel size. Besides being very small, they have a raised edge that makes them tough to slide around. From a coin shop,I was able to buy some real chinese coins that are about quarter size and weight. They were 2.50 each. Also, the very thin chinese "feng shuei"(sp) coins seem too lightweight to handle well.
Bill
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Troy Hooser sells the DVD and the coins at a good price, but you will never get the coins for "free."

Kirk G
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
So this is definatley worth picking up?
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-09-28 17:23, Jordini wrote:
So this is definatley worth picking up?

Yes.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2126 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
It READS good, but is there anywheres we can see a video demo?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
sarcophilus
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
195 Posts

Profile of sarcophilus
Hocus-Pocus might have a demo. And yes, this trick is great. I use the half dollar size coins close up, and I found great larger than dollar size chinese coins that I use for a stage/parlor version.
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
If you watch all of the material on the DVD you'll find an absolutely awesome opening phase from Shoot Ogawa. It only uses three coins, so as you reveal the first penetration you have a ton of cover to steal the extra coin.

I think this is the best combination. Shoot's phase one combined with Troy's second and third phases. It's pretty frightening.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
The Mighty Fool:

Troy Hooser, as well as many other guys, and even I use this all the time for my proffesional shows.

It is a great effect that is very amazing, and solid stuff.

Get it.
sarcophilus
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
195 Posts

Profile of sarcophilus
I agree that Shoot's contribution to this effect is amazing.
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
It's also nice that you can extend the routine if the audience is really into it with Apollo's phase and adding Troy's other handlings.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
This is definitely a great routine - very strong, but not too technically demanding. Shoot's opening is killer, but I can't get it to work with the Sasco coins (too slippery for me), which is one reason I prefer the East Africa or 1 Kina coins. You won't be disppointed with this -
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of ventman
I second that, Bill. This is a very strong effect! People really freak because some of the magic happens in their own hands! Always a great plus.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Alright, I couldn't stand it anymore. I bought it. (Haven't opened it yet).
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Jordini,

My girlfriend just got back from Tanzania in Africa (East Africa).

While she was there she brought back a bunch of coins with holes in them. They WERE expensive. About 3-4 dollars each as someone mentioned above. They are not as big as chinese coins but man do they ever look good.

I'd strongly suggest going with coins like these because they have a much more authentic look than the gaffs you'll buy...just my $0.02
Logic Defied
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
I routine this with Hooser's "A Touch of Brass" and it makes a pleasing sequence.

Asper
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Charming Chinese Challenge (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL