The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Charming Chinese Challenge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-09-29 10:24, asper wrote:
I routine this with Hooser's "A Touch of Brass" and it makes a pleasing sequence.

Asper

Asper,

Where can this be found? Is it a separate item or is it only found in a video or a book?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
This can be found in his book 'Destroyers', as well as on Volume 2 of the Total Destruction DVD set.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Asper - I just watched 'Touch of Brass' and it is a perfect segue into CCC. Thanks for the idea -
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
The cost of the coins depends where you get them from! Magician's chinese coins are incredibly expensive.

For a much cheaper option, look for a store selling Feng Shui homewares (there are hundreds if you search Google). Chinese coins are a popular decoration and you'll get them at a fraction of the cost. Typical example would be about $7 for six coins.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of ventman
I personally use the Feng shui coins that are a half dollar size. Once I handed a magician chinese coin and a feng shui coin to a lay person and asked them what they thought. They thought that the magician chinese coin was probably tricked in some way and the feng shui coin looked authentic. The thickness or should I say the thinness on the feng shui greatly aid in the routine. Even though I have the magician chinese coins, I use the feng shui coins for this routine.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I watched this for the first time today. I must admit, for the price I paid (DVD+coins,) I was more than a little upset when I saw how short the DVD is, and there are a few minor bugs). I suppose once I start actually doing this routine, I will enjoy it. (The lady in the video didn't look terribly impressed, but then again, she didn't seem all quite there.)
sarcophilus
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
195 Posts

Profile of sarcophilus
She probably didn't look to impressed because she is a pretty talented magician in her own right...
tommy k
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of tommy k
For those of you looking for some sivler dollar sized oriental coins (much like the Feng Shui coins), you can find them at most craft stores or Wal-marts. You can find them in the bead section as they are sold with smaller coins that are drilled for beadery (for some reason the large ones aren't drilled).

Also, East Coast Magic sells thin coins, $2.50 for half dollar sized and $3.00 for silver dollar sized.

Both of these work for this excellent effect.
Bball5630
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Bball5630
It's an excellent routine. I've seen it performed and am in the process of learning it myself.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

While the DVD is relatively short, the routine is excellent, and has several variations (Shoot Ogawa's Tokyo Opener is very strong, and allows you to start clean). The routine is well explained, and is not technically demanding (though not at all self-working). It is instantly reset, can play large or small, and looks quite stunning when performed well. Magicians make the worst audience, as we are jaded and not easily impressed, and it would be my guess that this was not the first time she had seen the trick. I have no qualms paying for a routine that I will actually use, and this is one I use - in contrast, I have purchased many videos and dvd's that are loaded with tricks, but none which I consider worth learning. The same arguments have been put forward for the Chris Korn dvd's, only 3 or 4 effects, but these are tricks that are worth learning, for me. Worth is subjective, and only you can decide whether it is of value to you. Learn it and see what response you get from people, and then decide...Best of luck -
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Its great
not a long routine, but I love the whole idea, and I think its simplicity adds to the effect
sleightofand
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
188 Posts

Profile of sleightofand
How many coins will I need to buy if I was to get the dvd so then I don't have to purchase both items separately, thanks, andy
Dam
View Profile
New user
Brest in France
100 Posts

Profile of Dam
Just four coin are needed.
It's one of my favorit effect, no routine.
I learn it from Troy, and it was very impressive moment when I show him do it for the first time.
When I do this trick, I remember me that, and when I show the spectator's reaction, my conclusions are allready the same :
What f*****g good trick.
Lot of thanks, Troy, to release it for us.
damien
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Been a while since this thread has been active, but I must revive it.

I did this at a dinner party that both my kids (30 and 27) were at last night.

These kids have been watching me do magic their entire life. Neither had seen me do this effect, and both were very amazed and complimentary. This will now be a part of my A+ set.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Charming Chinese Challenge (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL