The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Easy Bag and Wrist Restraint For Sub Trunk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Red_Magic_Jones
View Profile
New user
\
20 Posts

Profile of Red_Magic_Jones
We have used regular easy out shackles, and of course the bottomless bag. Since Robert puts me into the bag and cuffs and I exchange places in the truck with our assistant, the timing and the placement of bag and shakles is very important.
I pull the bag off from over my head and have the shakles placed in the bag, where the knot is. That way all our assistant has to do as soon as I exit the box is scoot over, put her wrists and head in, and she's ready to go. By the time that Robert is on top of the box and has the curtain up, I'm crouched at his feet and ready.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Scott you might want to get a thicker Curtain. and Nice Rhyming sounds like the One Doug Henning Used. Don,
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
We perform the sub trunk for many years now. We do it in such way that my assistant is locked and placed inside, and at the end, she's out and I'm inside. At the beginning, we used a bottomless bag, but as we both do a quick costume change inside the trunk, the things got more complicated. Simply, because there are clothes inside, it is very hard to find the bag and put it on the right way. At the beginning, we had anecdotes like the trunk being unlocked, I'm getting out and my assistant is in a deep shock as she sees me stand up in a sack which is now inside out, or I'm getting out and there are my pants on top of the sack, etc...

Another thing was the fact that I always wanted to be able to show the sack before placing my assistant inside and not use any of the complicated systems to open and then close the sack secretly in some place or so (pur costumes inside the trunk already create a lot of mess). So what I did is - I made an opening at the back side of the sack, close to the bottom (30 cm from the bottom up). It is a huge opening, like 70cm in diameter - a huge circle cut out. To be able to find it very quickly, I have sewn a white ribbon on the outside around the opening. I show the sack by first reaching inside the trunk and grabbing the top (the opening being on a back side and as it is close to the bottom, it still remains inside the trunk). I spread the sack open holding the top opening on one side and my assistant holds the oposite side and we hold it in such a way that it is stretched tightly. Next we start gathering the fabric - me on my side and she on her side. Soon the sack is gathered and the bottom is in our hands and the opening is not visible - they can't see it because of the gathered fabric and all the wrinkles. So we bring it to the front and the audience sees the bottom then we just throw it back in and that's it.

When she enters the sack, her legs are already out of it through this back opening. Once she's inside, she just throws it over her head and she's out. she places it inside nicely so that I can see the white border around the secret opening. If I don't see the border, that means that the bag accidentaly turned inside out, so I turn inside out again before placing the opening over my head.

Also, the important thing is the light - a strong flashlight that we have inside which enables both of us to see what we are doing.

We use the Siberian Chain escape, as it is very simple and looks nice.

The sequence goes as follows: she is in the sack, she is still standing while I'm closing the bag. While she is still standing she gets rid of the chain thing and she changes the costume. It literally takes 3 seconds for her to do all this and we have practiced her movements inside and my way of holding the top (while I wrap some rope aroud it) in such way that literally no movement is seen - it looks as if she's standing still and she actually has a very dynamic sequence inside. Then I push her inside, close and lock the trunk, we perform the exchange. Once I'm in I get the flashlight and put it in my mouth, I get rid of my costume and I look for the white border of the back opening. I pull it over my head and for a second I lay down on my back with my feet up so that I can place both of my feet inside and I place my feet in 2 bottom corners and I make sure that the opening is in the back of my legs. It takes 7-8 seconds for me to do this, while she unlocks and unties the trunk. I sit and usually by the time I grab the Siberian chains, she has already opened the trunk and as I go up I put the chains on (that is around 2 seconds) and I "spit" the flashlight (it is a rubber covered flashlight so it can't break). I usually get some time to arrange my hair nicely before the bag is opened to reveal me inside.

The placement of the things inside is crucial, I know exactly where her costume is, where the flash light is, where I will place my costume and where the bag is (the worst thing that can happen if the bag is not placed in the right place is to find out that you are completely sitting on it and pulling it out from below can be quite a challenge in such a small space and a limited time).
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I saw that I was getting hits on my website from this thread. I used to have a video of a performance of metamorphosis by me and my wife. I had taken that down, and am using that URL for my blog, but thought that if people were looking for the video I should put it back. I've reposted it via Youtube. and linked it back again on my site.

You can see it HERE

It's not the best performance, but as an amateur I'm pretty happy with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Easy Bag and Wrist Restraint For Sub Trunk (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL