The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What do you look for in mentalism products? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Why do you buy mentalism products? What are you looking for when you buy one?
Are you after something specific or are you looking for what's new on the scene. Is expense an obstacle?

In my case I usually know what exactly I'm looking for though in the past I have been caught up in hype just like every one else.
As far as expense goes, I look for how much mileage I'll get out of any given product. If it will last my life time expense is not a great problem.

So, what do you look for?

H.W

p.s Just cleared my pm box, sorry to anyone who tried to pm me and couldn't.
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
My first criteria nowadays the product must promise the premise of ordinary. I don't have anything against clever mechanical props and such but from what I claim in performance, the stuff I do has to appear 'ordinary'. I do not mind utilities.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Like most of us that have been doing this awhile we've gone from buying "Props" to buying books.
As has been often said "everything you could ever need for mentalism could be bought at your local office supply store"
Almost true.
If I'm not buying a book or DVD I will buy some expensive "toy" when I have the cash.
Right now I'm fixated on the Psi Sharpie at Hocus Pocus.
We all really need a $175.00 remote controlled sharpie don't we? Smile
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Myster, Im right on line with you and the sharpie thing, only I'm waiting for post sales price of $199.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I find it very difficult to discover a new dealer's item or product that I can fit into my show. Because I travel the *psycholical influence* road, effects that look like pk are out, as are all prop-oriented effects.

Electronic gimmickry can be fun to play with, but even the best of them have the potential to let you down at the worst possible moment.

I find that I invariably look back to the classics for inspiration when adding something new to my show. If I find an effect that I like, I usually have to change the context and presentation of the effect, and often the method, before it fits in with what I do.

Re-visiting Corinda's Powers of Darkness at the moment, trying out a new presentational angle.

- entity

Sorry. Post should read *psychological influence*. I shall pay better attention in the future.

- entity
CSMTREE
View Profile
Veteran user
El Paso, Texas
316 Posts

Profile of CSMTREE
I look for quality. Not all quality items are expensive, however in this business you get what you pay for. We've all been burned before with crappy products that don't live up to their claim. I think you are right on target with the books and DVD idea. Nowadays, I buy very little Magic and lots of books and video. I don't know much about the Sharpie effect but I'll check it out. My fixation is on the Miracle cassette prediction (very costly).

Bill
"Freedom is the best Magic of all"
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Sex appeal!
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of giochi
Quote:
On 2004-09-28 22:41, entity wrote:
I find it very difficult to discover a new dealer's item or product that I can fit into my show. Because I travel the *psycholical influence* road, effects that look like pk are out, as are all prop-oriented effects.

Sorry. Last post should have read *psychological influence*. I shall pay better attention before I post in the future.

- entity

correcting your post is 'out'... get with the now.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Thanks to the good people on this Café it is easy to make sure you are not being fooled or buying stuff which is not quite what you want
Cheers
TJ
oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
Quote:
On 2004-09-29 02:03, teejay wrote:
Thanks to the good people on this Café it is easy to make sure you are not being fooled or buying stuff which is not quite what you want
Cheers
TJ

And thanks to the good people on this café, my wallet is screaming for mercy every month Smile

like most of us I guess, when I first came in the magic area, I spent a lot of money on props that I don't use anymore.
The day I bought 13 steps, everything changed and since that day I only buy books and dvds (but, one thing hasn't changed: I still spend a lot of money :o))
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
When it comes to props I have my travel case, when it comes to impromtu, I have two pens, a notepad and a deck of cards and a few coins and permant marker in my pockets and I'm set to go for at least 10 routenes from scratch and more if I rack my brain. you couldn't get cheaper.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Jeff Travilla
View Profile
New user
Michigan
45 Posts

Profile of Jeff Travilla
For me, real mentalism... if it existed... would be done with absolutely no props... maybe some cards or a piece of paper, but I'm definitely a minimalist when it comes to prop based mentalism. Maybe I just hate carrying stuff? Anyway, I always try to consider how genuine it is going to look. I really like some of the verbal force type of stuff. I don't need 100 percent success rate. Real mentalism wouldn't be 100% anyway.

I had a friend who argued that 100% success was better especially if you could get the same giant reaction that you get on the "hits" of something that isn't 100%... here was my rebuttal.

There's an effect in the documents that come with Wonder Words...

You hand a paper-clipped, folded up card to a spectator and have her name any card. She does. She opens the card herself, it never left her hand... and it is the named card...

This is not 100%... but try to find something with that strong of an effect that is 100%... I'm sure you will be hard pressed.

-Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What do you look for in mentalism products? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL