The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » El Cheapo Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
What really, really cheap tricks have you bought on a whim that were surprisingly good?

For me, I've been getting great reactions from Future Fungus (a string of flowers change order then change back) and appearing flower in pot (tap a wand on a pot and a flower appears...I believe empire make a version)

Both of this are cheap indian effects that cost me under $15 each yet they both KILL!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I don't really like the flower in flower pot I think it seems to easy were it comes from. Sometimes I use future fungus but it is slightly to long for my roll on even though I have cut it down, I get a medium responce from it I use a similar patter to David Ginns. I think marc dominics routine might work were the future fungus is cut into two and the change in the kids hands, marc maybe able to shed more light on it. Like I said in another post I really like bongos hat that was £15 a bargin in my opinion. I also sometimes use second hand magic that was really cheap, do it up and you have a ncie prop for a nice price. My monkey was possibly my best buy I got it couple of years ago from a market, he gets great reactions. For kids close up I use fly paddles they were £3.50 and they are really good kids love them especially when you pretend to eat the flies!

Matt
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Ribbon of fun, I bought it from Ron Gilbert 10 years ago, and re-introduced it into the act this year with a completly new routine from the one I used before.

It was worth the tenner I paid for it in the first place
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I got a 5-bloom "Blooming Bouquet" from Ginn a lo-o-o-ong time ago. I think its a cheapo from India. I've used that thing to death for over 10 years. Feathers fall off on occasion, and I glue/tape new ones from the craft store, but other than that it's still going ... and going ... and going.

I recently bought a bit 10-bloom version, but I like the smaller one better and never put the new one to work ...
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Ditto to Starrpower . . . that goofy little bouquet is their favorite . . . even though I get kids yelling that it looks more like feathers than a bush - I just agree with them and go on, and they still love it!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Oh, I cop to the fact that it's feathers right from the start. But, that's the magic ... even though it's feathers, it'll still bloom by magic someties during the show, etc. etc.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2004-09-29 06:14, magic_matt wrote:
I don't really like the flower in flower pot I think it seems to easy were it comes from. Sometimes I use future fungus but it is slightly to long for my roll on even though I have cut it down, I get a medium responce from it I use a similar patter to David Ginns. I think marc dominics routine might work were the future fungus is cut into two and the change in the kids hands, marc maybe able to shed more light on it. Like I said in another post I really like bongos hat that was £15 a bargin in my opinion. I also sometimes use second hand magic that was really cheap, do it up and you have a ncie prop for a nice price. My monkey was possibly my best buy I got it couple of years ago from a market, he gets great reactions. For kids close up I use fly paddles they were £3.50 and they are really good kids love them especially when you pretend to eat the flies!

Matt

Yeah. I thought that as well. Yet the reactions I get are GREAT. A adults have asked where the flower comes from. It does require a good presentation and it does need to be on the off beat. You also need to PRACTISE to make it work.

I do it, telling the children that they have to say the magic words correctly etc. They keep 'messing up' and so I refuse to the magic. THEN the flower appears and they go nuts!

Its a bit like the flower vanishing from table. The gimmick is never fast enough.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Would this work Nic,

You show the pot empty mix in the seeds whatever you put the wand in the pot not getting the flower yet you say 'and a beutiful flower is now in the pot!' you do a double take and wonder where it is and as you do it a second time, releasing the flower, you put the pot facing you so the audience can see the end of the pot (angles maybe tricky) you say I'm sure their is ment to be a flower here somewhere, you look in the wand 'not their' maybe on the end of the pot not their maybe its behind me lifting up the pot so they can see the flower and do all the usual looking around for it.
Just an idea, I might get one to play around with it.
Matt
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I find the cheap indian tricks are often useful to test out tricks with. I often buy the cheapo version and if I like it upgrade to a better made one. I used to do a routine based around a soft toy that cost me £2. It eventually came apart at the seams and I haven't been able to find it again, should've bought a tenners worth.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
996 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I've had fun with the stiff ropes I bought when I was in India. I also got one of the those break away fans for only $2.50AUD, and have had a bunch of fun with that. One other thing I got from an Indian magician is what I call my candy oven. Two tubes that fit together with one other piece in the middle. I put in, sugar, milk powder, salt, red and blue color (mixed with alcohol, for outside night shows). Set it all on fire, then put the two together and walla, there's a ton of candy or whatever you want to produce from it. Cost me hardly anything, but the kids really like it. (I know all the arguments about candy etc, however here in Asia at certain cultural times it's prudent to give candy to others).

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Oh yes stiff rope and the linking coloured ropes thing I have used them sometimes they play well sometimes they don't I think it depends on the audience I have had mixed reactions from both tricks but they were both worth the money.
Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » El Cheapo Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL