The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Slim Price's Sideshow Notes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Mark Freierson wrote this, and I agree completely!
There are a lot of young people that want to get a break, find someone to mentor them, and help them get a start in the sideshow. What do they need to know today to get a start in the business?

A. My take on this is, that the sideshow art, whether it is performing, banner painting, or gaff building is definitely a coveted art form. It's like the skills and secrets of a magician. They should never just be given away randomly to whomever. They shouldn't be sold, it's something that should be definitely passed down to someone as an apprentice, a person should seek out someone to instruct them and help them as a mentor. Then the mentor can see that they are genuine, See that the individual isn't there for the wrong reasons or just because they think it’s cool and they think they are going to be hip if they know how to do these things and can impress their friends. If a person wants to continue the art form they should do it because they believe in its historical legacy and are doing something personally to ensure that it is not going to die out. It has been passed on in this manner from one person to another, much like some cultures have done for many years to preserve their history. This is how it should be done. Today with the technology the way it is, we have the Internet and other ways where people can find things out. If they gain the knowledge and then use it for their own selfish reasons or because of greed, it is very, very wrong. Some people have a limited knowledge and then try to use it for themselves or to teach others. Without the proper training these things can be extremely dangerous. They are setting themselves, and those people whom they try to teach, up to get hurt and potentially setting themselves up for lawsuits. I'm speaking of performing the skills of the various acts like fire eating and sword swallowing. Granted these things have their roots in science and physics. If they are practiced and done correctly they are relatively harmless. However, if you do anything the wrong way, it can either harm you permanently or kill you. There are many sideshow acts that could be potentially fatal or cause bodily scaring and alter your anatomy in ways that you will never be able to repair. There are a lot of kids out there today that see these things and think, “That looks so easy, I can do that.” They sometimes end up hurting themselves and others. (End)
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Utah Showmen
View Profile
Regular user
Utah Showman
135 Posts

Profile of Utah Showmen
Thanks Slim for posting about New Performers.

I agree with what you have always said about finding someone to teach you the arts of the sideshow.

I thought everyone would be very interested in the rest of Mark Frierson Interview. So here's Parts ! and 2 of his interview on Sideshow Central.

Part one http://www.knddesign.com/sc/friersoninterview.html

Part Two
http://www.knddesign.com/sc/friersoninterview2-1.html

Everyone should check out Slim's collection in the Good Old Days section on Sideshow Central.
http://www.knddesign.com/sc/thstgod-tspc.html

As Slim says "Keep the Candle Burning".

Slim, Thanks for your great contributions to the world of the Sideshow.

Wishing you all a wonderful Holiday.

Wishing you the best,

John
John Robinson
Sideshow World
Preserving the Past....Promoting the Future of the Sideshow

Step Right Up It's always Alive on the Inside of Sideshow World

So Go In Now!
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
This is the season for saying thank you to all our friends, those we know and those we have yet to meet.
Season's Greetings to all!
Slim
the Sidehows are are a heritage that must be saved, however we can... Let's all keep a candle burning and pass on what has been given us... Lately, I traced what would have been Blaine stunts to 760 AD!
Our door is always open!
Slim & Krista
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Will,
You don't need google to find the H.D.s you don't even have to leave the Café:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&428
George
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
A note about Howie Diddits. All over this wonderful site there are places to ask questions about virtually any thing having to do with magic and most anything related. They are filled with people who are eager to respond. Howie Diddit asks you to look for sources "outside the box" (spelled the magic shop) Think of it as a do-it-your self page. Support your dealers, they can guide you in ways you might never expect and show you the best stuff on the market. HD, (I like that) is simply a way to beat the users who make huge profits on things that will often cost you just pennies. Keep your eyes open, you might save someone(or yourself) a lot of bucks...
Respectfully,
Slim/ Howiee Diddit/Anti-Elitist
sanscan@tds.net

Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
I just wanted to thank Slim in public for his generous help and vast knowledge of sideshow bits. If anyone has questions, this is definitely the man to ask.

Doug McKenzie
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Hey Oscarquella,

We don’t have any definite plans yet, but we may do something at a local con over the 4th July weekend. And, if all going well we’ll be back next Halloween.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
Bohh
View Profile
Regular user
Northeast Ohio
162 Posts

Profile of Bohh
I just wanted to share how thankful I am that we have Slim in this wonderful community. He has shared with me a wonderful bit of information about cards and without knowing much about me.

I am truely thankful and cannot express how great I think it is to have a place where people can come together and share such great information.

Thanks Slim.
jennieprice
View Profile
Regular user
Quartzsite, Az
118 Posts

Profile of jennieprice
Slims birthday is coming up on the 29th january, and it would be great if anyone who's recieved his sideshow notes to sent him a note saying thanks. It would mean a lot to him. His email is sanscan@4dcomm.com

Jennieprice
levitatingace
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of levitatingace
Slim, thanks so much for the notes on the "blockhead". for those who don't know what their like, he provides a detailed history on the act how to do it safely, and how to avoid unneccacary precautions. these are great, and I now feel much more secure performing it. I'm glad I didn't abuse this privelege he provides, and I hope nobody else does. THANKS SLIM

Jacob Feld...Magician
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
I recently posted a thread here on the effect of getting a chicken and cutting the head off.Just like (I know you hate this name)...haha....David blaine did on his tv special.

Needles to say.

Slim came to the rescue!....Can't you just tell he is a superhero from all the posts here!...He truely is a sideshow great!....hopefully I can visit him sometime since He lives so Darn close to me.

The effect is going along great except for some complications he knows of. I am sure I will be done with it soon for sure and it made me think about getting a DOVE act!....Which is something really interesting , I never thought of before because.... it looked "too nice".

The method is ingenious and I am certain this is probably how it has been performed for some time now. Everything makes sense. If you want I can share it with you, if you have a genuine interest. As slim pointed out to me.

It is maginificent just like slim.

Thank you SO much and he CAN help us all in many ways. Including his amazing stories on sideshow central that can help us deal with life also.

Because he is more than an entertainer. He is an concearned person.

Thanks Slim again.

You are AMAZING.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5920 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
I extend my sincere thanks to Slim, for providing his incredibly detailed notes on ‘Human Blockhead’ which he so generously and graciously sent (emailed) me. I would like to publicly tell everyone how knowledgeable and helpful this member of the Café has been. He responded promptly to my request.

Thank you (once again!), Slim.

Kind regards,

Narendra

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia, now In New Zealand
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Thanks to for your help. Makes me wonder what I have been missing before joining the magic Café and meeting people like Slim
Many Blessings!!

Paul
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
THank you so much slim. YOu are as they say the real deal. People do not abuse this mans kindness. This is a good man who has worked hard. Don't abuse his kindness. Thanks agian.

Anton
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia, now In New Zealand
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Anton

has someone been abusing Slims'kindenss? (just trying to understand if this is just a general comment or ...) If so that is sad.
Many Blessings!!

Paul
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
No just a general comment. Peoples generosity often get abused in this world. Often times over knowedge. That is all.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
If I billed the notes for Lecture notes" they would cost a fortune, every sideshow act is covered, in detail.In all.they run to hundreds of pages and represent over a half century of performing and learning by doing. They have takem me at least a couple of years to write, cautiously and accurately. To some degree they are all at least a little dangerous.They cover a lot of "magic" as well as down and dirty sideshow work. Yet (A) I get mail saying send me your notes, man, by those who just want a free book.
(B) the other part is the notes I get when I ask for an E-mail and a short honest bio. Because of my system I need the E-mail address to send them, some run about 15 pages each ,and I like to protect the requester and myself by knowing who I am sending them to. For some reason some have found this offensive! Most of the mail I get comes from people who don't even know what they want. Maybe I'm petty, but I find this to be abuse. All I ask is appropriate respect.
My E-mail is <sanscan@4dcomm.com>
sanscan@tds.net

DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
I can tell you from experience that Slim is offering you pure gold here, and for nothing more than an email. His notes are wonderful, there is nothing like them anywhere else out there.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you again.
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5920 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Once again, I extend my sincere thanks to Slim, for providing his incredibly detailed notes,this time on ‘Human Dynamo’ which he so generously and graciously sent me. He has always responded promptly to my requests. I would like to tell everyone how helpful Mr. Slim Price has always been.

Thank you, Slim.

Kind regards,

Narendra

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
nornb
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of nornb
Dear Mr. Price,
I may have been one of the guys who emailed you in the past with an ill thoughtout request.
I apologise if I caused you offence. The information you did email to me was very useful - Many thanks.
All I need is the bottle to perform it. Smile

All the best,
Norn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Slim Price's Sideshow Notes (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL