The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Hobbit type routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I have been working on putting together a show around the Lord of the Rings. I am doing a routine from Peter M. wondering anyone else has any Bizarre effects around this theme??
Most magically yours,
WR Smile Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
mysterium
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
100 Posts

Profile of mysterium
Hmmm.... the first thing that's comes to mind would be a pseudo-psychometry with a "ring" theme.

Have the One Ring on your person, and demonstrate how it can find another, hidden ring. You could recite the "One Ring to rule them..." poem while doing the location.

And if you know how to muscle read, finding the ring would be a superb way to demonstrate it.
knave
View Profile
New user
UK Newcastle
72 Posts

Profile of knave
Great ideas... I like the idea of giving the ring a mind of its own.

A pendulum routine could work very well here, with the ring recognising or trying to get back to its master.

Loop the ring through a suitable chain (as in the book) then talk about how it betrayed Isildur (to his death) and Gollum, and still tries to escape it's keeper to return to its dark master. It was placed upon this very chain to prevent its escape and the consequent ruin of the world. But still it feels the draw of the Dark Lord - as we shall see.

Have some cards made up, five or more with elf runes on representing figures of power (Gandalf, Elrond, Saruman etc.) and one with the fiery Eye of Sauron, They all have the same backs.

You could go into a standard pendulum routine with the face up cards but I feel this would be a little flat as everyone would just be waiting for the ring to pass the Sauron card. So, you turn away and ask the spec to mix the cards (face up) then turn them over, so only they and the ring know where the Dark Lord resides. Then go into the pendulum routine with the ring revealing the Eye of Sauron. The pendulum routine (as I'm sure everyone here already knows) works on an old, tried and tested principle, written up in many places. For anyone not familiar with it, there is a great routine in "The Book of Thoth" by Stephen Minch, along with many other great effects for the Bizzarist.

One little point. This should take place mid to late in your routine so your amazing powers have already been established e.g. after the great ideas put forward by Mysterium. This gives you a reason to turn away during the mixing of the cards when really you have no reason to as the effect does not involve you. You turn away because you do not want to influence the pendulum ! "I'll turn my back, so I don't know the resting place of Sauron, so there's no way I could influence the ring." This sets up a really good explanation for the more skeptical audience members. The first scenario (as effect is intended) is pure bafflement, you will get the usual (magnets etc.) explanations, but with careful set-up you can disconnect from these. With the second scenario they think you cheated - by moving the ring with your mind! "Those cards are marked and when it came to the right one he made it move himself." Either way you win!

I have done a version of this many times, normaly the point being to prove the spec has the power within them, I always turn away at some point saying I don't want to influence the outcome by knowing where items are placed etc. The explanation (normaly by men) that I cheated and moved it myself has come up on several occasions. In some ways, this can be stronger as it give you all the credit.

Hope this works for you.

Regards
Dave

PS. Remeber it's "The Ring" and "Figures of Power", not "the pendulum" and "the cards"
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
534 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
The ring trick on Johnny Ace Palmer's first trilogy video would be great. It was in his FISM routine. He places the ring in the left hand and it reappears on the right hands fingers.

Excellent effect.

Joey
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
With the ring as the focus there's a ton of material including THE DEMON RING bit from Rick Maue's "Book of Haunted Magick" and various routines employing the old Jordan Ellis Ring or a Himber Ring.

What we need to think about are the other magickle items in that book/tale... the Sword, the issue of invisibility (black art & thread act for stage work... you put on the ring while sitting on a throne chair and visibly vanish -- in slow motion -- only for things to begin happening about the stage... Email me for details to Kirkham's Invisible Man Illusion/act)

The Black Riders could, in a large scaled show, equate to things like the Cape Vanish of a Girl used by Lance Burton, along with a Vanishing Horse.

The Emulation of Gandolph could be done via the old Fire & Water transition routine.

I know these ideas might be a bit off your orignal track of thought, but I believe you can see the potential of it all.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Luke Kerr
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Luke Kerr
I think that all belongs to the dimension of a show.
In a stage show you could do very great things.
In a Parlour/close up it will be nice and astonishig but you can't materialize the BALROG!! Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4381 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Yes, but you can set everything on fire!

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Luke Kerr
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Luke Kerr
Yes at the end everithing got burned,but the card/icon/object/miniature/actor that will be Gandalf exit from the smoke alive Smile
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
There are some Lord of the ring/Hobbit type routines in the Compleat Invocation. If I can find the time, I will look them up & post the page numbers(unless someone else would be so kind).
Wil Castor
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
144 Posts

Profile of Wil Castor
If you are familiar with darkstone you could transpose it to rings in a box or bag (instead of stones) very easily and always pick out the "dark ring" as it is the "one that rules tem all"
if your not familiar with darkstone look at
[outdated link] for further information.
Pain is the craft entering into the apprentice.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
You could have a commitee of spectators come on stage and when your back was turned one of them would take the ring. Then as you are trying to determine which one has it 5 ring wraiths descend upon the stage and physically cart off the spectator who has the ring. Screams can be heard backstage and maybe a severed body part or two is flung from backstage. The magician thanks the surviving spectators, puts away his hobbit props and breaks into a rendition of Hippity Hop rabbits.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
I know, I know, it's all humor, but there's a lot of folks ragging on "hippity hop rabbits," and yes, it's a so-called "sucker" trick, and it's everywhere, and everyone's trying for something new and different and scary, and it's an older trick, many people don't like it, it's too "easy," etc., etc., etc. But you know what? Kids love it, it's an established trick, it's popular, it's a good trick to create a story around, it's easily adapted to spring and Easter shows, it works, it's funny, and it's effective.
Walon
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Walon
I think a Palantir effect would be good for a LotR routine.

Effect: An antique wooden box is brought out, and opened to reveal five crystalline spheres. Four spectators are summoned to spirit one sphere each away to be hidden somewhere in the room. After they are securely hidden, the magician gazes into the fifth Palantir and describes the immediate surroundings of each of the four other spheres, finally revealing the precise location of each one.
"Trauma is the Engine of Initiation"

Walon
Purveyor of Fine Used Souls
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
There's a routine in "Who's Afraid of IT" where a borrowed ring moves toards another one, while on a wand held by a spectator. I believe that there is a similar routine in Flourious (or whatever) by Gary Kurtz.

Such a routine would be VERY impressive to an audience member. Another is on one of Dan Harlan's rubber band videos, where the ring travels UP an angle towards a spectator. The ring is on a single strand of a rubber band.

I did this last night at a networking party for Chicago Wedding Pages Magazine and it brought screams!

Ninja Rings done to the Ring poem would probably play well and Ring Flite is a no-brainer.

For the mentalists out there, any pendulum discovery would play up nicely and PK gimmicks could make it REALLY eerie!

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Well the type of effect that hobbits would appreciate would be the production of food—a lot of food, as in a feast. I'm thinking about something like an Organ Pipes routine or bottomless picnic basket. I'm not sure how you could find a bizarre angle on that, though.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I adapted Peter Marucci's "Under the Protection of the Fairies" trick into a LotR trick. You can read about his presentation on BizarreMagick.com. I have a wizard show I am just putting together and my character is a clumsy, forgetful wizard (but I look like Gandalf).

Anyway, I show 20 cards all face up and lay them out. I then show the one ring and recite the poem and explain about how it yearns to reunite with its master. The spectator then says any number between 1-20 and they count to that card and place the ring on it. The backs of the two cards on either side of their card is shown to be normal, but the back of their card has the eye of sauron on it. Its a great effect to show how the power of the ring can corrupt even those who believe they can use it for good.

Just an idea that I thought was neat. Thanks to Peter for planting the seed.
rcad
View Profile
Loyal user
St-Eustache
211 Posts

Profile of rcad
By the way, just in case you didn't know, there is a replica of the "One Ring" from the Peter Jackson movie being sold. I personaly hope to get it for christmas... Anyways, I think this prop would add greatly to a "Lord of the rings" routine or show.

Richard
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." Albert Einstein
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You can buy a ring with engraving that shows up only in reflected fire light?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rcad
View Profile
Loyal user
St-Eustache
211 Posts

Profile of rcad
JonTown,

If you find such a ring, I suggest you don't use it... Hehe! No but seriously, the replica has only permanently engraved markings although I'm sure there must be a way to create such an effect. Maybe you could fill the markings with a fluorescent paint and under a black light, the markings would shine...

Just an idea.

Richard
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." Albert Einstein
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I remember reading on the Café here somewhere (I just can't find it now) about a metal alloy that is gold colored until heated when it turns red. If you filled in carved letters in a regular gold ring with that, you would get the exact "one ring" effect. I seem to remember the fellow who posted it was an engineer and the alloy may be hard to get or expensive, but if you could—man, would that be cool!

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Hobbit type routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL