The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with the Pass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I am currently working on the classic pass. And I was wondering if I could get some feed back from you guys.

I am confined to a wheelchair and I'm having trouble doing the pass. I tend to tilt my hand to about 15 degrees when I do the pass. because I'm in a wheelchair my hands are practically in my lap making it diffcult to execute the pass. All examples I have seen on the pass the performer does it staning up. Can the pass be done sitting down at the table, or in my situation in a chair. If I hold my hands higher than waste level while sitting it looks awkward and it tend to make my shoulders tense up. This kind of gives away the fact that I am doing something with the cards.

My question is do any of you guys do the pass sitting down. If so could you give me some pointers on how I can do this successfully?

Much thanks
edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I do the pass sitting down when I am in a table magic situation. It took some practice to get the angles just right, but it can be done.

Check out Kaufman's On The Pass for some more ideas with the pass.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Ah here was the topic..:
I can simply tell you this..

Fred Robinson (to stay with his example) did the pass for me many times, whilst sitting on a chair or sofa and his hands where almost as low as his lap.

Of course you can do a pass *down* there...it doesn't matter if one stands up or is sitting down, the only restriction would be, if one tries to attempt doing it siting at a normal and high dinnertable, where ones hands where in an awkward position, but this goes for a lot of other sleights as well, like f.ex. the Elsmley count, the hands have to be in a relaxed position for all sleights and keeping them up *high* over a table isn't relaxed, one neither could f.ex. do a colorchange (top/front card of the deck) in a such awkward position..

IF the table is low and the hands are able to be at waist level one can do it..that means a sofatable or what it is called in the US...
So don't wonder when some performers suddenly rise from their sit-down position at a normal table when they do a certain routine..
F.ex. Al Goshman did, when he did his *sun and moon*..so there is a reason to this.
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
dmdk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of dmdk
The successful pass is "Misdirection".
Except you can do the face up pass.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
When you are proficient in the classic pass ,try the riffle pass.This really helps.Also buy Card College vol2 and/or Brad Burt's Pass video,as they give you excellent advice on the misdirection element.
Andre
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I actually do a better pass seated and without a table. When seated at a table it's a bit awkward for me and I tend to stand up for some routines.

No Table:
You might try this.
Get your pinky break.
Raise the deck to about chest level and say something.
As you lower your forearms to your lap, complete the classic pass.
Ramon
View Profile
New user
Mandaluyong City, Philippines
39 Posts

Profile of Ramon
I think doing the pass sitting down is easier than standing up. Anyway, what pass is it? Classic Pass or Hermann Pass?
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
If you have troule with your pass your spenting to much time thinking about it.

First learn another way to get the card to the top. For example an under cut. This will take the heat off. You can use this when the heat is on.

Next , if you want to do a pass JUST DO IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

Don't make a move out of it.
SOHA
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
178 Posts

Profile of SOHA
There are many versions of table passes out there.
In "Expert Card Technique" you can find a couple of good ones.
Also, if you want to do the classic pass, try using the edge of the table as a cover.
paulsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of paulsmagic
EDH: hang in there. there are many different types of passes that accomplish the same objective. I will try to locate a few that might be available to you and easier than the classic pass. personally the classic pass can give me a hard time so I use others depending on the effect. I will try to remember where I got them from. don't get frustrated. keep posting on how you are making out.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Paulsmagic, Thanks I would appreciate any help w/your research. BTW I can control a card to the top w/various other methods. I just want to be able to also do the Classic Pass. I think that by not appearing to do anything w/the cards after a spec returns the chosen card back to the deck really adds to the climax of a card effect(f.ex. ambitious card routine).
paulsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of paulsmagic
Edh, if you can control cards then it is not critical to do the classic pass. anytime I have seen it done, it appears that something happened even though you don't see it. very few people do a clean classic pass. you will have to decide whether it is worth all the time to practice that one move. you may want to learn a double undercut and other passes. sounds like you have the situation under control if you can position the chosen card. encyclopedia of card magic & expert card technique are good sources of magic. good luck

Edh: while practicing the classic pass try the riffle pass and the turnover pass. again, the classic pass may take some time. happy practicing.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Paulsmagic, at this point in my magic it is not critcal to any of my card effects. I can control a selection to the top, bottom of the deck. I also can force a selection. I guess I'll just practice this between other practice sessions.

Thanks for your input.
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
Ramon he was refering to the classic pass. I rather do it standing up as I feel most comfortable doing so. Just keep practising and you'll get there.

By the way, there's girls in this forum too.
paulsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of paulsmagic
Pretty lady 1990, welcome to the forum.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with the Pass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL