The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » First Corporate Gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kcgroves
View Profile
New user
Colorado
15 Posts

Profile of kcgroves
I Just got my first corporate gig. I will be working for a hot tub company at our state fair. I have worked hard on routining my show and finding ways to sell the product as well. Does anyone else have any advice? It would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kyle
In every smile there is always magic!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The fair sounds like the place for that really long cups and balls routine. You know the one that's three VHS tapes long... Smile

No really, the best advice I can give is that, you have been hired to attract a crowd and keep them long enough so they see the product and can pick up product information.
If it was me, (I know you don't want to hear this) I would pack a lunch and hang out there in-between sets and twist balloon animals for the kids. Hang a few up on the booth so they are visable, and keep twisting between sets. If the sponsor is agreeable.

What I'm getting at is, the sponsor will be comparing sales with and without you, your act will not nearly be as important as increasing sales volume. This is a tough gig because unlike a birthday party or show, your magic has to do something, not just amaze.

Maybe some of the other folks here, have some ideas along this line that have been successful for them.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Be very careful not to take any easy joke shots at the client or client's product!

Familiarity breeds contempt and after a while going at promoting the product, I have seen some "promoters" - magicians and others, start to get bored and begin to have fun with/at the Client's expense. Only most times, it isn't funny to the client.

Just a thought!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Kyle, Did you work the gig at the State Fair?

How did it go?

I am curious to find out what you learned.

What a great experience.
Would you do it again and what would you do differently?

Steve Hart
Cape Canaveral, FL USA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
MichaelG.
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of MichaelG.
I have worked a couple of state fairs for various companies here in Maryland.
I have found that a good opener for state fairs is to ask if they've seen the cows (usally you get a affirmitive response). Have you seen the bunnies? At that, I bring out the (3d version) sponge bunnies, which gets a slight chuckle. I then perform the sponge bunnies, meanwhile widening the circle including passerbys by using lines like "did you see that sir?"
It's true nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd. If you can get a few people there its a lot easier to build.
(A side tip is to keep inviting people to move up closer thereby locking in your first 3 to 8 rows. It helps if you stand on a small 24" platform so you can be seen.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » First Corporate Gig (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL