The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Marilyn illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Hi,
A very good friend of mine would like to perform an illusion in which one of the local movie stars vanish from a painting and appears himself in front of the picture frame than vanish and appears back in the painting. He saw Brad Daniels perform this illusion and Pendragons with diferent thema. Could anybody help us to build the painting ? I couldn`t find any book with this illusion plan.
Thanks
Bojan Barisic
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Artist dream is the Illusion you are talking about. Something simliar is the effect The Movie Star Illusion from Owens. http://www.owenmagic.com/Illusions/Illus......s_5.html

Maybe Paul Osborne might have one.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Bill Blagg III
Yes, this is the Artist Dream effect by Jim Steinmeyer (at least the Pendragon's version is). The only authorized builder for Jim's version is John Gaughn. I'm not sure how the other versions are set up but myself, Pendragon's, and Jay Owenhouse all have permission to Steinmeyer's version.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
The Artist's Dream originated with David Devant and has been a classic for many years. Guy Jarrett had a version that literally shot the girl up though a stage trap behind the canvas. There are lots of ways to accomplish this effect, just use your imagination and a little research and you'll come up with something.

Good luck,
Richard
TricksDaniel
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola,FL
248 Posts

Profile of TricksDaniel
If you can become a member of the learned pig project, then it is in there. It's under magical sketches. And, rtgreen is right, it was originated by David Devant in a book about illusions being revealed. Hope this helps.
Owner DC_ILLUSIONS
magicreza
View Profile
Regular user
USA
126 Posts

Profile of magicreza
Brett Daniels owns the exclusive rights to his presentation of that illusion. I wouldn't reccomend trying anything close to it...

Reza
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Yes it is Brett Daniels and not Brad Daniels. Don,
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
Actually I am not so sure Brett Owns the rights to that. I heard that there was a legal dispute between him and owens magic supreme. I am not sure this true but Owens does sell the illusion and it's very similar but the set up and look is different.

tpdmagic
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
I know this is somewhat off topic, but does anyone know what book has the plans/description of Devant's original version of the Artist's Dream effect?

Sincerely...
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
David,

Check out David Devant's "Secrets of my Magic," Chapter VIII--Famous Illusions Revealed.
magicreza
View Profile
Regular user
USA
126 Posts

Profile of magicreza
Yes, I know there was some legal junk...but I'm very sure that it's Brett's.

Reza
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
On 2004-09-30 16:21, Bill Blagg III wrote:
Yes, this is the Artist Dream effect by Jim Steinmeyer (at least the Pendragon's version is). The only authorized builder for Jim's version is John Gaughn. I'm not sure how the other versions are set up but myself, Pendragon's, and Jay Owenhouse all have permission to Steinmeyer's version.

I presume this is not the version in "Device and Illusion" that you are talking about ( page 43 "The Artists DayDream")?
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Bill Blagg III
No, that is the Artist's Daydream...completely different effect.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
What I am looking for is a way to vanish and appear
something from a picture. I don`t know what is the best way to do it ? double flap, roler...
My friend has a way to appear and vanish a person.
From Devant`s book I didn`t understand how top layer of picture was moved to appear and disappear.

"The picture was really two pictures; one was a background only and the other was a painted representation of the lady. There was a practicable swing in between the two canvasses. At the beginning of the scene the picture was on a small easel, and the artist carried it over to the larger easel. In doing so he exhibited the back of it. Attached to the frame was a light curtain. The artist, getting tired of painting, had drawn this curtain over the picture and the lady behind had meanwhile pulled up the background picture which was held by a roller like a blind. As soon as the front was closed, she raised the front picture in the same way and came through to the front and sat upon a swing. She then lowered the background behind her and was all ready to be discovered. When the Spirit of Mercy closed the curtain again the whole process was reversed. When the artist again took the picture down the mysterious woman had disappeared completely."
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
May I suggest going to the secret forum as I believe you are bordering exposure.....

tpdmagic
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
If all he's trying to accomplish is an appearance/vanish from a picture, I don't see how that could possibly infringe on Brett's rights?

If he wanted to make Marilyn Monroe appear from a picture exactly as Brett does, then we'd have problems...

So make sure you don't COPY Brett ok?

Good luck!

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Marilyn illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL