The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Glenn Bishop DVD #1 Tested Card-Works for Card Shark Magicians (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Thanks Paul H. I like the fact that you Tommy and everyone are honest in their reviews. I love card magic and I like card shark moves.

The thing I like about it is that the magician can entertain doing card magic. And not need anything but a deck of cards.

That is the thing that I like most about card magic.

Also being able to do a DVD and have magicians all over the world be able to see, like and do some of my ideas.

Is really a cool thing. Plus use the info on the DVD's to come up with more ideas. Magic has a way of living forever in that way... Being a small part of that is another cool thing.

Here is one of the first surprise reviews that I got from magician and card expert Ron Kaye...

Glenn Bishop's "Tested Card-Works for Card-Shark Magicians" DVD-1.

Glenn Bishop reveals the handling of his top flight card work he has been performing in restaurant and lounge settings for decades. These are audience tested routines that are guaranteed to floor laymen and lurking magicians. For example, he covers the handling of an Ambitious Card routine that ends with the card winding up inside the closed card box. Yes, the card can be signed by a spectator! Yes, the spectator can open the card box herself!

Glenn Bishop is obviously very knowledgeable in the literature of card artifice. What places him leagues ahead of most other card men is that his performing repertoire is not limited by one school of thought, be it New York, Chicago, or the West Coast, but uses the real work of all these schools. Watching this DVD is like having a master class in phenomenal get-the-money moves from Erdnase to Scott's "The Phantom at the Card Table" to Marlo to Vernon.

Here the viewer will find commercial and practical methods for card mechanic effects. Want a poker demonstration for the boys? How about a five-handed stack where the first four hands wind up with at least three of a kind, and you wind up with the four aces? Want to switch a card? How about a handling for Rub A Dub Dub where the selected card is removed from your pocket -- twice! Worried about palming? This will blow them away.

There is so much good material here, and it's easy to learn. Glenn takes you through each move, each subtlety. No, he doesn't bother with a slam-bang presentation that has so much misdirection you could vanish an elephant under the close-up mat. He talks like a real person, without all the bombast. You watch this DVD thinking, 'This guy reminds me of Carmen D'Amico. Or Vernon. Or Garcia. Or Marlo.' In other words, you're watching a magician who is a gentleman, like Bert Allerton.

Finally, it's not often you see block transfers used effectively, if at all these days. If you're not familiar with block transfers, you have to get this DVD. Then you need to go out and beg, borrow, or purloin Marlo's "Riffle Shuffle Trilogy" because one of the many things that keeps the Trilogy 20 years ahead of even our time is the use of block transfers. When was the last time you read a review comparing the card work in a DVD to Marlo's Trilogy? Believe me, block transfers are to Faro shuffles what Faro shuffles are to Hindu shuffles. Anyway, Glenn tips his Cutting to the Aces routine that uses pushthru shuffles and .... block transfers! Enough said.

If you're a real magician you will either get this DVD or eventually drool with envy over the ones who did.

--Ron Kaye, Cardician
March 23, 2004

Thanks again!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
I had wanted to be the first to post about Glenn's dvd, but I have been so insanely busy touring & playing with my other hobby (music) that I haven't had time to do so.

I ordered Glenn's dvd as soon as it was available. Right from the get-go, I realized that this material has been road tested, and obviously was probably the "bread and butter" material of a gentleman who makes his living from magic. I'm not going to get into specifics - Mr Palmer has done that admirably - but I'd like to add my 2 cents by stating that this dvd contains good work that is well explained, well credited and well executed. Glenn's not performing for an audience on this dvd, he's performing for the camera and explaining the work. Favourites? Well, his Ambitious Card routine is entertaining, and comes with an ending that would absolutely stun any spectator. I enjoyed "Another Look at Rub--a-dub-dub", where he's combined some classic handlings to produce a very effective trick.

I should add the following caveat: weeks ago I had posted regarding a 3 shell routine as well as cups and balls, stating that I was interested in learning this but wasn't sure where to start. Glenn has been helpful to me in all regards, and this time was no exception. He had my mailing address, and sent me his printed routine for the shell game, as well as a dvd "Tested Tricks for tableside Tricksters" (i hope I have the tricky title right!), which contains his shell game, cups and balls, and a variety of other material. This has been a great help to me, and I have been working on the cups and balls. It's taking a lot of time to work on this stuff, but Glenn's dvd has been really helpful. Like his card dvd, this one is packed with real world routines, no filler. Glenn did not have to do this for me, but he did, because he's a gentleman who cares about magic and people. Thank you Glenn.

One of my goals in magic is to get down to America and watch Glenn perform someday. I would recommend any of his dvds because they contain real solid grounded work and are well taught, by a guy who's a class act.
tjo'
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Thanks for the kind words old friend - T. Joseph O'Malley... Another look at rob a dub dub and another look at the henery Christ four ace routine are two of the routines I do a lot.

Magicians can see me perform the another look rub a dub dub at my web site. I did it at the Magic Castle and it went over quite well.

On the same Castle footage I do the cups and balls and that is on DVD-2...

The interesting thing about the DVD's is that everyone that has gotten them likes something different about them... We all have different things that we like for different reasons.

Thanks again...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Well this should be the final post on my DVD project. The reason I did the DVD's in the first place was not to make money with them. Yes I sold them at my lectures and off my web page - and the money was good.

But the reason I did the DVD project in the first place was to claim the ideas that I feel are my ideas in the way that I do things.

This is why I put the video of me performing magic at my web site. And also why I sent some people around the world my stuff for free.

My DVD's and my web site have been a way for me to share my magic and ideas with magicians around the world. They were also produced to prove to the magic world that the son of Billy Bishop also paid his performing dues...

I have been very lucky in the way that I have met some of the legends in magic. And although I have been accused of name dropping a little to much - all I can say is - these are people I knew while I was growing up.

When I performed at the magic castle and the magicians that knew Dai Vernon told me stories. I did not think that it was name dropping. Because growing up around the magic castle would get you to meet and hear stories about many greats in magic.

I think at this time the DVD's and shell game book have completed the reason that they were made for...

So as of right now they are now off the market... The only way to get them is to go to my lecture...

As a closing entertainment I am posting a link to a thread on a blog I found most interesting...

In fear of name dropping - Ed Marlo once told me... "They only cut up good guys"...

http://www.magicbunny.co.uk/phpBB2/viewt......n+bishop
Glenn Bishop Cardician

smum
View Profile
New user
bonnie Scotland
42 Posts

Profile of smum
They make some valid points. What in particular do you disagree with?
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hi Smum,

I've read the pages over there at the MagicBunny and found it rather low class and more of a bore than informative what was being discussed about Glen's DVD's. If I remember there was only one person who had viewed them and though he didn't like it, none of the others had. How can one give an honest review? Impossible in my opinion. Most of the posters in my opinion were more like armchair professionals. Like the people who have never played soccer in their lives, and go to the pub to see the games and carry on like their the reincarnated Bobby Charlton or David Beckham's childhood coach. Being born in Scotland and seeing this kind of thing a lot in my life I know I talk from experience.

And no, I don't have the DVD's either. I don't do much card magic. I have never met Glen personally either. I have gotten some very good ideas and advice from him though on some subjects that I was asking about here at the Café. Can't get any better than that.

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
I think a few of the comments were based on watching demo clips on Glenn's site.

Take care, Ian
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Thanks for posting - JoJo and IanKendall... Thanks for the reviews...I thought about having a last two weeks blow out sale and drop the DVD's down in price but I decided not to because that wouldn't be fare to the people that got them at the first price...

What can I say... Some people liked them... One didn't and others did not like me or my over hyped web site...

So life goes on...

I would imagine that they will hit the underground because they have some good things on them.

One thing - Glenn Bishop - Never a dull moment!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2004-11-10 10:33, bishthemagish wrote:
Thanks for posting - JoJo and IanKendall... Thanks for the reviews...I thought about having a last two weeks blow out sale and drop the DVD's down in price but I decided not to because that wouldn't be fare to the people that got them at the first price...

What can I say... Some people liked them... One didn't and others did not like me or my over hyped web site...

So life goes on...

I would imagine that they will hit the underground because they have some good things on them.

One thing - Glenn Bishop - Never a dull moment!

It is hard to say I am back because I never left. - Never a dull moment...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
I'd held off on speaking of this DVD (and Glenn's other DVD) because they were going underground. Thankfully, Glenn has brought them back "above" ground.

And we should be thankful! There was talk on this thread that Glenn is a second-generation magician, and we should study the first-generation magicians first. This is a very nice idea, and we should study the classics -- yet there are no videos of Hermann or Hofsinzer; there are no tutorials (to my knowledge) from Vernon or Slydini - or from the first Bish the Magish.

And now we get into the eternal argument of "which is better - books or video?" For the record, I'm finding a blend of the two works best (see Dan Turcotte's videos with accompanying books, for example). The routines Glenn demonstrates can - in part - be found in print, but Glenn shows us HOW these "tricks" can be turned into magic.

Now, about those parts which aren't found in print --

I have no idea where you'll find a "cut the aces" routine which can impress your audience more than "Glenn Bishop Cull Cuts the Aces." As Bill noted at the start of this thread, a spectator shuffles the cards between ace cuts.

Let me repeat that: a spectator shuffles the cards between ace cuts. If that doesn't make it appear like magic, I don't know what would.

And the DVD goes on - there are demonstrations of sleights which absolutely MUST become a part of my arsenal. That's not counting the routines which aren't just chopped liver -- my personal favorites being Glenn's killer ending for the Ambitious Card, his Aces & Queens Transposition (this one is pure FUN!), and his marvelous and playful version of Rub-a-Dub-Dub.

If you're looking for things of which to complain, then know right now that these aren't of Hollywood production standards. Glenn makes no apology for them being home-made; these are obviously not made for profit motives. Even at his "list" price, he couldn't have been making a penny; at his current sale price, he must be losing money.

Logic demonstrates that Glenn created these purely because of his love for the art, and his determination that some of these methods will not be lost to time.

And to think - I haven't even started writing about his other DVD, which is my favorite of the two!
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Mormonyoyoman,

This is a great post and I support your views 100%. Glenn is a creative and wonderfully skilled performer and the sheer quality of his crafted work on these DVD's speaks for itself.

Regards,

Paul H
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Well said Paul! Well Said!
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Thanks Mormonyoyoman for a great post... I have not had the time to respond until today becaue I have been working on a new web site...

I am moving the magic off the old mr. hypnotist web site including the video theater and scrapbook and the DVD project sale page.

They are now at my new web site below...

We are growing and learning new ideas as we go. Thanks very much for the kind words...

Best ahead...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Hayze
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
83 Posts

Profile of Hayze
This is easily the worst DVD I have ever seen. The ideas aren't bad, but the presentation (both patter and sleights) are absolutely horrible. Every sleight is blatantly obvious and I find it impossible to believe Mr. Bishop has been getting away with this in an actual working enviroment.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hayze, would you care giving examples to support your claims???

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Oh yes... I can see that it is get Glenn Bishop time...

Never a dull moment...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Hayze
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
83 Posts

Profile of Hayze
Saturnin: Sure, and for the record Mr. Bishop, I have nothing against you at all, these DVDs are just terrible and I wanted to provide an honest review.

Let's start with the Ambitious Card:

The break required for the Marlo/Ellis Add-On move is blatantly obvious, even those not familiar with a break would definitely be aware that something is going on.

The add-on move itself is amazingly awkward, poorly performed, and completely unmotivated.

When the card box is loaded, it is also a very unmotivated move.

GEM Poker Deal:

The entire idea behind which cards the other players would keep is confusing, unlike in Vernon's routine where the other player's choices are so obvious that you can freely let the spectators choose which cards to throw back. Also, the milk build shuffle is performed at a very strange pace, lightning fast at the start, slowing to a halt near the end.

Glenn Bishop Cuts the Aces:
The push-through like deal used is absolutely laughable and totally obvious. The riffle shuffling is performed almost in slow motion, with the left hand cards being riffled off and the right hand cards held back for extended periods of time. I've seen Marlo do this and granted, it was obvious even in his hands, but it didn't have a huge flashing neon sign on it.

I have to go to work, so I'm just going to stop there for now, but I can continue later if needed. I honestly feel that even the low, low price of $5 was way to much.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
And the hits just keep on commmmming...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
Glenn,

Sooner or later you are going to have to face up to the fact that some people did not like your DVDs. Constantly replying to every negative comment with 'everyone hates me' quotes is not flattering and make you look as if you have a persecution complex.

To quote Luis de Matos; 'The way to get over the bad reviews is not to get too excited by the good ones'.

As someone said in another thread, perhaps it's time to let this one go.

Without malice,

Take care, Ian
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Quote:
On 2004-11-29 09:09, bishthemagish wrote:
And the hits just keep on commmmming...

Seriously, what's wrong with you? The guy justified his reasons for not liking your DVD, and opted to continue later, when time permitted, to analyse the DVD further if need be. How on earth is he bashing your DVD?

If you consider every justified negative comment to be "bashing" you and deliberately putting you down, then surely every justified positive comment is merely an a*s licking one, no?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Glenn Bishop DVD #1 Tested Card-Works for Card Shark Magicians (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL