The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Scary mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Anyone have any favorite scary mentalism effects? This month would seem to be a most opportune time to perform them . . .
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
447 Posts

Profile of Rick
I love doing Stigmata with playing cards...Don't know if it is scary, but it sure freaks the h**l out of people.
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Richard Webster has a wonderful routine that deals with witches and a dunking tank. The names of witches are written on paper, the dunking tank is a glass of water. The chosen witch disappears from the tank that all others drowned in (all wet and soggy as they are brought out) This appeared in close-up mentalism, its a great tape from Brian Flora! Some real Gems in there!

Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
All mentalism is pretty scary Smile
J0ma
View Profile
New user
Finland
59 Posts

Profile of J0ma
I think Derren Brown is scary... Especially the Russian Roulette.
Magic Is Life
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
We have some very chilling effects being done in the Haunted Chester show, some superb thinking from Caleb Strange that has had me getting spooked late at night as I have read it through. It is going to be fun scaring the poo out of people Smile

I think a dark twist can be added to many things that are already out there, it just needs a blast of presentation and a reasonably spooky story / presentation.

As Halloween approaches I shall have fun devising and adding creepiness to standard effects, I may even break a habit and post some of them here Smile
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2004-10-02 19:38, salsa_dancer wrote:
As halloween approaches I shall have fun devising and adding creepiness to standard effects, I may even break a habit and post some of them here Smile

Sounds simply sensational, Salsa.
I for one would love to read about the effects even if I can't attend the show in person!
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
For many years, Larry Becker did a Russian Roulette routine with three pistols, two of which were loaded. The routine was so intense and dangerous, that audiences found it quite disturbing. (He performed it in conjunction with his lecture on prostate cancer.)

He stopped doing it a few years ago and has donated the guns to a magic museum, I understand.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Bill,
I saw Larry do that live and Larry had everyone on the edge of their seats! Awesome routine! You really feel the possiblity of something going very wrong!
Larry is Dynamic!

Magickman

PS. Makes me think of Anneman and the bullet catch!
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2004-10-03 17:19, Bill Fienning wrote:

For many years, Larry Becker did a Russian Roulette routine with three pistols, two of which were loaded. The routine was so intense and dangerous, that audiences found it quite disturbing . . .
He stopped doing it a few years ago and has donated the guns to a magic museum, I understand.

I believe he performed his RR (performance only) on his "Standing Ovation" video. Although the gun was admittedly unloaded, he pointed out that even without bullets in it the air forced out of the gun upon firing alone was enough to do serious damage, if not kill.
When I saw that Becker DVD I was reminded of Bruce Lee's actor son Brandon who, in what was supposedly a freak accident, was killed several years ago when an unloaded gun was fired by his head.

Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Yes, the Brandon Lee thing was crazy. I hear several people were sued over it. How unsafe! All "entertainment" use of dangerous devices should have a weapons master and he/she should be held accountable for said props and maintenance, imho.
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
A note of clarification regarding Larry Becker's Russian Roulette routine: Two of the three pistols are loaded with "long" blanks. These are cartridges that have a wadding to hold the charge in place instead of the usual bullet. The wadding exits the barrel and travels several feet with such force as to be deadly. This was the case with Brandon Lee.

22 caliber "short" blanks (sometimes called "crimps") do not have this wadding. They are little dome-shaped charges that are crimped on one end. These are much safer, although some material could exit through the barrel if they are used in a regular pistol. "Starter Pistols" have a sealed barrel so that any discharge is deflected to the side.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
To my knowledge, the guns that killed brandon lee were never cleaned properly after last use. The fowling of nitrogen and possible metal fragments is what killed him. The force necessary to send these fragments into him was delivered from the wadding.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
There is an account of this incident here.

Yours,

Paul
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Ironically, the thing which I was most struck by regarding Larry Becker's Russian Roulette routine on his "Standing Ovation" DVD was not something Mr. Becker said or did.
Instead, it was when, right after the routine ended, the firearms expert that Mr. Becker had brought with him to prepare the pistols made a comment indicating how nervous HE HIMSELF was up until the moment when Mr. Becker concluded the routine unhurt! My impression was that the fellow was being sincere in saying that (otherwise he's a wonderful actor!)
That comment by the firearms expert emphasized to me how dangerous the routine really was.

Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I think lots of mentalism, depending on how it's performed, can be spooky. Without even trying, I sometimes hear that what I've done is scary.

Anabelle
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
True, Anabelle.
Most people, I think, take some degree of comfort in the idea that their thoughts are absolutely private. We can think, fantasize, cuss people out, or whatever, and none of it will ever be known by anyone else unless we *choose* to share.
Then along comes someone who displays an ability to read those private thoughts at will. That is extremely scary!
"If she can read my thoughts, who else might be able to?!"
Hexagon
View Profile
Regular user
London
198 Posts

Profile of Hexagon
Turning someone's perception of reality upside down for a single moment-
now that's scary.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Scary mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL