The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Worlds greatest magic : girl does something like DC flying (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Hi,

I was watching WGM, the episode with Alan Thicke as presenter and there was this act where this girl levitated and basically flew - the thing that caught my eye was the the motions and the smoothness of movement was nearly identical to DC's flying.

the backgrounds where even slightly similar (blue and shiny)

in the end of the act the girl morphed into a tiger.

If the mechanisms are the same or achieve the same effect..how come DC didn't sue this guy?
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
152 Posts

Profile of allan31
Hi,

I guess it was Rick Thomas...Great guy and wonderfull show in Vegas!!!

best regards
allan
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Franz Harary does an effect where he levatates all of his assitants. Pretty cool.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Anyone can own the flying for around $65k.

Any questions?

Contact John Gaughan, it's HIS effect!
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
DC won that lawsuit in France(?) b/c that guy had stolen DC's routine, not the method or the effect. Maybe the guy had even bought the appartus from Gaughan legit, but apparently DC's routine was copied beat for beat.

Will
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The flying used in this routine was not the same. It has me intrigued because it was so smooth and beautiful.
Dennis Michael
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Maybe that's why Copperfield Sued. because of Jealousy that someone performed the same trick but did it better then he did. Don,
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1348 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Well. Yes AND no. Ther guy was performing the illusion EXACTLY as David did. Same music same props same costumes. And everything.
So. .... Yeah...
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
225 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Hello Ryan,

I know this point is not really relevant to he discussion but Yves Bartha (the French guy) did not use the same music than David. He used a piece by Michael Jackson.

Regards,

D
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
Quote:
On 2004-10-03 02:27, David Goldrake wrote:
He used a piece by Michael Jackson.

Someone should sue him for THAT.

Just kidding. (Unless the song was "Man in the Mirror", in which case, I'm not kidding.)

Thriller rocks,
Will
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Well ok if you look at the photos of both performance you will see it is an identical look of DC performance. He used the plexiglass box, he used the spinning hoops, walked up side down in the box and so on, same exact layout. Who cares what music he used. He used the SAME routine here. Check out your magic Magiazine. I can't remember which one it was but there was a good article in it. Everything may have been legit but he had no right to use EVER move DC did. That is pretty much uncreative and stealing in my eyes. HE could of got the same rigging or what not that DC has legally and took it a next step further and make it better or what not.

Michael
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
He should've gotten sued for being stupid enough to do the flying routine exactly as DC performed it...

Heck, he should've done better... Improved on it... But he just showed the world how unoriginal he was...

Peter Marvey is flying above the audience now if I'm not mistaken... That's original... Dangerous, but original...

That's what I think anyway...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
It's all bogus untill the entire Audience Flies around the auditorium!

Of course than the DEA would be involved.

sorry.
Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Yeah good luck pulling that off. LOL

Michael
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
Personally I think Rick Thomas' handling looks absolutely great, he maintains the apparant connection between him and his assistant on a consistant level, he looks completely in magical control of the illusion. Its great stage magic. Big thumbs up.

I don't understand why people try to copy David Copperfield because they always fall flat and eventually lose respect from their audience and of course magicians in the long term...be original.
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
[quote]On 2004-10-03 18:26, Xmosis wrote:
It's all bogus untill the entire Audience Flies around the auditorium!

Of course than the DEA would be involved.

Xmosis,
You do realize that the Grateful Dead performed such a feat for years... until Garcia Died?
POOF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Worlds greatest magic : girl does something like DC flying (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL