The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » DC Vanishing Legs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Was this illusion visual at all. Did they bring up a cloth and then lower it and his upper half was floating in air on the beach. or did he use a box type thing. There was a thread on this before but it was vague. Sounds really cool

here is the thread http://www.themagiccafe.com/archive1/vie......7&26

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
I'm not too certain about David's version but you may want to look into Andre Kole's NO FEET effect. I believe Bill Smith was putting it out some 20 years ago. Similar bit of business, loads of fun when handled right.
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
He did it with either a beach towel or a jacket. I don't have that one on tape, but I'm sure somebody here can say for sure.

-Will

Oh, and he held up the cover in front of himself - no assistants.
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
226 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
He used a towel.
He lowered it in front of his feet, then he did the old gag by first lifting one, then the other foot (with the towel, of course). Eventually when he lifted the towel a third time both feet had disappeared.

Regards,

D
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Anyone know if this effect is still available. Regards Don,
Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
Just plant an inverted L.............the rest is video editing............you know DC.....
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I don't think that Copperfield used editing.

I know from reading "Magic on TV" by Gary Oulette, that they did use camera angles / framing to capture the right things. This is like what Peter Loughran said on the other thread about "advantage of the camera". Remember, Gary was the consultant for several of David's TV specials.

I've got all of David's specials on video (and no, I'm not willing to share Smile ), and I think that his on the beach NO FEET may work like Andre's (I have Andre Kole doing his stage version on one of Andre's videos). I'd have to watch again to be sure.

I think that attack on David about video editing is uncalled for.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
Yeah, no video edits. They just took advantage of the angles, which I don't count as a camera trick. It's more like how certain close up tricks are too angly for more than one person at a time. It's the same here, except the camera is the one person he's doing it for.

Somebody pointed out on the other thread how they also took advantage of the natural properties of sand for that shot, which I think is a great point. Location is everything, right? They sort of combined Kole's "No Feet" w/ all those Super-X pics taken on the beach. Smile

Will
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
SOme really cool point here. Thanks guys. That is very cool that he used a towel. Now did he raise it up to his waste or do the normal No feet thing just high enough to show no feet??

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
I have seen of a new version of this when I was at Mendoza's shop a few years back. He had just built it for David Copperfield and I was fortunate enough to have a look at the build shots. It uses two audience members and no assistants.
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » DC Vanishing Legs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL