The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Power from the devil, sigh... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
Quote:
On 2002-08-24 03:51, Alan Munro wrote:
I once had a restaurant gig where people from a church kept calling the management, protesting my performances, saying that the performances were satanic.

On 2002-08-24 08:03, Andy Leviss wrote:
Alan, I kept telling you, they were only saying that because you refused to not do the "Twenty-One Card Trick" at every table! Smile

That, and performing in a location uncomfortably close to Calvin College and Zondervan's
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I did hear of a person who actually had an exorcism performed on his automobile. Sad to say, two weeks later it was repossessed.

Sorry,

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Smile Sad to say Alan those BAC types have and do cost people their jobs... I lost two great positions last year because of 3 individuals of the BAC variety who not only complained at the Salon I worked at once a month doing Readings, but the store I worked at as well -- threatening pickets, etc. When working in Nashville some local Radio Preaher got on his high horse over the whole Psi issue. The end result was near over-night loss of business for just about every Reader in the region... I had one lady that showed up one night shortly after this preacher's first broadcast, terrified someone might recognize her... she was a school teacher and if she was seen getting a Tarot Reading, she could have lost her job.

So much for the open mindedness certain cults proclaim and can't seem to practice...
Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
Quote:
On 2002-08-24 11:55, Darmoe wrote:
When working in Nashville some local Radio Preaher got on his high horse over the whole Psi issue. The end result was near over-night loss of business for just about every Reader in the region... . Smile

Being blacklisted for being the real thing? That's gotta play well for the campus crowd. Nashville sounds like the ultimate hype machine for folks wanting to pad their resumes with freaked-out testimonials from the Reagan Democrats.

This is the kind of weirdness that kids love. Sounds dismal for performers who can't leave the area...but sounds like a great $$$opportunity$$$ for folks looking to get some free publicity.

Unless you're G G Allin, this kind of fanaticism usually generates positive interest in performers.

The added benefit being that once the hype dies down, you can "repent" and make a killing on the fundie lecture circuit denouncing your evil ways and exposing sponge balls as the tools of Satan.
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
I can understand how the superstitious and gullible would believe that we accomplish our effects by supernatural or even demonic means. What I can't understand is why they'd believe we'd sell our souls in order to do silly tricks that let us work for relative pittances.

Maybe we should explain in terms they may understand: "Look, if I were to sell my soul to the devil, it would be for great fame and fortune. To do this minor stuff, I just rent it to him for a couple hours a week."
knave
View Profile
New user
UK Newcastle
72 Posts

Profile of knave
The following clipping from fro Sunday Times, 31 March 2002 (UK), Appeared in this months Fortean Times.

A SAINT OF MAGIC:The Pope is planning to name Saint Don Bosco, a 19th century Italian Priest with a passion for magic, as patron saint of conjurors, magicians and wizards. The idea was suggested by Father Silvio Mantelli, a bespectacled priest and magician who uses the stage name Mago Sales and he is a big Harry Potter fan. He likes to celebrate mass wearing a clowns red plastic nose.

So it sounds as if we are going to an official seal of approval, from one denomination at least. I wonder if you can get a certificate?

Dave
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-08-24 13:56, McCritical wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-08-24 11:55, Darmoe wrote:
When working in Nashville some local Radio Preaher got on his high horse over the whole Psi issue. The end result was near over-night loss of business for just about every Reader in the region... . Smile

Being blacklisted for being the real thing? That's gotta play well for the campus crowd. Nashville sounds like the ultimate hype machine for folks wanting to pad their resumes with freaked-out testimonials from the Reagan Democrats.

This is the kind of weirdness that kids love. Sounds dismal for performers who can't leave the area...but sounds like a great $$$opportunity$$$ for folks looking to get some free publicity.

Unless you're G G Allin, this kind of fanaticism usually generates positive interest in performers.

The added benefit being that once the hype dies down, you can "repent" and make a killing on the fundie lecture circuit denouncing your evil ways and exposing sponge balls as the tools of Satan.

Firstly... anyone that knows who and what GGAlan is, would probably get shot for even attempting to do anything in Baptist Central (a.k.a. Nashville, Memphis & Atlanta)... Smile Talk about your sick puppies... Smile

Truthfully, I've encountered more bigotry and Facists wearing Republican clothing in the Ohio Valley and Indiana than I did the "Bible Belt"... nonetheless, you must remember that the KKK is still very much alive in the south and WILL tar & feather you or burn your house down in the name of the Lard... (and color dosen't matter in such cases.)

I'm not kidding, this really isn't something to be taunted. Some of these people can and do take things waaaaaay further than most of us could imagine possible.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
We should all just be thankful that those kind of people are not in power anymore. There were times when you could be killed just for disagreeing with the Church. Thank God, times have changed. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Power from the devil, sigh... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL