The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Quentin Reynolds' Pocket Handkerchief...use it? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hi there everyone,

There's been some super good threads lately. I've been enjoying reading and learning from them all.
I bought this tape a few months ago, and was wondering if any of you use it and how does it go for you? I've showed the performance of the routine to a few visiting friends and they all think it's great.

If you use it, please share your experiences.

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I am sure that mrlucky will have a comment to make. He said on another thread that he plans to use it in his Christmas show this year.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Classy Classic Conjure
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Classy Classic Conjure
This routine totally rocks! I've been doing it in 100% of my shows and it kicks! I've added a couple of my own original touches to it that bring it into the miracle class, but even so, it rocks even if you perform it like the guy on the DVD. I don't do the part with the cranking shaft - don't like it.

Recommended 100% total pro!

Keep it kickin'!

Joey
NASCAR plus "IN YOUR FACE" Magic = Nirvana!
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

I'm quite suprised that there is so little response to the Pocket Hanky trick here. I had some people really promote it to me before I bought it.

Anyone got any comments at all about it? Good or bad, or if you think it's a super routine for kids or not?

JoJo

ps. Hope I'm not starting to sound desperate.
taneous
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of taneous
I haven't started using the whole rouitine yet. I have been doing the mouse and that's one of the reasons I got Quentin Reynolds' dvd - to get some more ideas. Just the mouse on it's own has got really good reactions from kids - so I know that the routine is going to be a great success.
espalding
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
59 Posts

Profile of espalding
This may be a silly question, but I have the video and he mentions that particular kinds of hankerchiefs work best. (I think he said 18", but it's been a while since I've watched it.)

Are these any problem to find, or do "normal" sized hankerchiefs work as well? I haven't had the time to learn the act, but I've been a little reluctant to dive into it since I wasn't sure I knew the right material to use.

Thanks,

Eric.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Just go to Sears (or another department store) and get a pack of large mens handkerchiefs. You want the large ones because it makes it easier to make the mouse; the smaller ones are about 15" and there just isn't quite enough fabric in them.

Also, the bigger handkerchief will show up better.

Jeff
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Has anyone really found the "winder" thing and put it to use?
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Yes, get a regular watch winder from a magic shop. It's a great moment...you've clearly goofed around with a handkerchief, then folded it up. You take out the "invisible key" and when you turn it, it makes noise!

Really makes the kids sit up, in a good way.

Jeff
taneous
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of taneous
I bought a watch winder from Hank Lee's: http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/pr......p;page=1
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

One big problem I've had here is that no one uses handkerchiefs at all. Some asians think it's strange to carry ones snot around all day in their pockets. I'm about to try and go to the cloth store and try to find suitable material and have a seamstress make up the hanky for me. Has anyone ever used a bigger size than Quentin suggested? Say 20 or 22 inches?
On the winder, is it possible to just pretend to be using a winder and just make the noise with your mouth? Some theatricals maybe?

JoJo
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Hello JoJo,

You have to be careful to use the right weight of material. I've always used cotton handkerchiefs. A napkin, as found in restaurants is too heavy and it's too difficult to make the mouse's ears. Make sure you get a very narrow hem. Too thick a hem will ensure making the ears is difficult. Have a few in different sizes made up and see which works best. Then have a dozen made in the right size.

While the people of Taiwan may not use handkerchiefs, I'm sure they are familiar with what they are. You can always call it a duster for dusting your props. Very few people in Europe and the US carry pocket handkerchiefs with them anyway.

Occasionally I've used a clicking sound, made with mouth and tongue if I don't have the watchwinder with me. I prefer the watchwinder.

Add in any bits or ideas you like to the routine. The structure of the routine as I've always presented it is:

Funny bits with a handkerchief.

The hanky turns into different objects eventually becoming a mouse.

The mouse becomes alive, gets out of control and goes back to nothingness.

My routine with The Axtell Drawing Board followed the same structure:

Funny visual bits and gags drawn on the board.

The drawings evolve into different pictures eventually becoming a face.

The face becomes alive, gets out of control and goes back to nothingness.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Jeff.....and Quentin for the cameo appearence:)
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
JoJo, I have used a bandana & that works okay. A handkerchief does look better because my bandana has a pattern printed on it.

I can't find a suitable handkerchief in any of the stores here in New Zealand. They are not easy to find. When I was in Bangkok earlier this year I found some perfect handkerchiefs at the MBK centre. I got 3 of them but regret not buying more.

Perhaps some kind person that has access to good hanks will offer to sell us some.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Quentin, one question about the watch winder you have...it's different than the one we have in the States. It seems to be louder and "heavier" sounding. Where did you get it?

Jeff

This is an example of one website with a selection of white handkerchiefs.

http://www.giftwagon.com/hanandban.html

Jeff
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
A good gag with the winder is to put your hand on a table, get a kid to put their hand on top to hiold it down, and using the wionder pretend to wind your thumb up like it's clockwork. When your ready get them to lift their hand quickly and make yours flap from side to side like a toy.

It makes me laugh
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Thanks for that link Jeff.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
This is a great routine, and my Christmas show this year will I use it as my opener.
When this thing goes in the crowd, it plays just as in the video. This is just great magic.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
The watchwinders I use are made by Tom Owen of Blackpool. They give a great click. I will find out if he has a didtributor in the US.
Phred
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Phred
I use the routine (less the knots phase) in almost every show I do. I have a storyline patter that I use with the effect. It is one of my sons' favourite bits and all the children who have seen me do it, always ask to see "Rory" (the name of the mouse).

I carry a handkerchief with me all the time so I am always ready.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Quentin Reynolds' Pocket Handkerchief...use it? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL