The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Just In Case by Pete Biro & Joe Porper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
378 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
Just ordered mine. I'm looking forward to it. I used to use Ring Flight as a closer to my ring and string routine. I wonder how I'll be able to adapt this into a full ring and string routine. Already got the ring... and the string... Hmmm... more later.

Eric Falconer
Houston TX
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
378 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
BTW I'd like to publicly Thank Pete Biro for his time and for the excellent customer service!
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I don't know Joe Porper and my only contact with Pete has been here on the Café where I seem to agree with everything he has to say. I have been a big fan of ring flight and have multiple versions including, Rinkey Dinkey (terrible); Serendipity (ring to zippo. Nice but takes up too much space in pocket); Bloom's Flying Ring (nice idea, unworkable with the crappy props supplied); Flight 204 (not workable. Ring is in danger) and a few others. I was in the market for the Morelli Ring from Collectors which I dearly love but it is no longer made. So I picked up Pete's Just in Case. I've practiced it and performed it a few times (given my experience with Flying Ring, the learning curve was pretty short). Here are my initial thoughts:

Goods:
-The props are much better quality than Blooms Flying Ring. The case is leather and smaller in size for easy transport. Most importantly for me, the clip used is a lobster claw variety and it is big which I like. The lobster claw design prevents scratching which was a big issue with Rinkey and Bloom's version. The size allows for easy loading of even the biggest rings. I practiced with my Notre Dame class ring and it worked great.

-The key provided by Porper is great. Better than the Mercedes Benz key and most certainly more durable. It's design makes it easy to load onto the string and it's locking design eliminates worry with the key once it is on the string.

-The trick itself is fairly easy to perform.

-The display at the end is very pretty and the "gimmick" design allows for very easy displays at the end.

-The case itself is not gimmicked in that there are no trap doors/flaps etc. so it can be shown all around.

Bads:
-Because this version eliminates Bloom's use of the TT, the load itself is not as clean (although at the end, there is nothing left in the case unlike Bloom's version.) This is the part that will take the most work. While the routine can be done without doing Mike Close's Ring Fright, I think doing Ring Fright adds greatly to the ease of the routine from beginning to end. The load is not difficult but depending on the version you wish to perform, it will require more cover than Bloom's version. I wear a suit and especially like the idea by R. Paul Wilson provided in the instructions.

-The instructions are well laid out and include color photos, but I felt they were a bit sparse in sections. The opening/locking of the key is not explained although it is fairly easy to figure out looking at the picture. It just seemed to me that the instructions could have flowed more smoothly, but this is not a big deal and will not affect your ability to perform the trick.

- While the key is very nice, I feel that I should mention that I would not allow it to be inspected. Visually, yes. Handled by the spectator, no. The key is well gimmicked but close visual inspection will raise some suspicion. Is this a big deal? No. The key is only seen once it's threaded on the string and this surprise appearance takes heat off the key and puts the focus on "hey, where's my ring." Bottom line, looking at it threaded on the string, you are fine. I just wouldn't let the spectators look closely at it or handle it.

Bottom line, the trick works as promised which in magic, is a very rare occurrance. If you've always wanted to perform Ring Fright, this is the package to get. The lack of a reel means the ring is safe which is always my biggest concern as a lawyer. Pay special attention to Pete's handling at the end where the key is seen in the case before the routine starts. This is my preferred handling and does not add much difficulty to the handling.

The trick resets almost instantly and is very easy to carry around. Depending on the version you wish to perform (ie case on table vs. case in pocket) the load move may take a little practice but what great routine doesn't take practice. It's worth it. Believe me. The end display is pretty.

I like the routine a lot and will definately get my money's worth out of it. This now ranks with the Morelli Ring as my two favorite ring flights.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Many thanks for your kind words. It is a real treat to have people like what you create.

I find myself split on the way to end it, the traditional or the Dean Dill handling. The Dill is easier but requires good timing, not chops really.

Seabrooke's idea using boxer shorts instead of a silk should make it play bigger for parlour type situations... he loves it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you just want to do ring flight without the Close routine... think about the way I describe "hooking up" using the jeweler's loupe (great misdirection) -- and the Finn Jon idea using a piece of flash paper.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Well....I appreciate emyers review and I now have a lead for a local attorney if I need one.

I have decided to torture myself and wait another couple of hours before ripping into my package that was just delivered with my brand spanking new Just In Case. There is virtually nothing that can distract me away from an Ohio State football game, which includes my wife hanging on and giving birth after the Michigan game last year to accomodate me.

Will be back after the game with my thoughts.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
While I usually am not big on demo videos, I think a quick demo of the Dill handling would be beneficial. I see the idea but timing is tough without being able to see it done by someone who has mastered it.

As for the OSU game, my fiancee has been yelling at me for two hours. "Stop playing with that ring thingy and come watch the game." Luckily, my team (ND) already won so now I can play a little.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Go BLUE!!!
Notre Dame was a fluke...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dodger's were great tonight... LIMA RULES. Didn't even need Gagne!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Fluke? I think not my friend. (unless you were talking about Blue's win over Minnesota today).

Back on topic, Pete, I did like your idea about using the jewler's loop if you opted to not go with the Fright routine.

Something I have also been playing with. I use Just in Case to end my Ring Leader routine. I liked Pete's idea about showing the key in the case before the trick started so I came up with a logical way of doing it that way without directly mentioning the key.

I store my velvet chord for the Ring Leader routine in the case with the key. So when I dump out the string, the key naturally comes out too. This draws everyone's attention to the chord and key and when I push the key back into the case, people see it but think nothing of it..until the end that is.

Seems to work well.
jackleu
View Profile
New user
hongkong
22 Posts

Profile of jackleu
I recieved just in case yestarday. I tried it once for a friend today and he likes it.

I think the props and ideas are very good.
but the handling is not that easy.
that is not as clean as I thought before getting it.
but the idea that you can even give the case to the spectator at the beginning before you ask for the ring is fantastic.
the booklet is well printed but I think that would be better if more detail about the rountine can be taught.

I remember long time ago I brought my 20th century silk. the instruction said: vanish the silk with any method you like, then ......
I was so fustrated as a beginner at that time.

for just in case,
I myself have difficulty(i'm still a beginner) to perform it just with sleight of hands.(some method was advised but I have no idea what they are, I only know a simple pass, but it may seems a bit "low" for such an expensive trick -_-!)
I use it with my PH finally.

my rountine is:
show an empty case with nothing on the hook.
give the spectator the case then
ask for a ring, take the ring and
vanish the ring, show empty hands
take the case back, hold it upside down and the ring is hooked in the case.

I didn't use the key.......i am not sure is it culture difference of what, everytime I show some magic, people must ask to exam the prop using an microscope(if they have).
the key is well made, but I am sorry to know that it is not examinable.
also, I am a bit unhappy(with this price) that there is no ungimmick key come together. (the booklet told me I can order it seperately, but I wont make another order + worldwide shipping just for a normal key)(why not say it before I order it? or just charge us more for the additional ungimmicked key.)

overall, it is 4/5*

happy purchase
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
It doesn't get any easier than this. 5 out of 5 stars here.

-T
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I can see where jackleu is coming from. I would have to disagree with tdowell about being super easy. For a beginner, this will take some work and a little guts. The key is that you should not do this as a stand alone piece in my opinion. You need time misdirection which will make this much easier to perform. I do it as part of my Ring Leader routine so all heat is off the case until the end and the spectators expect nothing so the load it undetected and more importantly, not the focus of attention.

I do also agree that for the price, the directions could have been better. As for an extra key, you can get them in any hardware store for under $1.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase although I can see that for some it won't be as easy to perform as you initially thought. All in all, however, this is most definately not a knuckle buster. Just need to spend a few hours practicing in front of the mirror. It definately is a professional routine.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I should clarify that if you choose to have the case in your pocket, the load is very easy and there is nothing to worry about. I made the mistake of assuming that everyone will perform the trick with the case on the table from beginning to end (which is certainly not necessary by the way). That is the only situation where some practice will be required.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A FEW HOURS? Yikes, I have had mine (a prototype) for about a month and work on it almost every day, but I still don't think my presenttion is quite ready for a paid gig... it takes a loooooooooooooong time to develop the timing the moments and the presentation.

The instructions SUGGEST (strongly) to get Mike Close's Workers 5 and his DVD #4 to STUDY to learn the routine he devised, which, IMHO is a NO SKILL angleproof, easy as pie routine.

Don't rush ANY NEW TRICKS into your shows. Learn all the ways to do it and THINK of your own presentation.

I have gotten dozens of emails with bits and ideas from several magicians.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jackleu -- if you have a problem with sleight of hand (use under the handkerchief as described) OR (the old duplicate ring in corner of handkerchief where you do work under it and spectator is "holding" the ring thru the handkerchief).

OR

Gaetan, in his routine does the clip UNDER THE TABLE. Ted Lesley does a bit where he starts to walk away and has his back turned... you need presentational excuses to cover the work if you have trouble with it.

Try the Finn Jon idea as shown.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Agreed that a few hours is not long enough for any trick. I've been doing Ring Fright and the Bloom version (with my own method) for years so there was really not much new to learn. I personally liked the R. Paul Wilson idea and since I always perform in suits, it was a no brainer handling for me. I personally don't think I will ever do the load with the case on the table.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I always say do the way that fits your style, wardrobe, audience, whatever... Smile
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
I received mine several days ago and I like it! The props are top quality and should last a very long time. I work part time at a lumber supply and hardware store and let the key expert examine the key. He looked at it and didn't see anything.

I'm happy that I purchased the product.

Dan
magicday
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of magicday
Dan,

I don't think it can last a very long time. I just practice it for a week . The key's gimmick already become very loose and cannot locked well !!!!

Anyone have experience same problem please post a review.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Just In Case by Pete Biro & Joe Porper (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL