The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Fickle Nickel? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
http://magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=3769

This is pretty cool looking. Does anyone know where I could find it?
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22773 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fickle Nickle is the invention of John Cornelius. Doug Henning (I think, although Copperfield could have used it, can't remember) opened one of his television specials with it many many years ago. It is not a surrounded type of trick and requires set up, before showing.

Contact John Cornelius to see if he still is selling. I am sure it may still be available. It was only $10 way back when.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "Contact John Cornelius to see if he still is selling. I am sure it may still be available. It was only $10 way back when."

It still is, $10 I mean, or maybe $10.50, but no more expensive than that. It's a neat trick.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
It was indeed a Doug Henning special. This is a trick that even if you never perform it for anyone, it is fun to stand in front of a mirror and do it over and over. Even knowing the secret it fools the heck out of you.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Thanx everyone. QUESTION: The video I saw had the magi holding the nickel with his middle two fingers. Can this be done with the hand completely open and the palm parallel to the ground?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It's quite angly. For a TV special, it's great. For everyday workers, why bother?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22773 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This ment to be presented with the nickel on the palm showing to the audience. It is not a trick you will show inches from your spectators. It is something you show backed away from them or across a table.

It does require set up and is more of a demonstration trick then a trick you can do under the noses of people.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It takes a knack. Move your arm here, your hand this way. There are so many better ways to do a coin effect than with this nonsense.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I think it's a good looking effect. Yes, it is angley, but how many close-up one handed coin vanishes are not?

It's good for a "flash" effect... a quick little something to garner attention and blow a few minds. However, there are, as Chris pointed out, many ways of accomplishing the same goal. It becomes a matter of personal preference and taste.

Hey... at least it's done at chest or shoulder level and looks natural instead of looking completely unnatural and done at waist level, a few inches from the left front pants pocket Smile

Best,

Mike

dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Fickel Nickle can be learned in the video called
Classic Renditions volume 2 starring Michael Ammar. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Re: Classic Renditions volume 2 starring Michael Ammar.

The trick belongs to John Cornelius.

Citing anyone else is less than respectful.

Does Michael let folks know it's Cornelius's trick? Does he tell folks that John can also do the thing by sleight of hand?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Jordini, I have one to sell or trade. PM me if your interested.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "Does Michael let folks know it's Cornelius's trick? Does he tell folks that John can also do the thing by sleight of hand?"

I don't know the answer to that, however, I respond because... well I guess because I like to throw in my two cents on a regular basis Smile I don't own any Ammar materials, video, DVD, or books, and it's specifically for the following, related reason; the first time I ever saw M. Ammar on VHS tape he did a coin routine... I completely forget what routine or on which tape it was... anyway, he did the routine and did not credit the creator in any way, either verbally or in the credits of video. At least I could not find the credit, so if it was there it wasn't obvious or easy to find. At that moment I realized that there probably wasn't anything that I could learn from an Ammar product that I couldn't find elsewhere, potentially by the original creator and probably cheaper than Ammar's offering.

I have nothing against M. Ammar, I enjoy his presence on my Doc Eason tapes (playing a quiet observer to Doc's masterful presentations Smile). Everyone does things in their own way, and his ways don't mix with my ways. I suppose that's the best way to explain it.

Best,

Mike

Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
Quote:
On 2004-10-05 07:39, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Does Michael let folks know it's Cornelius's trick? Does he tell folks that John can also do the thing by sleight of hand?

John Cornelius himself appears on the tape with Mr. Ammar and teaches the trick.

I would think you can cite the tape as a source to learn the trick without any disrespect.

Bob
Eschew obfuscation
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-10-05 11:39, Mike Wild wrote:
I have nothing against M. Ammar, I enjoy his presence on my Doc Eason tapes (playing a quiet observer to Doc's masterful presentations Smile).

Please forgive me, but that remark actually was funny Smile
You know why?
Doc Eason being the pro he is -and knowing MAs normal behaviour-, didn't give MA a chance to interfere Smile

I like MA and a lot of his stuff and I always found he gave credit where credit was due, but watching the Dai Vernon tapes (and others) unfortunately he was/is too pushy, in case of the DV tapes, he is excused, he wasn't that *old* at that time..

BUT, I just did read the review Michael Close gave the Eddie Tullock tapes/DVDs, where MA was the host..

You'll be surprised..MA hasn't changed..actually you should read that review Smile))
Oh yes, I recall it was in Magic Magasin Sept. 2004, the issue with Fred Kaps on the cover..
Read it...not soley because of Michael Close's review.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-10-05 11:50, Bob Gerdes wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-10-05 07:39, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

John Cornelius himself appears on the tape with Mr. Ammar and teaches the trick.

I would think you can cite the tape as a source to learn the trick without any disrespect.

Bob

Thanks Bob! Great news!
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I bought my fickle nickel from eBay. You can find almost anything there. Really great illusion.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Between Cornelius's Fickle Nickle and Now U C It Now U Don't... much to consider about this stuff. And this is quite an advance on the ideas presented in Down's book and in Greater Magic.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "Please forgive me, but that remark actually was funny..."

I'm glad that someone other than myself found the humor in that Smile

So anyway, back on topic... Fickle Nickle -> Neat trick. Smile

Best,

Mike

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Fickle Nickel? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL