We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Head decapitation effects in poor taste these days (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
With all the terrible images on the news that refer to the beheading of innocent civilians, I wonder if there many magicians have either removed the buzz saw or head guillotine illusion from their promo materials and/or show?

My feeling is, remove it from promo materials, but keep the effect in the show, as long as it's all handled with comedy and fun.

I believe that even though it's all in fun, it also can be viewed as being in poor taste these days.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quite agreed...

I never was in favour of it anyway...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1348 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Yeah. we were going to make a tribute illusion to the towers but felt capatalizing on the 11th would not be a good thing although our intentions were to be a tribute. The emotion for it was just to high.
So I agree with the head chopper thing. I do want to say however just cause some a-holes decide to go on a murder rampage, and kill innocent people, does not mean we have to change our way of life.

I am VERY fond of sawing, head off / and cutting illusions
as well. Spikes, all of the horror or wow type props
but........ I do feel that we need to respect the feelings of our audiences through these times and entertain them with illusions that uplift them and cause awe and wonder/ magic.....all that stuff... cheers Smile

R.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
spkrosky
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of spkrosky
I have these reservations as well. Although I think the head chopper effects/ sword through the neck are best done as comedy pieces and as such I'm not sure how quickly the audience relates them to the current events. Now if we were to include jokes alluding to Arabic beheadings, torture, etc, that would indicate extremely poor taste. So as long as we keep it extremely lighthearted and keep the makeup of the audience in mind, I'm not sure it's a problem
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
It all comes down to presenation. If you present the piece in a tastful manner you are good to go. Don't treat this effect with poor taste cause you won't get that responds you are looking for.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Wouldn't this topic be better suited in the "Food For Thought" section?
No pun intended.
POOF!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Just in case you didn't know, there are other recent threads on this exact subject.

Here's one of them: Magic Café thread... Guillotine - Distasteful?

Use a keyword search of "chopper" or "guillotine", and you'll find pages of threads. Several recent ones mention this concern.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Nonsense!!! Theres nothing wrong with head chopper effects, sheesh I can't stand this politically correct BS!
Johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I think showing sensitivity to our global community is a valid concern. That's why I believe that entertainers should "consider" removing from our promo kits, the close-up image of a head about to be cut into with either a buzz saw or a guillotine blade.

Of course, in the end it's a personal decision. I also believe that there is nothing wrong with keeping the routine in the show as long as it is lighthearted, has comedic appeal and (as spkrosky writes) does not offend the particular make-up of the audience or the setting(ie. wouldn't do it in a Mosque, synagogue, or in front of military groups, etc.).

When I received a recent call from the head of a Baptist association, they expressed deep concern at seeing such an image on our web site. Again, this is why we have removed it from our site (for the time being. We (you) never know who will visit your site and find genuine offense. I'd rather promote the fun and laughter of our show and although the way in which we present the buzz-saw routine evokes gales of fun and laughter (and not at the expense of the volunteer), we know that, but until I can describe the effect further to the potential client, they do not know that (it remains vague and ambiguous). Sure I had a caption beneath that said "Laugh your head off!", but I believe I have explained my own reasons for removing the image from our site.

I would like to move this posting to a more appropriate section of the Magic Café (ie. Food for Thought). Can anyone advise me on the steps necessary to do this?

Thanks for the thoughtful input on this thread.

Sincerely,
Jonathan
Jonathan
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
Ironically, one of the recent victims was from the neighboring community of Hillsdale, MI.
Very sad indeed. Just out of curiosity, does anyone still perform the John the Baptist illusion?
seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
What if you do a Chris Angel style of magic? (I mean dark and gory! and not necessary his effects!) OR better still, there is an act in the UK called Nightmare and their WHOLE show is about impaling, hanging, beheading.....Do you get me?
If everybody was to say we shouldn't do these type of effects at the moment, these poor guys are gonna s@/t out big time!!
People come to watch a show and to enjoy it, I don't think that people will relate to todays issues too much! They just wanna have a good time. As long as there is no relation to recent issues I don't think there would be too much of a problem.
Also why should these murdering @?$£"&* be allowed to place all of us in a situation of Do I, Don't I perform this? Why should we change our way of life, stop doing what we are doing because of these maniacs? (And before you say it yes I understand we need to acknowlodge and respect the victims and their families, but not by the world changing what it does in every day life, because does that not give exactly what they want, for us to stop and change what we do?)
Anyway just my thought on the subject and lets all hope that Ken Bigley is released safely and there is an end to all this soon!

Regards
Sean
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Please note, I've shifted my thoughts on this subject over to the following thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=7

Please check it out and continue the discussion, should you desire.

Once again, many thanks to all those that participated in this particualr thread.

Jonathan
Jonathan
The Great Blackwell
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
58 Posts

Profile of The Great Blackwell
Consider your audience and act accordingly...
-Dave in Minneapolis

"Never trust anyone in a wedding dress, especially a woman!"
-Sam Malone
Dr Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Sparks, NV
154 Posts

Profile of Dr Magic
Quote:
On 2004-10-04 19:42, Scruffy the Clown wrote:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone still perform the John the Baptist illusion?

Quote:
On 2004-10-04 16:28, jlevey wrote:
I received a recent call from the head of a Baptist

Yikes!

:banana: Smile
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
I think head decapatation is great depending on the routine although I don't mean it as if I am someone completely sick in the head I just like the effects
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Just one question. If you are doing a decapitation, what else can you remove other than the head?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Head decapitation effects in poor taste these days (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL