The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Mondo Magic on The A&E Channel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
This show features the work of Chris Korn, Harry Anderson and a few special guest performing on the streets of New Orleans. Take a guess on who's also there?

Watch for it this coming monday and then to be repeated on tuesday.

This will only be a half hour show, so don't miss the smoking lamp while it's lit!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I saw a promo for this just now. Looks like a good special!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Well, who watched it and what did you think? What was your favorite effect?

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
mistermudd
View Profile
New user
Lancaster, CA
98 Posts

Profile of mistermudd
I just watched it myself... I liked it better that "Street Magic" by David Blaine. Although, I think they could have put more material in the 1/2hour show than they did. But I guess they need to save some for the rest of the season.

There was a really cool treat though... a special appearence by Harry Anderson. He did a pretty cool story telling effect.

I will definately be following that show for the rest of the season.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
Hayze
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
83 Posts

Profile of Hayze
This was amusing, it states no camera tricks at all! And then they proceed to show backwards film of the cards springing back into their hands.
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
Its a great effect its called Heirloom. If you watch there were no camera effects just some clever editing. Like the coins across Korn did. But other than that I didn't see any effects just editing. I think it lacked what a friend of mine likes to call WOW magic. The effects were good for a lay audience and we have to remember we are not a lay audience. The public I am sure was entertained unfortunitly for magicians there was nothing special. But that doesn't meen that it didn't go over well. I guess we will see when the ratings come out.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This would never get the reaction Blaine did. He showed up out of nowhere in ejans and t-shirt, with a serious character ( developed by he and Paul Harris ) and peopel thought he could perform real magic.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I was impressed. I especially liked the Voodoo Card effect. Tonight was the first time I have seen Mr. Korn's magic. Both of them put out a pretty nice show. I am looking forward to next week.
ralphgironda
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Chris Korn showed up to are local sam club meeting and showed us a preview of the show about a week ago. I saw it and was wowed! I love the show and will be taping them all. I hope Chris shows off his coin work because its simply amazing!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
If it's repeating tonight then I will try to catch it. Does anyone know what time it will air?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I noticed something that Mr. Rubinstein might like, Chris executes the R.O.P.S. move nicely in the first episode for a couple of ladies. Just seeing that makes me want to start practicing it again.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I liked the show overall, but I do feel there could have been a few more effects in the 30 minute time frame. But I understand that they have to save some stuff for future episodes.

I liked the fact that they visited Harry Anderson's shop and featured him on the show, but did anyone else notice how Korn and Benn got real quiet and appeared very shy when they met Anderson for the first time? I guess they were just excited to meet him, but for performing magicians who are used to dealing with people and being the center of attention, it was weird to see them get so timid at that point.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Very well done -- I enjoyed it immensely. It didn't have the "trying to hard to be cool" element that certain other recent magic shows have had. It was just two excellent magicians, performing some pretty solid effects, and they always seemed to be in their element.

I also enjoyed seeing Harry Anderson -- though I wish there had been more dialogue between the trio about magic in general. But then again, that's the magician in me, and the show's not for magicians.

My only concern is that I don't know that this will play well for a TV audience. These guys are fantastic, and they're great in-person ... but I don't know how well their personalities came across on screen. We'll see, thought -- there are 15 more episodes in which they can give the audience a chance to get to know them.

Along the same lines ... they didn't take advantage of the medium to give viewers a close look at what was going on. The cards, coins, etc. always seemed to be at a distance. The "moment of magic" was missed on occasion, as the spectator was wowed, but the TV viewer didn't see what was wowing them for several seconds. And what may have been a nice vanish in the coins across effect was lost ... the viewer couldn't really see much.

But those are minor criticisms. It was an excellent show, and one of the most enjoyable magic shows I've seen on TV in a while. I'm thrilled that we're going to get to enjoy it every week.
Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
I watched it with anticipation, as I do anything magic related. The effects were good and came off cleanly, and the visit with Harry Anderson was the highlight. I think that more could have been done with the time available. More close-up camera work would have made more of an impact with a TV audience. I have the utmost respect for Korn and J.B. but their personalities and true skills weren't showcased. Perhaps if they were able to have more creative control over the show, they might be able to make it more appealing to both laypeople and magi. Understanding that this is the first episode and will probably be tweaked as time goes by, I'll stick around and see what is to come. In spite of all this, it was still entertaining and enjoyable. I think if it were an hour show, it would be even better.
Matt Bartz
View Profile
Loyal user
Gilbert, Arizona
253 Posts

Profile of Matt Bartz
I thought this was a good show and the two did an excellent job of taking advantage of the New Orleans atmosphere by performing a voodoo effect and Harry Anderson's performance of heirloom. I'm glad to here that it is a series, and I'll get to see more.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
Rey Rey,
I checked my DirecTV on-screen guide and it doesn't show a listing for today. Is it supposed to air today or next Tuesday?

Thanks.

Regan
Mister Mystery
ljgrant
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of ljgrant
What is the name of the burned card effect? Is that Voodoo? Is that available? It looked great.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Today Regan
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
I know Sankey has a similar effect with a burning card on his Secret Files videos.

I liked the show, though I felt it was a little "card heavy". The current TV stereotype of a magician must be a guy dressed in dungy clothes with a deck of cards in hand.

Wish they hadn't blurred out the cleavage. Oh well, maybe they'll get a cable show.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I can't say that I was disappointed by Monday's Mondo Magic because my expectations were not all that high. It was pretty much as I had expected. Guerilla performances which focused more on the reactions of the audience and lowered the art of magic to a party stunt.
I understand that these shows are made for the general public and not magic enthusiasts but really can't we have a show that isn't a Blaine derivative? Eugene Burger has oft times said that magic is a house with any rooms but at the moment we seem to be stuck in the driveway. Television executives seem to be enamored with the "in your face" instantly gratifying no presentation necessary performances. Magicians, with unseen camera crew in tow, shuffle down the street in T-shirt and jeans chanting the mantra "wanna see a trick?" and inflicting mediocre magic on the unsuspecting.
We whine and complain that no one takes our chosen field seriously and is it any wonder when shows like this are aired. What kind of message are we sending? What is the image of a magician that is being formed in the minds of the general public?
We are artists no more but simply slingers of meaningless sleights and pointless presentations. Common tricksters.
When was the last time you saw a special on the Opera or Ballet that had their performers bringing it to the streets for the common man to enjoy?
But then magic has always suffered from this wannabeeism. We've gone from Henning clones to Copperfieldgangers to Big Cat copyists and now it seems to be Guerilla see Guerilla do.
Needless to say I shan't be watching any future episodes of this show.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Mondo Magic on The A&E Channel (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL