The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Mondo Magic on The A&E Channel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Just watched this weeks. The nail thing was something. But there was only like three effects in the whole show. The card trick where the card flew through his hand, the ring link, and one or two others then the nail. And no guest really.

To much for too little is all.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Thanks and I cringed too.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
I cringed as well. They replayed the scene so many times, and each time I still cringed. Chris has a lot of guts to redo the effect all over again after getting his hand impaled by a nail. So whose going to try this effect for their next show? Smile

I liked the linking ring effect though. I thought that one was the most magical out of all the effects tonight.
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
LOL is it possible that the nail thing was just good acting? Think about it for a minute or two. I meen once it happened you never really got to see his hand and JB was kinda laughing about it. It could be just a stunt to bring the build up for the end of the show when he does the routine. Just a thought, and to be honest I would have done that to build it up. But then again I am sick and demented just ask anyone that knows me here....LOL

tpdmagic
sammhoudini
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of sammhoudini
I'd agree it was hard to tell whether JB was laughing at the fact they were pulling the "stunt off" or if he was laughing at the disbelief that it actually happened. I tend to believe more that he laughed because he really didn't believe that Chris had hit the wrong cup.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I am pretty darn sure that chris really impaled his hand....

His hand has slight scarring and it really was just a mistake, caught on camera, as far as I know.

Of all things caught on camera, I'd like to have something like that.... If anyone ever questions you, you can show them the time things went wrong, heh.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
I think we can safely say it was a legitimate accident. They may have overdramatized things by showing the ambulance, though -- I doubt very much that he took an ambulance to the hospital for that sort of injury.

Benn did appear to have a smile, but I suspect it was a nervous smile ... not a sign that anyone was "acting".

Despite the lack of actual effects, this might have been the best of the series, for non-magicians. There was a storyline, and some serious drama. And one of the performers actually became a "character". They could have heightened the drama by reminding viewers that nerve damage to his hand would seriously affect his ability to perform magic. I think any magician watching had that in their mind ... but lay viewers may not be aware of the implications of the accident.

I think there were only three effects in the show: the ring linking was good -- though again, camera work deadened the impact; the invisible deck trick was, well, an invisible deck trick -- always good, but not impressive to a magician; and the nail trick, which turned out to be very tense and really "made" the show.

I believe this was the final episode -- does anyone know for sure? I hope it gets renewed; with a bit of retooling, it could be excellent.
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
No offense to Benn, but I'm surprised that so many of you guys liked the linking finger rings presentation. I understand those h***** r**** are tough to work, and from the struggle he was putting into it, I can believe it. It's still a strong effect and a fooler, but there has to be a more graceful way to do it. Is this a typical handling of the LFR?

As far as Korn's Stigmata, what are the chances that there CAN be an error? I don't know the workings, but most danger magic I'm familiar with is pretty fool-proof. Not that there's anything wrong w/ faking an accident! Just speculating for the fun of it.

I guess I'm sounding pretty critical, so for the record let me say I like these guys and the show a lot. Here's hoping they get picked up for another season.

Will
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
I guess I have to say that I did not like the presentation of the linking finger rings either, but I really enjoyed seeing the effect (first time I'd ever seen it performed). I'm sure there are better ways of presenting the linking finger rings, but that's just me. I didn't like how JB would constantly repeat "look look look," too David Blaine in my opinion. JB Benn is a good magician, but his presentation style doesn't appeal to me as much as Chris Korn's.
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
That stab made me cringe big time... OUCH! Nerve damage was the first thing that I thought of. What would Korn do without his hand? Very scary. One wrong move and we've come far too close to Chris Korn-Lavand (don't take that the wrong way; Rene rules!). It did cross my mind that it was only a stunt (you know, never trust anything where a magician in concerned), but I am sooooo doubtful. It's very possible, just not very likely in my opinion. But hey-- who knows.

I'm still hoping for another season. We just need more magic on TV. Smile
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
I think it would be interesting if Mondo Magic had an episode where they traveled to different cities and visited different magicians, similar to Hit the Road with Asher and Wilson. It would be kind of interesting also if the magicians were the ones of the underground scene, so this would give them a chance to get more recognition. What do you guys think?
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I personally know of at least two other performers who have had their hands impaled doing this act.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
I remember that guy on The World's Most Dangerous Magic a few years back who used knives; didn't he miss once?
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Well, I watched the first episode and wasn't impressed, the second I watched for about 15 minutes, and the third for about 5. I forgot it was on after that. I just didn't see anything to catch my interest. Glad to see many of you are finding it interesting. I'm finding this discussion interesting even though I don't watch it anymore.
Coram Deo
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
The drama of Korn's mistake and subsequent storyline really got my wife interested. It added a human element to the magic. All I cared about was the magic, but my wife enjoyed the human drama.

My question is, during practice sessions, why does Chris have to slam his hand on the cup? Can't he just pretend to slam... just in case? Also, do the cameras always record practice sessions?

Those questions make me a little suspicious about whether he really did injure himself. I THINK he did, but I have a nagging suspicion.

I really hope the show continues.

-Dave
ivan7
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of ivan7
I don't, I'm glad its being cancelled. It's bad magic performed poorly. The "drama" of the situation was laughable. All the normal people (non magicians)I watched with laughed and instantly assumed it was faked and he was just trying to build up drama. Good drama would be if the audience thought it was real and he could hurt himself (a la Brown russian roulette). The only people who would actually think he REALLY hurt himself are magicians and idiots. Magicians because they probably know someone who did the same thing (I do) and idiots because they're gullible idiots . The sad part is he probably REALLY did hurt himself but no one believes it. Why do a trick that can maim your hands (when as a magician you need them). You're just kidding yourself if you actually think anyone thinks the danger is real. Since your spectators think its false,why bother with real danger.

Also, if you had 3 hours to impress the world with your magic, would you waste 5 minutes of it having JB eat a hot dog? that's pretty powerful stuff. The kind of magic that will elevate magic from the games and hobbies section of a bookstore to the performing arts section.
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
I really don't have a problem with the show. But the only two things I don't like, is how they have the titles of the routines on the bottom of the screen. And the other which I feel is not the preformers falt but done from the filming and editing, it's that I feel like there playing a game or showing a puzzle instead of performing magic.
Now remember that they pick effects that would translate thru the television, It might not be their best material.
And I feel that Chris Korn did injure himself, and that it was NOT stage. Because if it was fake and they knew they were going to use the footage, why would they leave the gumball machine from Vegas in the room! Now if you watch the footage again they censor the gumball machine by bluring it out. Giving me the impression that the footage is NOT fake.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Angela the guy on "Most Dangerous Magic" was Gary Kutz, I feel it was his performance of the effect the renewed interest in the effect. He did not miss on WMDMII he performed a similar effect using a cobra & clay jars.
IVAN7 sorry you feel the way you do, unfortunately neither Korn nor Ben had much say in the production of the show, so they are at the directors & producers control. IN future projects they will have more control over the finished product. For those interested reruns will be shown on Saturday afternoons.
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Thanks for clarifying; I agree that it was a great performance (I remember it pretty well after all these years).

I have to agree that these guys probably had little say in the actual production. Since I work as a model and actress, I can speak from personal experience. A lot of times TV producers use shots that I hate because they think that they will appeal to a commercial audience. It's the same with modeling. If the art director wants to make you look ugly because he thinks it will capture a certain emotion, he's going to do it. JB and Chris weren't the ones doing the major editing of the show; they were the ones working their butts off to get the footage.

Angela
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2004-10-12 11:27, Dave1216 wrote:
I liked Korn, but Benn looks, talks, and acts like David Blaine. While it is not an exact copy of Blaine's character, it is close enough. I was watching it with a bunch of laymen, and more than a few commented on the Blaine/Benn comparison.

Agreed....He has to cut that "look, look, look, look," which I find extremely irritating....I would also recommend taping these, due to the excessive number of commercials....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Mondo Magic on The A&E Channel (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL