The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tricks in movies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Disneyland's 50th anniversary celebration has a new video with Steve Martin doing a ton of magic tricks. It's being shown in the old Lincoln theatre.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Quote:
On 2005-08-19 00:44, George  wrote:
Steve Carrell's character, Andy, in "The 40 Year Old Virgin" tries to impress his date's daughter by producing an oversized quarter and a latex ear from her ear. Quite poorly though.

There was also a giant poster of Doug Henning on the door in his apartment.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Joe Pecci does a card change in My Cousin Vinny. Not bad to.
Justin.
Also, Steve Martin does some magic in Leap of Faith.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Road to Perdition and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl both feature coin rolls done at some point.

And DareDevil features a backpalm card production, done by Bullseye.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
George 
View Profile
Regular user
New York
133 Posts

Profile of George 
While not quite magical, the woman playing solitare in base-camp in "Eight Below" is using Bicycle Fan Back cards...which have been out of print for a while.

I'm jealous.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
As much as I LOVE Pirates Of The Caribbean TCOTBP, Capt Jack's skeletal coin flourishes, were, alas, computer generated. However, if you watch just prior to those sequences, Depp (or his stand-in) executes a not-too-shabby Classic P**m.

By the way, the film in which Anthony Hopkins performed a do-as-I-do card trick was titled, appropriately enough, "Magic." He played a vent.

Leland
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 09:12, gambituk1 wrote:
...and is it REALLY * That * bad???
What exactly does he do in it?

It's a cheezy horror movie, it's not THAT bad.

It's been awhile, but I remember David floating a rose while he flirted with the heroine. Does a card stab and a switch with him and his assistant behind a sheet. Don't remember too much else.

"Real Genius," Val Kilmer does two coin rolls, one in each hand, while saying dialog.

"Airplane," the doctor does the egg in the mouth gag with one of the sick patients on the plane.

"Rio Bravo," (John Wayne did three movies with "Rio" in the title. This should be the one with Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson and Angie Dickinson." Angie plays a card shark. At one point she does color changes for the saloon owner. You can tell someone is feeding her the cards under the table and her hand is extremely stiff. As the saloon owner gushes; "How do you do that?" I turned to my wife and said; "Badly!"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Better late than never, the hands in the opening of SHADE belong to Damian Nieman (who wrote and directed the film), R. Paul Wilson, Jason England, and Earl Nelson. Hope that helps.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
I love the scene in Total Recall were the guy with the backpack on going up the escalator does the bullet catch.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
How can we forget Shade's granddaddy, The STING?!? This is the movie that got me interested in cards. I saw it when I was 11 and went nuts when Paul Newman does some fancy cuts and second deals. (It's actually Scarne.)
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
The scary dude in "Road to Perdition" always does coin rolls. I always wanted to do one after I saw that movie.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
The River King - turning a white rose red.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2006-03-13 08:23, pepka wrote:
How can we forget Shade's granddaddy, The STING?!? (It's actually Scarne.)

And The Sting's great grandfather: "THE CINCINATTI KID" where Steve McQueen ( I wonder who it actually was?) does card sleights and flourishes in front of Tuesday Weld and Edward G. Robinson!
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
thePyramidWithin
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of thePyramidWithin
I've noticed in the music video's of the foo fighters the bass player seems to have a backround of magic...or an interest in it.
I can't believe I missed that t&r newspaper in the Recruit with al pacino.
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Near the beginning of the Lion King, the King's evil brother (Scar) coin rolls a mouse across his knuckles.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
OMG GREAT ONE!!!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-03-15 20:10, thePyramidWithin wrote:
I've noticed in the music video's of the foo fighters the bass player seems to have a backround of magic...or an interest in it.
I can't believe I missed that t&r newspaper in the Recruit with al pacino.

If we're going to discuss music videos, Juice Newton's "Playing With The Queen of Hearts" has some basic card moves being done during the chorus.

There was also a Thompson Twins video where the keyboardist was doing a cup and ball bit.

Also, the DVD of "The Sword In The Stone" has a television sequence where Walt introduces the Magic Mirror from "Snow White" (actor Hans Conried) who has hands within the mirror and does some magic. (I don't know who's hands, they don't appear to be his.)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
- Jewel Of the Nile (douglas n turner) "johara" takes a stone, closes his fist around it, opens it, a butterfly flies out of his hand...(this is one of the reasons I got into magic)

- Bram Stoker's Dracula; Oldman wipes Ryder's tears and turns them into diamond.

- Blacke's Magic
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Lets not forget eric mead's fantastic routine in "the aristocrats"!
xxx
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Two more:

In the classic Kubrick dark comedy "Dr. Strangelove", one of the bored bomber pilots does some very nice shuffles and fan-flourishes.

There is also a 1964 sci-fi movie called the "Time Travellers", where parlor and stage illusions are used to depict "future technology" (teleportation and fast-growing fruit). In the Android Factory scene, the old "metal hoop-to-square" is shown as part of the production line.

Douglas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tricks in movies (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL