The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Street table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Barajista
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Barajista
Hi, can anyone recommend a good book that has plans for building a nice portable table for street work that's easy to pack and move? Thanks
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
Most people I know use a case and a stand. This just makes moving stuff around a lot easier. If you are looking for plans for a case http://www.rockler.com has one. You can find tray jacks at restaraunt supply houises. Tray jacks stand a little higher than a TV tray or other portable tables, this helps with performing without stooping. I hope this helps.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
Barajista
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Barajista
Hi MinnesotaChef, thanks for the info! I will check out the site you suggest!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Cellini's book, "The Royal Touch" has drawings of a good street table. Do a search on the busking thread to find discussions on the best design.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
Gazzo's cub and ball book has some pictures.
also:http://www.garyanimal.co.uk/tables.html
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
BananaTop
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of BananaTop
I made My Own. Wood Stand Felt Top 20 Bucks TOPS

BT
For Those Who Belive, No explanation is Necessary. For Those Who Do Not, None Will Suffice.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are some photos of the one I used in my Merlin act and my Hocus Pocus act in my lecture notes on working renaissance festivals. These are now available from Hocus Pocus.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I was just asking about this in another area of the Café and later found tons of info in the busking section. I'm putting one together with a 24" x 24" top or should it be wider??? I like the 24x size for the Train Tables I make. I was thinking today while looking at a wooden folding chair once used for a chair suspension in my shop why wouldnt a top that attached to the folding chair back work??? If you put the top on with the seat facing backwards it would give you a shelf and maybe some shade for a servante of sorts. If Im covering old territory here please forgive me but Im reading through the Café as fast as I can but its not fast enough. This place is massive!!
-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Hi Tabman,
My table top is 18x24. I loaned it to Gazzo on his last trip here to Vegas, and that's when I found out how small it really is. Sure did make his final loads look huge though! Three cups, six oranges and a melon barely fit.

It works for me, but for him I think he uses something more like 24x36

I framed mine with some oversize molding so there's an upper "lip" to keep balls from rolling off onto the ground.

I hadn't thought of the folding chair idea. If the top was built in such a way that it would fit a multitude of commonly available chairs it might work well. It might be a bit low though... I wouldn't want to have to stoop over it all day. For me, I use a "tall" waiter's stand that brings the table up to about 38"
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
38" coincides with the Scotty York-Bob Sheets Folding Table. It's at 38 1/2" from the ground.

I'm gonna put a table top on a folding table ala The Chair Suspension. You're right about the height but why not just make a chair with a taller back.

I recently made Richard Hatch a Bertram Cups and Balls Table which is about 12 x 32. It's held by two spectators while the magician works the cups and balls between them.

I can see why Gazzo needs a bigger table top. Is he still doing the act with the tomatoes???

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-11-01 22:11, tabman wrote:
I can see why Gazzo needs a bigger table top. Is he still doing the act with the tomatoes???

-=tabman

No. He uses oranges and a melon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Street table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL