The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help me understand.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
This may seem like an odd question, but I just need to clarify things in my mind.

I understand what a 'close-up' mentalism show is. You hop from table to table or walk from group to group performing your stuff.

I understand a 'stage' mentalism show, people pay to come see you.

And I sort of understand a 'corporate' gig, your performing for a company at their Christmas due or something.

But what about parlour? Is it basically a stage show but there's no clearly defined 'stage', so to speak. You might just be performing on a platform in a town hall or some such.

Can any one help me define what each type of show is?

Thanks.

Alex.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Parlour defines the setting between stage and close-up. I figure, if you're performing for more than 5 or 6 people, you're doing parlour (since you're getting in the area where things can no longer be seen "close-up").

Best,

James.
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
418 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
Also, your audience may be drinking more watching a parlour show than a stage show. ;-)
triXter9669
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of triXter9669
A little off subject here, but every time I hear the word PARLOUR it reminds me of the movie BEETLEJUICE for some reason. Then I saw your picture, David---ha, ha and you actually resemble the husband a bit.

Hope you don't take offense to this, as it's not meant that way. I just got a laugh out of that.
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
418 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
No, I don't mind who I resemble. Smile
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Oh, yeah, he does a bit!

OK, thanks, James. That helps me understand a little better. Would 'close-up theater' be a good way to define a parlour show?
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Maybe, if it helps you understand it better.

Parlour is kinda like doing a really small stage show without a stage. That's probably more accurate than saying it's a really big close-up set, since there are things you can do in a parlour setting that you can't do close-up. Likewise, there are things that you can kill with close-up that might not come across in a larger setting - the energy's just different.

If it's too confusing. Just forget all the classification. Generally, a pro should have material they can perform just about anywhere, at anytime.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Think of a party setting.
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Thanks, procyonrising, that helped a lot. And your final comments couldn't be more true.

And your comment too, Shrink, very helpful.

So in general terms, close-up, you (the performer) are the focus of attention for a small group of 1,2,3 maybe 4 people at a table or standing in a small group like they do at receptions.

But Parlour, you are the focus of attention for a lager group of people, for example everyone at the party, except those who might be to drunk and/or looking for the dip to go with the bread stick they've been holding for half an hour. It's still close-up but you can get away with doing larger routines.

It's hard for me to define in words, but I think I understand. A good piece of advice would be to have material for either and mix and match depending on what you feel would suit the situation. Correct?

Which is easy enough as my style and mentalism in general doesn't require anything to over the top, props wise.

Thanks guys,

Alex.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Funny thing is that words such as Parlour, drawing room, etc., all those words that are not really used any more, always make me think of doing medium type effects back in the 1940's for people dressed in tuxedos and suits with the big black plastic rimmed glasses.

I love period mentalism, probably why I love Corinda and Anneman. Smile

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
I thought parlour mentalism had to be done for old women who all had their hair in the spun up tall being "set" in a dryer.

Parlour around the Midwest refers to lots of "beauty parlour." Seems not parlours are being taken over by places like day spas and other stress relief types of places.

John e.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Often, when my wife is doing tarot for guests at a small psychic party, I will do 'parlor' mentalism in the living room or dining room, along with discussing paranormal subjects with them. It helps entertain them while they wait for readings.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I always thought parlour shows were done at people's homes. Living room magic, birthday parties and whatnot. I could be way off here. Smile

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
They are. "Parlor" is an archaic, Victorian term (akin to a den or a family room; often used for private conversations or 'courting')

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help me understand.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL