The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » HYBRID-DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Quick review about Hybrid hyped as a versatlile bill switch that is really not, but that allows putting two different bills seam to seam and they become one, tearing a bil in half with flash restoration.
I bought this looking for a non -thumb tip method, I never learned the Kozlowski switch, for some reason just can not do it. Besides, I'm looking ror something more impromptu
Hybrid is not it. It is a variation (minor I think) on the Kozlowski switch. No where does the ad suggest that a tip is used. Secondly, it is BADLY done by the demonstrator; his right thumb re-entering the tip is so obviusly PUSHED in that it might get by laymen, but not more than once. It could be covered by patter, "This big push makes it happen").
I wish Hank Lee, whom I trust a LOT, had reviewed this tape before marketing it, and/or reviewed the ad copy. There are two DVDs; one was rejected by my machine and did not play. Hank wil replace it, after I return the original
Marty Kaplan
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Hate to break it to you Martyk, but only one DVD was supposed to play. The other disc had the Hybrid bills on them. You need to place that disc in your computer and print out the bill. Obviously if you read the back of the DVD you would know that.

My 2 cents on this trick, It does use a TT and Nigel Harrison was open about that. He was on Magic Café like 2 weeks ago telling us that his method used a TT. I think it is better than the hundred dollar bill trick. It is kinda like putting the switch and a T&R card trick together.

Only downside, they Hybrid Bill looks like crap and I wouldn't let a spectator examine it.

Steve
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Has anyone come up with a way to make a hybrid bill that DOESN'T look like crap? How can you be expected to hand out a piece of paper that you printed at home on your pc and expect anyone to think it's a real bill?! Smile
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Quote:
On 2004-10-09 05:06, wulfie66 wrote:
Has anyone come up with a way to make a hybrid bill that DOESN'T look like crap? How can you be expected to hand out a piece of paper that you printed at home on your pc and expect anyone to think it's a real bill?! Smile

Decent printer and a good match on the paper would be my guess.

A colour lazer printer is very good for this.

Another option is your local print shop - speak to them and get their advice. Maybe get them to do the printing for you.
Show them some magic and the price will come down - maybe even free.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Quote:
On 2004-10-09 08:52, paulajayne wrote:

Another option is your local print shop - speak to them and get their advice. Maybe get them to do the printing for you.

Paula

And that's the hardest part, getting a good match on the paper since you can't just go to your local store and buy the same paper that the US Mint uses. Smile
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Quote:
On 2004-10-09 09:09, wulfie66 wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-10-09 08:52, paulajayne wrote:

Paula

And that's the hardest part, getting a good match on the paper since you can't just go to your local store and buy the same paper that the US Mint uses. Smile

I know that LOL - I wish I could.

Its a matter of going to print suppliers and explaning what you are trying to do.

Take some magic to prove that you are a magician and not just someone who wants to make their own money.

They want to make a sale so will assist.

Paula
----
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Maybe if I were to take the 2nd cd (the one with the gaffs on it) to some place like Kinko's and ask them what's possible, we could work something out since the gaffs are Hybrid bills, I don't think they'd think I was trying to counterfit anything.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Quote:
On 2004-10-09 09:16, wulfie66 wrote:
Maybe if I were to take the 2nd cd (the one with the gaffs on it) to some place like Kinko's and ask them what's possible, we could work something out since the gaffs are Hybrid bills, I don't think they'd think I was trying to counterfit anything.

Good idea,

I would also take a printout from your own printer and show them the problem.

Most people would be glad to help on something a little different from their normal job.

Paula
----
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Yeah, and counterfitting wouldn't be a problem since the hybrid bills have parts of the serial number removed and also have 'this note is not legal tender' in small print at the bottom. Which almost makes it impossible to hand out anyhow. Smile
(I hope that isn't considered 'exposure')
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Expose -no

Magic US coins - have you noticed that they say "we trust in god" as opposed to "IN GOD WE TRUST".

Gets around the counterfeiting rule - mind just try spending a 6 inch 1/2 dollar.

LOL

Paula
----
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Well, I just got an e-mail from Nigel and he said that he uses either Epson Inkjet Paper (24lb 110+ brightness) or HP Bright White Inkjet Paper (24lb, 100+ brightness) and has yet to have a spec notice the difference. So, I guess that's good news for us Hybrid performers. Smile
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
387 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
Good, I just want to ask what kind the paper will make it look like a real bill.

Thanks.
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Why oh why must the hybrid bills look like crap. First of all the should have all letters and numbers on them. Second, take of the black bold lettering that says "This bill is not legal tender."

I mean look at Mis Made Bills... all the letter are there, all the serial numbers are there, and they are sold in magic stores around the world.

Another point, I don't think Nigel was using one of these weird bills in the explanation and performance of Hybrid. I think he has a file saved on his computer that all Hybrid owners want!

Steve
BGI
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of BGI
Hi everyone,

Thought maybe I should offer my two cents here. I really wish some of you weren't so hung up on the gaff bill. The word "crap" is quite harsh. Keep in mind, that the bill is only in view long enough for the spectators to realize that two bills are now one. You don't have to hand it out for examination. As I've said before, I have yet to have spectators "give me a hard time" over the "quality" of the bill. They don't care about the paper, they are too caught up in the moment. Any way, just my two cents.

I'm curious to hear what some of you thought of the other effects on the dvd.

Thanks all, for your interest and support.

Best,
Nigel
Nigel Harrison
Nigel Harrison Productions
Visit www.nigelharrison.ca
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Im gonna be totally straight out about this effect.

I love the handling of the switch....clever stuff, but when the DVD promises that you can hand out the bill for examination, I expect I can do the same when I buy the product. This is not so. I know spectators would not be so caught up in the moment that they would not recognize the BIG BLACK BOLD lettering on the bill. I just wish you included normal templates with your DVD.

One questsiong Nigel, did you use the same hybrid bill in the performance and explanation or were you using your own "normal" looking bill?

BTW....sorry if I used the word "crap" to describe this product. Definately not crap. I love the idea.

Steve
BGI
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of BGI
Hi Steve,

I'm not going to argue about handing the bill out or not. As I've said before, I hand it out and have no problem. If you're really hung up on the "not legal tender" line, I suggest simply taking it out using some photo software on your computer.

Yes, the bill I use on the dvd is that which is included on the cd.

Thanks again for your questions and good luck.
Nigel Harrison
Nigel Harrison Productions
Visit www.nigelharrison.ca
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
I think that if your going to hand out the gaffed bill, that it be examinable. I think too many people will pick up on the missing serial numbers, signatures, and the big bold black 'not legal tender', aside from the fact that it's normal paper and not linen paper. It's a shame that we can't find 'hybrid' bills like the mismade bill which IS printed on the same paper that the US mint uses.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Quote:
On 2004-10-11 04:42, wulfie66 wrote:
The mismade bill which IS printed on the same paper that the US mint uses.

If I'm not misrtaken, the mismade bill should more appropriately be named the mis-cut bill. I think the manufacturer buys these and mis-cuts to make the product.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
If you want great looking and great feeling bills write to Seth Howard at sethadamhoward@msn.com They are called un billievable mis mades.
You can hand these out and they come in every denomination.
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Hey Nigel,

I am gonna stop complaining and take your advice. I am going to learn the routine and do it a few times for laymen with the bill you supplied. You might be completely right. I may just be getting hung up on a fact that will fly by my spectators. Sorry for being so harsh without give the effect the proper attention.

BTW, I got a lot out of your Moves Manuscript. Good Stuff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » HYBRID-DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL