The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do you deserve your pay? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Robin Parker
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
117 Posts

Profile of Robin Parker
You work very hard for your pay & you deserve every penny for yourself & your family; that is fair & honest. End all income taxes & support congressional bill HR 2525, national sales tax. http://www.fairtax.org for more info. read & decide for yourself
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Sheesh! What's fair about a national sales tax?

We've got one in Canada -- and it sucks!

And, Robin, when it says "a place to discuss things that have nothing to do with magic," you don't fool around, do you!

Smile

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Robin Parker
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
117 Posts

Profile of Robin Parker
Hello Peter, thanks for the reply. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you Canadians get socked with both a national retail sales tax & an income tax? That would be terrible!! A sales tax is fair because the individual controls much more of their money, as they should. Income tax, taxes the individual simply due to virtue, due to the desire of the individual to support his life. Should one be taxed simply b/c one chooses life & desires to support it with honest work? I dont think so. Income tax is actually a ransom on your life; don't pay the ransom and the govt will punish you. What a terrible relationship between a people and their govt.
Cliff
View Profile
New user
Warrington, England.
73 Posts

Profile of Cliff
In England we have a sales tax called V.A.T (Value? Added Tax) and Income Tax. We do however have Social Security for the unemployed and a National Health System for all. However to be eligible for these you have to be a drug pusher or pimp. At least that's how it is in Oldham. Smile
All the best

Cliff
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
Robin Parker for President!!!!!!!

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Bengi Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Robin,

Right, in Canada we have a national sales tax (GST, for Goods and Services Tax) and a national income tax (along with provincial sales taxes, income taxes, you name it!)

The problem with a sales tax is that it unfairly hits different economic strata.

For example, if I make a million dollars a year, and pay a buck for a loaf of bread, the sales tax is, say, 10 per cent or 10 cents a loaf.

So the sales tax on the bread, for me, is just one-billionth of my income.

On the other hand, if I make $10,000 a years, I still have to pay 10 cents a loaf tax when I buy bread.

And the same sales tax on bread, for me, is one-ten-millionth of my income.

So, the "same" tax on that loaf of bread costs one person 100 times as much of his income as another.

And that’s not fair, either.

But, as John F. Kennedy said, "Nobody ever said life was fair."

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Robin Parker
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
117 Posts

Profile of Robin Parker
Peter, this congressional bill has a rebate system which pays back taxes paid on necessities; this greatly reduces the regressivity of the sales tax.
The Dead Ranger
View Profile
New user
Biloxi, Mississippi
45 Posts

Profile of The Dead Ranger
Flat tax on incomes over poverty level, no filing, and elimination of the IRS...

: Yeeah :

Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Robin,

Somewhere out in cyberspace is my original answer to you.

So here goes again:

If there is a regressivity feature in the sales tax, then how does that make it TRULY different from the progressive feature of the income tax.

Isn’t it just the same thing, applied a different way?

Not that anything we say here is going to make a hoot in h**l’s difference.

And the bill isn’t ever going to get out of committee in Congress.

But it keeps the brain cells active! Smile

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Robin Parker
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
117 Posts

Profile of Robin Parker
Hello Peter, you pose good questions. Inherently, sales tax has regressivity; the rebate system softens this and also makes it more palatable to the Democrats. There is a world of difference between progressive income tax and sales tax; progressive income tax punishes virtue: hard work, good decision making, staying in school and doing well in school and perhaps going further in school, working 50, 60, 70, 80+ hours a week, etc... All of those things require virtue, that which is the best in all of us. Those things should not be taxed, punished. And the progressivity feature, the more you succeed, the more you are taxed? That is nuts, it is immoral and unjust. I always thought that success should be rewarded and not punished and I have always thought that the reward of success is one of the main philosophical features which led to the success of the West and in particular of America. The destruction of incentive and success certainly did not help the other extreme, the former USSR. Also, income tax gives you less control over the money for which you work so hard because the govt simply takes it from you without your consent, you have no choice. I think people should be able to control more of their money for they earned it and they can use it so as to manage their own lives. Individuals understand their own needs much better than govt ever could. Sales tax allows the individual more control; if you don't want to pay the tax, don't make the purchase. (And I’m not talking about necessities). Income tax punishes you for saving money, for the practice of thrift. I thought that thrift was a virtue but govt says no. Govt is wrong. Income tax punishes one for risking your money in a new venture, for investment. Our capitalistic system relies heavily upon investment so I certainly don't see the justice in the punishment of those who support new business and therefore our economy and therefore our very lives. That’s it in a nutshell. I speak about this subject in very simple terms but than the truth is not so complex as govt would have us believe. I simply stick to simple truths and it helps guide me to understanding the world better, despite the objections of so many against simple truths. http://www.fairtax.org check out the site for a more complete explaination of the idea if you want. I assume you are Canadian and therefore HR 2525 would not affect you so much but still it is an interesting alternative to the current income tax system. It is interesting because, whether one understands it or not, this affects our lives very much and therefore our country. I will not take responsibility if you have nodded off. Thank you for your interest. Best regards to all!!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
It’s not so much the tax system that is askew (although that is part of the problem) as it is our governments.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Easy thar boys.

There are alot of valid points there but perhaps some of us need to be reminded that paying income tax is something we committed ourselves to when we planted our flag. If all we have to complain about is unfair taxation in our respective countries, I'd say lets toast it over a beer because thats doing pretty darn good. Smile

It has been said that Americans are some of the most passionate people in the world. If only we could remember what it was we were passionate about. Smile
Yakworld.
markmcdermott
View Profile
New user
Belfast, Northern Ireland
24 Posts

Profile of markmcdermott
In the U.K. it’s the Duty on road fuel that gets me. Unleaded petrol (gas) is currently £0.82 per litre. At $1.40 American dollars to the pound that’s $1.15 per litre.

:evil: Smile

How much are you paying?

Mark Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Yakandjak has a terrific point!

Much of the world would dearly love to be in the situation the West complains about!

Sure, things can be better; and maybe they can be fixed.

But less than a month after the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday, let's be thankful for what we HAVE, not complain about what we WANT.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do you deserve your pay? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL