We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Card Shark @ JBMagic.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
Forget that the correct turn of phrase is 'Card Sharp' - but this looks good. Anyone dipped their toes in the water yet?

Dr. Zordas
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
If you watch the demo, I am sure you could probably make one yourself Smile
I'd recommend making the force card a short card to expedite the double lift when you "blow" on the card they signed.
I am sure most of know how he makes the shark disappear.
Great for kids.
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1187 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
I have this effect. Just came back from a lecture tour in the UK. When I was lecturing in Blackpool, Mark showed me this effect...very easy...very surprising...very commercial magic. The layperson that was in the magic shop freaked out! I picked one up immediately and I am very glad I did. A great trick for "the real world".

Yes, you could make one up yourself...but keep in mind...this in not in someone's lecture notes...this is a marketed effect. I feel you should ALWAYS pay the creator for their hard work.

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher
MUM Magazine
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
...It's very, very good. Just make sure you make your own 'bitten' card with a one-hole paper punch though. Looks MUCH better...

My gaffed card didn't relate to the supplied instructions (blue card / red deck) so it's recommended that you make TWO gaffs, red & blue.

Dr. Zordas
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Cody,
As long as you do not sell the secret to others, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with making your own.
Why pay when you can make it yourself?
To most of us, it is quite obvious he forces the bottom card (hindu) and is covering the "bite"
This can be improved on.
In my version I am working on, I have the Ace of hearts below it. This allows me to show them all the PIPs. I have the card shark on the face of a card and it dissapears face up! You can then show the shark as being gone quite easily by using some magical ideas no rough smooth)and I have the shark on back of the card.
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1187 Posts

Dear JSBLOOM,

I completely respect your opinion...but I do not agree with you. Just because you know how something works from watching it on the Internet...that does not give you the right to make it up for yourself. Had this item been in someone's lecture notes...then fine...but not a separate marketed item.

What if you figured out David Copperfield’s flying illusion? Does that give you the right to make one of those up too?

Respectfully,
Cody S. Fisher
MUM Magazine
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
It amazes me that guys think they see something on TV or the Internet and think they can just go ahead and do it. That's why magic has very little respect among the entertainment industry.

When Chris Korn did a wonderful "Voo Doo" card trick on Mondo Magic, someone posted that he was going to add that to his show right away. Yes, it's easy. No, it's not a problem to figure it out. But, what makes everyone think they can just go start doing it?

And, I will tell you, that I know first hand that Chris asks permission before he performs the effects. On an upcoming show he will do one of my items and he called long distance and asked me directly if I would consent. So, at the very least, if you're going to steal it, call the guy and ask him if it's okay.

I had a close-up show and lecture and someone (I think his name is Bob and he might be a doctor, if you get my drift,) went out and did my lecture verbatim. Did he truly think I wouldn't be lecturing in these towns sooner or later and they wouldn't remember? Every one told me about my little "road show," and, of course, when I presented it they remarked that now they knew how it is supposed to look. And, of course, the difficult stuff wasn't presented. No Rollover Aces version, no one-hand Spellbound trick. Those take work.

And speaking of taking work, isn't it interesting how all these magicians see Bill Kalush make a card visibly change face up on top of a deck. They know he simply did the Classic Pass so incredibly well that they saw nothing, so they know how it worked. It's a great visual effect. That seems to be the standard criteria for lifting a trick: it's a great trick and I know how it works. But, do they steal that? No. Why? Because it doesn't fulfill the third criteria; it takes practice and work.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Please can some one tell me where there is a patent on double lifts, passes, double back cards?
As long as you do not perform the SAME EXACT effect, what is illegal?
For example, Daryl marketed skinner's monte with easier cards to remember. Hmmmmmmmm
Villa
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Villa
JSBLOOM

I think you should buy the original, add your own touches then perform it. At the moment you have no ethical right to perform Mr Mason's marketed effect.

Would you have thought of using a shark if you hadn't seen the demo? I think not, thefore payment is due to Mark for the idea at least.

Villa
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Villa,
I respect your opinion, but.........
First of all, yes.
Card SHARK is a term known by many.
Second,
This trick is pretty close to one by MAX Maven where his little ghost vanishes.
Without the vanish, the shark can not disappear.
Covering the gaff, well Jay sankey does it in OUCH so that is NOT a MAK brand spankin new concept as well as doing a double lift to cover the color change and bite out. All he has done is pieced together sleights and there is no patent on sharks.
Villa
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Villa
I see there is a "Brand New" effect comming soon at Pen**** Magic that is called "Card Lion".

A card is selected and signed and a cartoon lion finds the card and takes a bite out of it .......

Villa
mr-mystic
View Profile
New user
Exeter, UK
44 Posts

Profile of mr-mystic
Lets get back on topic here shall we?

Card Shark is a good effect, however it appears that JBTV are back to their old tricks again regarding the videos. Once the original shark has vanished Mason states " and the rest of the deck is as clean as a whistle". Hmmm...Thats clearly not the case at all. I don't have the trick, but perhaps someone who owns this would care to comment.

MM.
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1187 Posts

I do have the trick so I can answer. You are not "clean" to the point that the spectator can examine every single card...however you are clean in that there is nothing you have to hide at the end. If you wanted to end completely clean you would need to ditch one card.

This definitely isn't "magician fooling" magic...it is however one heck of a commercial trick. Like I said earlier I saw this demo'd for a layperson and it blew them away! I have performed this several times and the reaction is always great.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Cody S. Fisher
MUM Magazine

exohordon
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of exohordon
Getting refills for shark stickers seems kinda costly.
Any alternatives?
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Exohordon,
You could also have them sign a sticker and place it on the card.
If you have artistic ability, you could make your own.
Villa,
Card lion?
Soon there will be card gator. Card pirana....
I guess we could do a card vampire and have then have their signed card have two holes in it
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
Quote:

On 2004-11-07 11:25, fishermagic wrote:
...Like I said earlier I saw this demo'd for a layperson and it blew them away...

...Hope they weren't *sold* the effect after seeing it!? Smile

Dr. Zordas
willrob999
View Profile
Regular user
UK
102 Posts

Profile of willrob999
Dr Zordaz got a point there
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
The demo video of the trick looks cool. A nice little trick.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Please listen to Cody and not discount this generous "worker's" comments. I fugured it out and am ordering it. A little integrity in our craft goes a long way!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
caseman
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
56 Posts

Profile of caseman
I just found this post about the marketed effect called Card Shark. Mark Mason of JBMagic fame does own the rights to it. It is my trick. I appreciate all the nice comments as well as those who disagree. It is a real piece of eye candy for laypeople and that is why I developed it, because that is who I get paid by. Anyway, if anyone wants more info on CardShark(Originally called Sharky) just PM me and we can talk further about additional ideas and cleanup and such. Remember what the spectator sees, they sign a red backed card, it vanishes, changes color and has a bite mark out of it to boot. I like effects in series of 3's and it fits the bill. Anyway thanks so much for those who like it, as well as those who do not.
"Don't forget the ACES"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Card Shark @ JBMagic.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL