The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Favorite Appearance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
I'm looking for an illusion to appear my female assistant. What's your favorite production illusion that is angle free and can be taken apart easily? The Blamo box comes to kind right away. Any others? Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Justin... are you just taking a poll or are you wanting to build/buy something cool?

There are variations to most of the older effects like the Shadow Box, that can now be done in the round. Too, you must consider what is appropriate to your personna on stage, the venue you are working, etc.

One of my favorites (ignoring the fact that I was the primary developer and first one to use it in a show) is a Ken Whitaker concept known as "From Thin Air"... you can do this on the stage floor or a raised platform... large colorful "sheets" are bellowed about to prove the floor area empty... suddenly, as they drop a 3rd or 4th time they take on the visable form of a human being (even though you can't see anyone or anything under the colored sheet as it lowers)... the exit can be done several ways... the sheets flown straight up... side reels pulling them into the wings... ala China Silke... however you see fit. The point is, you materialized from nowhere. I do not believe it is offered in the C.I. catalog any longer... However, for Rock Concert type venues C.I. does have a piece that was built and never taken possession of (last I heard)... a massive stainless steel and plexi panel that is flown in from over head... it spins about, locks horzontal, a laser tunnel/hologram pierces through the plastic and, in slow motion (think Elevator Illusion) you see a human form lower (from an Alien space craft, maybe?) and take position on the plexi panel...

This thing is killer! But for $20,000.00 what would you expect?

Coming back down to earth... To perform in the round requires one major expensive "tattle tale" item... a loading system, be it a base, steps, or whatever. If you have the money and resources go to one of the pros to get such devices (Bill Smith, John Gaughan or Michelangelo in Salt Lake -- contact him via On-Line Visions)

I mention Michelangelo for several reasons... he is reasonably priced, builds a solid product and has some very creative ideas behind what he builds. Michael is also in the process of developing a couple of devices for the illusion market, that will prove mind blowing (including a new version of the See-Thru Steps that's IMPOSSIBLE! Unlike anything anyone else has... and bear in mind, I helped develope the first See-Thru system @ C.I. years ago... these things are killers!)

I know I've stepped a bit outside your parameters, but when you start placing the kind of "restrictions" your question places, you start walking into the mega-buck world of special effects... the base, no matter which variation, being your best friend or worse nightmare, depending on the type and deceptivity as well as practical use elements (an Abbott Crystal Box base IS NOT the way to go... Smile )

Best of luck!
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
I'm looking to buy/build this illusion. Bases and stairs are all possible. 20,000 dollars is probably a little high. Ok...really too high. Smile I've always liked effects like the smoke tube (performed by Hans Klok on Worlds Greatest 5) but shudder at the thought of using that much fog.
Have you seen an effect where a curtain or silk is raised about 6 ft, then the bottom of the curtain or silk is raised about 2 ft to show that there's still nothing behind the curtain, then drop the entire thing to show that the girl has appeared! That's the kind of thing i'm leaning toward.
Priest
View Profile
New user
NYC
100 Posts

Profile of Priest
Quote:
Ken Whitaker concept known as "From Thin Air"...

Darmoe, do you know where I can find more info about this effect? Purchasing, etc?

~Priest~
"Funk is not something U can buy at the corner store.
It is something that U find deep within Ur Soul!"
.:The One Year Project:. .:Forums:.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
justinflom,

Try magicauction.com they have single plans for sale for many items. Click on some of the links or look at the finished items there to get Ideas. I think the singles sell for about 20-25 dollars. They sell some plan books too. I got a Wally Reid sketch book there for 12 bucks one time.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Two suitable productions that are angle free are available in Paul Osborne's Illusion Systems Book One.

The Palanquin Illusion and Modern Cabinet. Both of these illusions can be done surrounded and they are designed to take apart.

The real question left is whether or not you have cover prior to performance. Both of these require loading prior to doing the appearance.

Hope this helps.

Martin Blakley
Redbeard The Magical Pirate
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
How much construction goes into "From Thin Air"?

Jakks
Ben Simon
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Ben Simon
The Fire Cage is also really good but you see it in many shows...
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Have you seen an effect where a curtain or silk is raised about 6 ft, then the bottom of the curtain or silk is raised about 2 ft to show that there's still nothing behind the curtain, then drop the entire thing to show that the girl has appeared? That's the kind of thing I’m leaning toward.

That and the Flambé Appearance illusion built by Mendoza Magicraft also Bill Smith (Created by Kirby Van Birch) It costs $18,000.00+ and Plus the ATA case and it has some big ATA cases. It also has the propane flame.

A crystal box production like the new Chalet design will surprise you with how much audience reaction you will get, all for under $5000.00.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
Quote:
On 2002-12-05 11:28, BenediktLebert wrote:
The Fire Cage is also really good but you see it in many shows...

I know! That's what my family and I use for larger shows. It plays great.
Clayton Cavaness
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
56 Posts

Profile of Clayton Cavaness
Why not go with the Blamo Box? It is easy enough to build, but themed in a way unique to you and your show.
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
Justin,

You still haven't specified what kind of stage you are going to be performing on. But if it is a large stage that has proper lighting and such, you can do an appearance that is not unlike Copperfield's appearance in the Barkley House. Here's the effect in case you don't know it:

A thin table (no bases) is wheeled on to the stage. Then a contraption that holds white cloths which are rolled up is brought to surround the table. The cloths, except the one in front, are dropped. An assistant can go around the whole thing with a light to show that there aren't any hidden people behind the box. The front cloth is dropped and all of a sudden, we see a shadow materialize in the box. And a second later, all cloths are removed and a person is standing there.

Depending on the number of people you want to produce, you can build the contraption to fit anywhere from one to.... well....let's be reasonable and say four people. I personally have built two of these contraptions; one can accomodate one person and the other, three. The total cost to build both of them together was... well under 250 dollars and that includes, cloths, wooden plank that serves as table, legs for plank, wheels, rods for contraption and lights. But like I said, this effect does require some stage lighting and set-up. Just look at the Barkley House illusion and you'll see what I mean. I love this effect because it truly baffles people since, if you really wanna take it this far, you can even build the structure in front of them!!!!! hehehe... Oh, the power of suggestion, what would we do without it?!?!?!?

Peace,

Dorian Grey
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Hi Dorian Gray. I would be interested in the 250$ appearence. Is it okay to P.M you? Do you sell it?
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
I too would be interested in this illusion, any more info? Where I can get plans (if any), ease of performing, etc?

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
D. Silverfield and Nick,

This illusion is actually Copperfield's illusion. I don't know if he has exculsive rights to perform it. I hope not 'cause then I'm in trouble... hehehe. To be more precise, it is the appearance of the three spectators in his Barklay House illusion. I spend a very long time trying to figure out how he could have done it and then I did figure it out, well at least a method that seems to work for me (I can't say whether it's what he does or not because I honestly don't know) and I just use it by itself as an appearance. I don't think there are any plans. I mean, look at the Barklay House illusion and what you see is LITERALLY what you have to build. There's no 'deception' in the apparatus. It's only in the handling. Ease of performing: it can be pulled off quite easily as long as you're in a proper theater with proper lighting and capable of SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE black art... well it's not even black art really it's just... well look at Copperfield. Anyway, IF those requirements are fulfilled, you can perform it. It has to be rehearsed like crazy though. You can PM me, but I can't give away the secret so don't expect me to elaborate a LOT on it. But if I can, I'll definitely help you. I think, though, that if you watch Copperfield do the illusion and think outside of the box with what I've said so far.... and pay close attention to his handling... you can most definitely figure it out. All in all, it's a GREAT illusion. Packs faily small... well except for the large plank if you want to make more than one person appear.

Dorian Grey
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
My favorite for ceo's is simply a Elmo Test tube bunny. I use silks with the colors of the company. Blend them in the tube into a 90" square with the company logo.

As the girls hold it up in front of the mid travler, I simply shove the ceo or ceo's ( I have done six) through the curtain.

It plays well and packs small. I guess I was around Blackstone too much.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Mindfreak: Looks like I am digging out my DC Illusions tape set, and watching the Barclay House very,very,very closely.

Nick Fox

FoxIllusions.com
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
I agree with Darmoe and Clayton.
The shadow box and blammo both play very well and are easily themed.
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
I have designed a custom illusion which is a variation of a flash appearance and a rand woodbury flutter frame illusion, that might be right up your ally. PM me for details; it's going to be very cool and very affordable. Good luck. I love appearance illusions.
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
I'm actually working on a really cool appearance. It is the first illusion that I have designed which I know is well beyond my capabilities to create. But seeing as though this idea is still a long ways away from even coming off the drawing board I will shut my mouth.

Nick Fox

FoxIllusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Favorite Appearance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL