The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » An act in your wallet- where? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
To general to do a search on.I'm looking for referrences to tapes or literature on working out of your wallet.
Preferably mentalism.
Thanks
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Check FAT FREE MENTALISM by John Riggs.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Thanks for the referrence Juan.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
I first considered this challenge after reading a Joel Bauer interview; apparently, a guy who can do three hours out of a wallet. I've worked on developing something like this for over a year (doing a super-strong show out of my wallet) and I'm happy with what I've got.

I've found it's best to work on stuff that's propless, like muscle-reading, since you've got to be ruthless about saving space. For instance, I do my Bent Over Backwards alot, since it doesn't require anything but another person. I recommend looking for stuff that fits this requirement. Likewise, cold reading, although tough for some people in small groups, try that - if the group dynamics work (i.e. they're not discussing their readings while you're doing it). Additionally, you don't want to keep digging in your wallet, because that looks suspicious and it'll make other people want to dig in your wallet too.

But the mentalism in the wallet thing...

Everything in Awe-Sum total can be packed in my wallet - without making it bulky.

Card forcing works too; all you need to do is carry three or four different cards with you.

Greg Arce's Scorched can be packed this way: one card in one envelope.

Index cards. Very important. All you need is a dozen or so. Drawing dupes; predictions; out-to-lunch effects; all can be done with a small stack of these in your wallet (I use blank ones, without lines).

That's all I need for a solid hour. And it kills. If necessary, people can be managed so it plays very big. I can triple it with hypnosis stuff if necessary (and I've never found it necessary).

The wallet I use is a checkbook-style wallet (which holds a pen, which I use constantly) from TUMI. People often ask to look inside my wallet (okay, just women, and they're usually looking to see if the wallet is helping me out, but I secretly believe they're checking to see if the platinum cards are real). I can probably pack this into a smaller wallet, but it's very elegant this way and I can fit things like loops and index cards in there without damaging them.

I guess I'll also offer my approach to the whole thing: choose material that is super-strong. There is no reason to do anything else. Think about it this way: Jonathan Edwards can work without a wallet. Chris Rock can entertain millions with nothing more than a mic. Uri borrowed keys and spoons. Some people choose so-so material, just because it packs small. Don't let that be you. Be a great person, not a person with a great trick.

Lastly, I think Ted Lesley worked out something regarding an act in a wallet too. Ask him.

Oh, how about little coin envelopes for psychometry?

Maybe a couple of magnetic or steel-core coins too.

And some kind of flat pendant and chain for a pendulum.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Great post procyonrising.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
For a pendulum, why not wear a necklace that can be taken off and used as one? Probably not for everyone, but it might work for some.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
This is something I've been working on lately as well. I've put together a modular set that can run anywhere from 1 minute to 60 minutes, using only my business cards (some prepped in various ways), card case (guess which one), and a Sharpie. Okay, actually three Sharpies, all gaffed in different ways, but the audience is only aware of one. Throw in some borrowed coins to bend, and a borrowed necklace to use as a pendulum (why carry your own when you can let your audience carry your props for you?), and I'm set to: read people's minds, make them read my mind,
make them read each other's minds, demonstrate psychometry, have them do psychometry themselves, influence their thoughts and actions, tell when they're lying, make them see things that aren't there, sense the energy their body gives off (tattoo duplication - a favorite), predict what they will do and say, make their belongings bend and move, and read their past, present and future.

Not a bad list for one pocket's worth of props.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
I've been obsessed with the minimalist approach for so long : I belive that the be anytime-anywhere premise plus the "genetic packet-tricks descendance in our DNA" and the fact that you are supposed to read minds is what makes us become obsessed with the prop-less approach.

I literally "HATE" props, and I've had a hell of a time arguing with my magicians friends for that reason. But hey!, better for me!

These are the props for my "anyhwere act" :
- Business Cards
- NW
- 3 Pencils

Now, think about it : you can do lots of things using just that.

Your business cards can be transformed into an ESP deck at any time and they are much less suspicious that a deck purchased somewhere!

A couple more references to consider :
- PHANTINIS CHALLENGE MENTAL ACT
- DOCC HilfordS MATERIAL

Juan D
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Hey Juan,

What I'm about to say IS NOT directed at you or your post, but an expansion of my own opinion and thinking.

Why I didn't include PW or NW or business card stuff...

Basically, my thinking in developing the act-out-of-the-wallet included a consideration of being able to use it as a regular wallet AND have it examinable at any time. PW and NW kills, but I didn't want to carry a gimmicked wallet, nor did I ever want it to seem that I needed to use a pencil when there were thousands of pens around - and I wanted to borrow as much stuff from people as possible, if for no other reason than to cut down on space. (That's just my thinking though; different people do different things).

Business cards. My philosophy on this differs from a lot of mentalists. I think part of it comes from an anecdote I once heard about the hypnotist, Marshall Sylver. Sylver wears a diamond-encrusted watch worth about $150,000. He tells you explicitly, "my watch is worth over $150,000. When he flies somewhere, he sits in first class. So, he's there, sitting, drinking coffee, and the person next to him gets blinded by the jewels. They immediately gush "wow! what an amazing watch!" To which Marshall replies, "Thanks. It cost me $150,000." Then - and this is super-important - they exclaim, "$150,000! Wow! What do you do for a living?" And you should know the rest. So, it's not a personal item, it's a BUSINESS EXPENSE.

From that, and a few other anecdotes like it, I've learned that you increase your value if you value everything you offer - including business cards. I spent over $1000 getting my cards designed. Another $2500 getting them engraved and printed. Top quality. I've pretty much assured myself that no one can say they have better cards than mine. I never wanted to give the suggestion that they could be thrown away - I never wanted that to be an option. And I always thought using your business cards for effects does just that. Thus, all the notes and stuff are done on index cards. To get one of my business cards means you're special. Exclusive. I even offer a private 800 number on my cards to let them know they can call me anytime, anywhere; they're going to get the kind of service they expect from someone who charges my fees.

And, for the sake of total honesty and completeness, I go after two markets: private shows (like social events / black-tie fundraisers, so these cards are especially appropriate) and colleges - but especially colleges (where I spend the bulk of my efforts, because I love performing for colleges). So, where do the cards fit in on campus? Well, two things: (1) they offer a lot of credibility - before you even open your mouth - important b/c it's a competitive market; and (2), when you hand a card like that to a college girl, well... let me just say I don't spend many nights alone.

"Do you have a pen I can borrow?" Great misdirection.

And, for the record, I think it's totally okay to do PW and/or NW. I just don't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » An act in your wallet- where? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL