The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » David Copperfield's ace assembly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chris mayhew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto ON, Canada
179 Posts

Profile of chris mayhew
Just wondering did David make this ace assembly up or is it a marketed effect.

Also just for amusment if anybody owns David's 15 years of magic dvd you can do somthing really funny, I discoverd this by accident. Go to the second last part of the movie where it shows David talking about broadway shows with a white background behind him. You have to time this right but pause the dvd as soon as he says show. HE makes the funniest face. Try it.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Quote:
On 2004-10-10 14:54, fearless wrote:
JUst wondering did david make this ace assembly up or is it a marketed effect.

Also just for amusment if anybody owns davids 15 years of magic dvd you can do somthing really funny, I discoverd this by accedent. Go to the second last part of the movie where it shows david talking about broadway shows with a white background behind him. YOu have to time this right but pause the dvd as soon as he says show. HE makes the funniest face. Try it.

LOL Haven't you anything better to do?

Sorry I do not know if he released this.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
I own the dvd! the funny face - what word does he say when he makes the face! (nd yes its sad that you noticed that!) are there any hidden stuff on the dvd?
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
The effect is called grandfather's aces and I think him and gary quelett worked on the idea together
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Last I heard the trick was not released. It was fun to watch.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
DVA
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of DVA
Actually Oulette released his version of the effect. Kenner had a huge hand in it's creation notably the vanish of the three aces from the packets. This differs with the Oulette version which is a transposition of cards (aces for X cards). Finally, no the version Copperfield performed is not a marketed item.
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
404 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
It's never been released but there have been numerous attempts to profit from it. Oulette's is the most legitimate since his effect, Dream of Aces, is a version of MacDonald's aces that just happened to be released at the same time. They are both ace assmeblies but the similarities stop there. In Copperfield's effect the aces vanish to appear underneath what was previously a single card while in MacDonald's aces 3 indifferent cards are place on top of the leader ace and they change places with the other aces.

There have been other attempts to emulate the routine but none of them have all the real work and none of them are sanctioned by Copperfield. It's not like Misled, or Kevin James' Floating Rose or Room Service in which Copperfield bought the rights for his tour and then allowed the creator to profit from their popularity. This effect will probably show up in another Kenner book years down the road. At the moment, if you must know how it's done, Kenner's Totally Out of Control gives you all the clues you need.

Dave
crazymagic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of crazymagic
If you do Macdonalds ace, you will probably get the same reaction from an audience.
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
404 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
Quote:
On 2004-10-10 19:55, crazymagic wrote:
If you do Macdonalds ace, you will probably get the same reaction from an audience.

If you use the emotionally loaded intro that Copperfield used for his routine you probably will. When you set something up like that it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you do it well because you get the audience rooting for you and the feeling of, for want of a better word, nostalgia puts everybody in a supportive, appreciative mood.

Dave
chris mayhew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto ON, Canada
179 Posts

Profile of chris mayhew
Quote:
On 2004-10-10 16:24, DVA wrote:
Actually Oulette released his version of the effect. Kenner had a huge hand in it's creation notably the vanish of the three aces from the packets. This differs with the Oulette version which is a transposition of cards (aces for X cards). Finally, no the version Copperfield performed is not a marketed item.

I thought he just used the hinge change to vanish the aces?

Posted: Oct 11, 2004 2:51pm
----------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2004-10-10 15:15, macGyver(south Africa) wrote:
I own the dvd! the funny face - what word does he say when he makes the face! (nd yes its sad that you noticed that!) are there any hidden stuff on the dvd?

:lol: OK it's at the last part of the DVD. It is the very last white background part right before his snow from hands routine. You pause it near the begining of him talking. As soon as you hear him say, "broadway" pause it because he makes the face when he says show. Smile I have no friends, boo hoo. (I'm just kidding.)
DVA
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of DVA
Well he vanishes the aces the shows only three cards in tha packet. The entire card vanishes. In Mac Aces the ace transposes with an x card. Very different. Totally Out of Control does in fact tip the method. Not openly of course!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hey, I had such an ace assembly too back in 1980. It's the presentation and the rest of the PARTICULARS that make the DC thing what it is. Why not do your own expression? The basic "power of faith" is what it is. Go find your own way on this.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Strange but true, I actually SAW a marketed version of this a long time ago in a local magic shop here in Holland. I'm not very interested in buying tricks David Copperfield just performed on TV but I remember it well. It was the version where the aces disappeared from the packets and turned up underneath a single ace of spades.
Undoubtly one of the earlier unofficial versions of the latest tv-trick.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-10-11 18:06, DVA wrote:
Well he vanishes the aces the shows only three cards in tha packet. The entire card vanishes. In Mac Aces the ace transposes with an x card. Very different. Totally Out of Control does in fact tip the method. Not openly of course!
I actually don't follow and know *the latest* re versions of the Mac Donald aces, but Piet Forton way back in the early 1960s already did his version/handling of the Elsmsey count for the Mac Donald Aces and here he counted 4 as 4 using the DBs, but when placed/thrown on the table there where only 3 (examinable-if you so want too...what a waste of pace and time though)...

There where only three, weather he did spread 'em or just placed the cards down as a *bunch (containing) 3 cards in each, I can't recall..but the gaff was vanished and *removed*.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
DVA
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of DVA
Do you know if that version was ever put in print?
Thanks.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-10-12 10:47, DVA wrote:
Do you know if that version was ever put in print?
Thanks.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was..IIRC it was in *The Gen* way back...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
dmdk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of dmdk
What is the name of David Copperfield's cut.
And which book or DVD teaching this cut.
Thanks.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
The ultimate ace routine from penguins last vanish is something as close you to what Copperfield does.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
jefftravilla
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of jefftravilla
Quote:
On 2004-10-10 22:34, David Nelson wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-10-10 19:55, crazymagic wrote:

If you use the emotionally loaded intro that Copperfield used for his routine you probably will. When you set something up like that it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you do it well because you get the audience rooting for you and the feeling of, for want of a better word, nostalgia puts everybody in a supportive, appreciative mood.

Dave

We can all learn something from Copperfield on this note. I've never seen a magician that elicits such emotion from the audience. He burned himself out working to hard and lost that edge over the years, in my opinion. But the aces, the floating rose, the snow effect (sorry, don't know the proper name) and so many more... I could start to cry just thinking how beautiful they all were.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » David Copperfield's ace assembly (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL