The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Does any body know how to make a news paper torn and restored (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mshanker
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, KY
84 Posts

Profile of mshanker
There is much to be admired in Gene Anderson's newspaper tear and his book. That said I think it's important to realize that almost everybody knows how it's done.

Given that I'll give my vote to the No Tear Torn and Restored Newspaper. The gimmick makes the trick infallible and idiot-proof. More importantly it provides a comedy element if done right.

Manoj
Manoj
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
There really is not a way to tell you how to make it
You really need to buy it from Gene and learn it from the video or book. If we were to tell you how to make it, it would really not be right for Gene. The book and or video are not that expensive and are well worth your investment.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I know the Gene Anderson version has a lengthy set up but how lenghty? The first time you tried making it how long did it take? And now how fast can you make them?
Nick
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-04-04 16:07, walsall wrote:
I know the Gene Anderson version has a lengthy set up but how lenghty? The first time you tried making it how long did it take? And now how fast can you make them?
Nick

The 1st time it took an hour to put everything together. That does not include a trip to the hardware store. Now it take 15 minutes to make up properly, if I hurry. But usually, I am not on a time clock, so I take my time and do it right.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I don't think that should be to much of a problem then. I can make it while watching TV or something.
Nick
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
Hi Guys,

Just bought ($95.00), Better Newspaper Tear by Robert Baxt from Malloy Modern Magic. In the DVD, Robert constantly gives credit for the folds to the genius of Gene Anderson, and in fact he shows Gene's picture throughout the presentation. Robert has come up with a really fast and clean way to set up the presentation. His DVD is very thorough and when you're done, you can Tear and Restore the newsaper. I would strongly recommend it. The gimmick isn't new, but is cleverly adapted to this trick.

Pax Mentis
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
robert_baxt
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, CA. USA
87 Posts

Profile of robert_baxt
Dear PaxMentis,
Thank you for the nice words about my trick. Actually, I should have been giving credit to both Al Koran and Gene Anderson. The book, Lewis Ganson's "Routined Manipulations" published in the middle of the last century has Al Koran's version of the trick and is the source for the folds. Gene Anderson mentions him too in the manuscript for his trick. Gene's method is wonderful and very beautiful, but in reply to a previous poster:
"On 2005-04-04 16:07, walsall wrote:
I know the Gene Anderson version has a lengthy set up but how lengthty? The first time you tried making it how long did it take? And now how fast can you make them? Nick

The 1st time it took an hour to put everything together. That does not include a trip to the hardware store. Now it take 15 minutes to make up properly, if I hurry. But usually, I am not on a time clock, so I take my time and do it right."

What I want to say is the "Baxt Newspaper Tear" can be set-up in under 60 seconds. That's 14 more minutes I can spend on other stuff instead! The best analogy someone said to me about these two tricks was "Do you like your tomato sauce from a jar or from scratch?" If you don't mind the extra preparation, time, and hassle certainly use Gene's method. It's great! But for a lot less work I like my method for what seems to me to be all but identical results. The proof is in the pudding. Taste each and you can decide for yourself.
Alexandermagic
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
22 Posts

Profile of Alexandermagic
After doing Mr. Anderson's version in my stage show for years, I bought the Better Newspaper Tear to see if it was really better.

It is. All advances have gains and losses. What you lose is having a much heavier newspaper to deal with. This takes some song and dance to get around. But what you gain is a much much cleaner showing of the torn pieces just before the restoration. I think that's a trade up. I always felt somewhat guilty about that last "fold over" with the Anderson version before restoring. It's hard to cover.
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I'm with Alexandermagic on this one.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Not which one you saw, but Whit Haydn won several rounds of a TV talent show doing a TnR newspaper with electrical tape in the 70s, I think (maybe 80s). Best version you'll ever see.

Quote:
On 2004-11-06 12:05, YVRDave wrote:
I also saw the electrical tape (well it was duct tape) version, but my favorite version, is when the paper is being restored, one piece falls to the floor, apparently unnoticed by the magician. When the restored paper is unfolded, one pice is missing.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Robert Baxt is the man. I use his adaption of Genes'. With the other 14 minutes Robert you can always read the paper.

Bairefoot
Brian S. Tanner
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Brian S. Tanner
I've done the Anderson version for several years, and always got a strong reaction from it. I recently purchased the Baxt Better Newspaper Tear and used it for the first time on 8/29/2007 . It got just as strong of an audience reaction as the Anderson method. Yet the set up on Baxt's is faster, cleaner, and easier than Mr. Anderson's.

Hmmm.....Same effect, equally entertaining, less set up time. Can anyone guess which version I'll use from now on ?
Judge:How do you plead?
<BR>Defendant:I plead insanity.
<BR>Judge:Insanity?
<BR>Defendant:Yep. I'm just crazy about that stuff!
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
With the SAME effect as Anderson's, Baxt's version is the most practical IMHO. Much more expensive, but to a working pro it will pay for itself quickly. The weight of the gimmick has an advantage in the restoration.

Baxt's method is my favorite so far.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Sometimes "best" depends on what you do with it. The Anderson Tear was my signature piece for close to 25 years. I used to do a repeat of it at the Renaissance Festivals. I learned to perform it in the wind, and I could even do it almost totally surrounded.

Robert's idea is VERY good. If I didn't get the kind of response from what I do with the Anderson tear, I would do Robert's. I have the prop.

Regarding setup time -- when I set up for a trade show or a Renaissance Festival, I will make up 8 complete tears and 8 refills. If I am starting from scratch, it takes me an average of five minutes per completed T & R set.

I found a source of free newspapers. I'm not referring to going up to a newspaper vending machine, dropping in the price of one newspaper and ripping off the vendor. Drop me an e-mail at curator@cupsandballsmuseum.com for the information. Do not PM me for this, please.

I had a funny experience in Hollywood, Florida once. I was hired to do a trade show, and I needed 40 newspapers to have the proper number to do all the shows I was going to do. There were no newsstands open at the time. So I got a couple of rolls of quarters at the hotel I was staying in and went to every vending machine I could find and harvested the papers. I paid for all of them. I was just about to return to the hotel, when a police officer came over and asked where I got all the papers.

I said, "I'm not surprised you asked, officer. I got them from several different machines. I'm doing a trade show at the ________ hotel during the next couple of days, and I need them for one of my routines. I paid for all of them, though. If you would like to check, you can call the fellow who supplies the papers to all of the machines that I got them from and see if the correct amount of money is in each one of them."

He believed me, and there was no further problem.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Does any body know how to make a news paper torn and restored (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL